Foster Dogs

Ooooooh so chequeredblackdog adopted Smudge after all! I was wondering whether that visit was just a friends visit, as in, you guys are friends - but I guess not! ;)

Congrats cbd, and koala, for doing such a great job with them :)

Ooooooh so chequeredblackdog adopted Smudge after all! I was wondering whether that visit was just a friends visit, as in, you guys are friends - but I guess not! ;)

Congrats cbd, and koala, for doing such a great job with them :)

Hee hee! Yes, cbd adopted little Smudgie. I couldn't be happier. The visit was a meet and greet to make sure that all the doggies could co-exist peacefully. Reggie seems as game as Hoover for having his head nommed by a puppy and Sadie endured the pesky puppy so all went very well :D

There were a few applications for Smudge but I kept waiting for the perfect home to come along and it did :) Hopefully I didn't misrepresent Smudge - I think she's wonderful but I am probably biased :D

Edited by koalathebear

Alas, Nutmeg's new owners aren't big on updating but she is in a wonderful home and I did receive this lovely photo of her :)

nutmegprincess.jpg

I still miss her and Smudge so much - chubby little buddies, waggy tails and funny little puppy noises :) I really hope I never have fosters with me for so long again. The longer they're with you, the sicker they are - the more attached you get :cry:

Aw, that's such a gorgeous photo of Nutmeg - and I really love the chair too! (sorry, I know that's completely irrelevant.. we're chair-hunting at the moment though, so I'm particularly attuned) :laugh:

I totally understand how hard it is to let them go when they've been with you so long, too :( My current foster has been with us for about 3 months now and it's going to kill me when he goes. I've loved them all, but this little guy is just PERFECT. And our first one was with us for 6 months. SO hard!!

It is a very nice chair and many people have admired it :)

Here is a photo of Nutmeg (now Nina) at the local park playing with other doggies. Her new owners say that she loves playing with all dogs - big and small and she has learned how to get the ball and bring it back to be thrown again :)

nutmegball.jpg

So, as chequeredblackdog has mentioned, she has put a ton of photos of Smudgie over in the Kelpie thread here. I've stolen a few of my favourites to post here.

29aug13_01.jpg

29aug13_04.jpg

29aug13_05.jpg

Smudige loves her big brother Reggie sooo much

29aug13_06.jpg

29aug13_10.jpg

Though small, she is plucky!

29aug13_20.jpg

Beautiful Smudgie ...

29aug13_19.jpg

In other news, while we are on a break from fostering.... we kind of have a temp care foster with us right now. Meet Miller. He's a 6 month old Border Collie Cross. Little Miller was adopted by a very loving family a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, his Adopted Grandmother was hospitalised last week and the family were unable to keep him because of pressures from extended family. We are trying to find him a new home in Canberra to save him another Long Journey, but if we cannot, he will go back to his original loving foster carer who is very, very happy to have him back.

Miller was originally dumped along with his littermates at the pound. His whole life, he has grown up with young children and dogs and is a very friendly and happy little dog. He loves people, gets along beautifully with other dogs. He waits for his food and can sit, drop and rollover. He is also house-trained and travels well in a car. He also walks well on a loose leash. He was not crate-trained, but we put him in a crate last night and he was fine and he slept quietly all night in his crate until we let him outside to toilet this morning.

Heaps of photos of Miller are here, but just a few for this thread :)

miller29august_02.jpg

miller29august_03.jpg

miller29august_05.jpg

30aug13_01.jpg

Our three took to him just fine and were introduced to him in our kitchen. No aggro or tension. Elbie, Hoover and Dodge always seem to be fine with the fosters.

He has dark, soulful eyes

30aug13_02.jpg

He is just slightly smaller than Dodge

30aug13_03.jpg

He is very friendly

30aug13_06.jpg

30aug13_13.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

Gawsh, he is so adorable too - he's going to be such a handsome dog! Man, this thread is making me seriously kelpie-clucky. ARGH. Not that I could ever have a kelpie cause I'm realllllllly allergic to them... these guys are all so cute though!

Gawsh, he is so adorable too - he's going to be such a handsome dog! Man, this thread is making me seriously kelpie-clucky. ARGH. Not that I could ever have a kelpie cause I'm realllllllly allergic to them... these guys are all so cute though!

Oh that's such a shame!!! My brother is the same. He LOVES Hoover so much but he is so deathly allergic to dogs that just a few cuddles and pats and he's sneezing up a storm. Sadly for me, there is never a shortage of working dogs around ... there are way way way way too over-represented in pounds and it is heart-breaking :'( Kelpies and Kelpie mixes are such a dime a dozen and people treat them like rubbish but they are SUCH smart, beautiful, loyal and smoochy dogs ... *gets off soapbox*

Yup, I hear you - there's never a shortage of SWFs either, which has become my specialty! I always get the fat male SWFs to slim down :laugh:

Haha! It's funny, usually we get dogs who are too THIN so we have fatten them up. The only dog that went the other way was Ollie, he was a little porky when we got him so we slimmed him down. As you can see from this video, Elbie and Hoover helped with Ollie's weight loss programme from the first moment they met him!!!

And here's a photo from former foster Baxter's owners. Baxter was previously Nova the sad and mistreated Kelpie.

baxteraugust2013_02.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

Miller's meet and greet went very well but the dad gets back from deployment Wednesday and will need to meet him, too.

So just in case, I've put together a music video for little Miller :)

He is such a beautiful little dog with such a lovely nature - I hope he can find his forever home soon.