Doggie Issue

There are DOLers with dogs which have seizures ... I've read stories on here previously..

I hope your vet is giving you heaps of support, and that your little dog is on the most helpful medication. Seizures just minutes apart is a very serious and scary thing :(

Our old chi who has passed away now had a couple of seizures. He would just zone out and shake for a minute or two and then be exhausted afterwards.

The vet basically said it could be due to epilepsy but there's no way to know for sure and just to watch him. It stopped after that and it never happened again.

He lived to almost 17, was diagnosed with a brain tumor and eventually had to be PTS.

If it is happening so frequently I would definitely be looking at medication and getting whatever tests you can done too.

Basically once they rule everything else out they say Epilepsy but it can be due to different things. Our boy only had two and didn't have them frequently or consistently enough to warrant further investigation.

Edited by Aussie3

Hi Aussie, my mate, when she has these grand mauls, her whole body goes stiff as a board, and is unable to stand.

She falls down, her eyes become big. And she doesn't know someone is there, the lights aren't on.

She's not a young dog, no she's not on meds, as the vets told us she'd be like zombied out.

She does sleep a lot, both during the day & night. She was being fed dog dry food but we changed her to all fresh meat food.

This we thought helped as her seizures went from 3- 5 a day to 1-2 a day, but now were back to 3-5.

Just not sure what to do.

Hi Aussie, my mate, when she has these grand mauls, her whole body goes stiff as a board, and is unable to stand.

She falls down, her eyes become big. And she doesn't know someone is there, the lights aren't on.

She's not a young dog, no she's not on meds, as the vets told us she'd be like zombied out.

She does sleep a lot, both during the day & night. She was being fed dog dry food but we changed her to all fresh meat food.

This we thought helped as her seizures went from 3- 5 a day to 1-2 a day, but now were back to 3-5.

I would be changing vets immediately. My dog was diagnosed with epilepsy just a month ago. Yes the medication zombied him out for the first 2 weeks but with trial and error he is now functioning just fine on it and doing well. You need to have full bloodwork done to rule out other possible causes but if it IS epilepsy then put your dog on the medication it will at least give some quality of life and this medication is not expensive. My dog is on Phenomav. The first dosage he was put on was awful he could hardly walk he was so zonked but it was tweaked and we now have a good outcome. You owe it to the dog to at least try. I wish you all the best.

See another vet. You should be focussing as much as possible on identifying a cause for the seizures and preventing them if you can.

Did your vet explain to you that every time your dog has a seizure it's causing her brain damage?

There's either something happening in her brain OR she has epilepsy. There is at least a chance that the right medication can help her.

Diet will not fix this - as you have found out.

Frankly, if my dog was experienceing this many grand mal seizures every day, I'd be considering whether it was time to give her her wings.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

There's either something happening in her brain OR she has epilepsy. There is at least a chance that the right medication can help her.Diet will not fix this - as you have found out.

Frankly, if my dog was experienceing this many grand mal seizures every day, I'd be considering whether it was time to give her her wings.

yes..grand mal (not maul) seizures are terribly damaging , and exhausting , and rob a dog of quality of life.

Another vet who WILL answer questions and do tests is a very good idea.

Edited by persephone

Seeing your dog have seizures is very traumatic and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. You say your dog is not young, I would definitely be checking for any issues with her brain and if all is clear PLEASE put her on meds for epilepsy.

My dog, Casper, has been on phenobarbitone for 7 years and Potassium Bromide for 4 - he has been seizure free for 4 years now. The side effects will last a couple of weeks but quite frankly, I'd rather have me dog be a zombie for a couple of weeks than have him seize 3-5 times.

Also, have a look at this site: www.canine-epilepsy.com as you may find some useful information.

Good luck to you and your little dog.

Hi my mini schnauzer suffered from epilepsy from the age of 4. She lived to 14.5 years old. Her seizures were very traumatic and she had "cluster" seizures, where she would come out of one fit, then almost immediately go into another. She was treated and medicated and she was pretty much seizure free from age 4 to about 8, then she started to have some more, so the vet increased her medication and no more seizures at all. I would most certainly be seeing another vet and getting your dog medicated. Even on the medication, which I was told may shorten her life (14.5 yrs old isn't too bad!), she lead a normal, healthy life.

There's either something happening in her brain OR she has epilepsy. There is at least a chance that the right medication can help her.Diet will not fix this - as you have found out.

yes..grand mal (not maul) seizures are terribly damaging , and exhausting , and rob a dog of quality of life.

Another vet who WILL answer questions and do tests is a very good idea.

Tonic clinic I believe it is now called. The suddeness and severity of the attacks would really concern me. Id be worried about brain tumours or something environmental. Its been a while since my epileptic dog passed so im not as current on the literature as i used to be but my understanding was that epilepsy was diagnosed when there was an absence of any other explainations. Time to get a vet who is capable of more than just administering vaccinations.

Which area in Vic are you in? Perhaps people could suggest a good vet for you to see.

I'm in Brunswick and am happy to suggest a vet in this area, who I trust and will continue to go to.

Hi crisovar, my dog does not need a new owner, before you criticize me, let me tell you, I have gone in debt for my animals, they are my number 1 priority, I did take her to a vet, obviously not the right one, I have since found another vet, whom has explained what grand maul seizures are & what happens, which other vet didn't, we are on meds now.

The other vet suggested to pts but I didn't feel it was time.

Another thing I love this bloody dog, I rescued her as a pup, taught her how to walk on a lead, & not all humans are going to beat her.

Another thing this dog has gotten me through some very dark times in my life. Eg, try having a subnaracnoid bleed & stroke, and see how you feel, it was my dog who laid with me when I got out of hospital after 3 months, it was she who put a smile on my face, when I'd cry all the time, knowing my life would never be as it was. It was my dog who I only remembered out of all our animals.

Now it me who sits on the floor with her when she has the seizures, it's now me who cleans up after her, it's me who will have to make the decision to let her go, it will be me who digs her grave. It's me who will miss her terribly.

It's me who posted on this forum for advice, it's me who took the advise,

Now tell me if she needs a new owner.