Shoulder Xray Cost

Hello,

A friend of mine with a Lab X BC 2 years old has been limping and her vet has said it would be $700 with sedation.

I thought this was excessive.

The machine had broken down and won't be repaired for 3 weeks.

I told her to shop around.

Just thought you wonderful DOLers might be able to help with an average price for comparison when she does her ringing around.

Thanks,

:)

Not sure about shoulder xrays but I pay around $250 for consult/sedation/spinal xray. I did pay $700 once but that was a general anaesthetic with spine and hip xrays, dental, fluids, consult etc.

ETA This was for medium sized dogs.

Edited by kayla1

Wow these are all expensive, Last week I went to the Sandown vet (at the racecourse ) and paid $44 for consultation and $150 for the shoulder X-ray! No sedation, wasn't needed. The horse vet who comes to use isnt much more than tis and brings his own machine! So please shop around, all these prices seem totally out of control!

Most dogs will not lay still for a shoulder X-ray so sedation is normally required.

Cheapest is not always the best option. Experience, knowledge n best medicine should considered along with cost :)

If the xray is being done because the dog is in pain, they will need at the very least sedation, as the shoulder will have to be manipualted and xrayed in various positions and would hurt the dog if he was awake. Nobody can really quote you for that, just give youa rough idea.