Pet Insurance ... ?

Emmzy

Hi there,

I'm just curious what peoples thoughts are on "Pet Insureance"

I've done some search online after hearing about pet insureance on the television.

Do you have it? Who do you find best? Is it worth it?

Any feedback would be great!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have it for both my pugs, I'm with Pet Plan because they cover things for more than 12 months, whereas everyone else only will cover a condition for 12 months.

There are heaps of threads on here, just do a search.

I'm with RSPCA pet insurance. You don't get all your money back (75-80%), but it certainly softens the blow. I found it had the least 'loopholes' (i.e. things not covered) and theres no excess.

I read alot of PDS's when I looked around. It was horrible :( but my main piece of advice would be to do just that, read everything because there are significant differences in levels of cover, whats covered, whats not etc. Its about finding a product that suits your breed (moreso your individual dogs propensity to do harm to self :rofl: ) and your budget.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

I'm with Real Pet Insurance - can't fault them so far. I can't remember exactly but I think I get back 80% of everything claimed. I've only claimed once, and I received payment within 2 working days or something ridiculously quick. There were no problems with the pay out, and it came much sooner than they had told me it would. I also just got a $50 cheque in the mail for having been with them for a year, even though I claimed in that time!

As with any other insurance, it's not worth it until you need it, in which case it's brilliant. I personally am really happy to pay for it, because I know it means I'm never going to have to make the kind of devastating life or death call based on my ability to pay. For me, it's really a safety net so that if something really bad happened and my dog needed thousands of dollars of vet treatment, I wouldn't have to weigh up whether I could pay it or not, and make my decision on how to treat her based on that.

Guest donatella

I'm with Real Pet Insurance - can't fault them so far. I can't remember exactly but I think I get back 80% of everything claimed. I've only claimed once, and I received payment within 2 working days or something ridiculously quick. There were no problems with the pay out, and it came much sooner than they had told me it would. I also just got a $50 cheque in the mail for having been with them for a year, even though I claimed in that time!

As with any other insurance, it's not worth it until you need it, in which case it's brilliant. I personally am really happy to pay for it, because I know it means I'm never going to have to make the kind of devastating life or death call based on my ability to pay. For me, it's really a safety net so that if something really bad happened and my dog needed thousands of dollars of vet treatment, I wouldn't have to weigh up whether I could pay it or not, and make my decision on how to treat her based on that.

This is good feedback, I'm with Real but never had to use it (thankfully) so glad they haven't been knobs when it comes to paying out.

This is good feedback, I'm with Real but never had to use it (thankfully) so glad they haven't been knobs when it comes to paying out.

Yep - compared with some horror stories I've heard about medibank, Real seems to be brilliant.

Guest donatella

Yep - compared with some horror stories I've heard about medibank, Real seems to be brilliant.

I've heard horror stories with Medibank as well (but i've also heard some good ones too). There is one person who has been burned by Medibank and has condemned all pet insurances to hell, no amount of "but there are other companies who have far better reviews" can convince her otherwise.

Oh well, I hope Real continue their service. Thankfully i haven't had to claim yet.

I have one dog with PetPlan and another with Medibank. PetPlan take YONKS to pay out claims, and I find their general customer service lacking (had a few issues with them), but overall they're ok.

I've found Medibank are generally quicker to payout than PetPlan, taking 2 weeks, though one claim took ages. Medibank are one of the only companies that will NOT give you pre-approval before you go ahead with a surgery or whatever, so you have to send it in and pray they will cover. That part sucks about them. They have so far paid me out over $3500 this year, with a couple more grand in claims about to go in. Certainly in this instance, I am very grateful to have pet insurance! I get back 100%, until my renewal comes though sometime this year, where I drop to 80% :(

• 3 weeks later...

Dog insurance, how times have changed !!!

Had my first dog (Ted,short for Shithead) in 1987.Blue Cattle dog and was 19 at the time and insurance was the furthest thing from my mind. Then again the world was a different place also, but this can be discussed at another time.

Ted had his yearly vaccinations,a few bumps and bruises and all was O.K.

Fast forward to 2010 and a lot had happened in between. Ted had long gone.

Trying to live up to the worlds best ever dog that had lived ( in my mind ) was Digger and Honey. Digger = a Red Cattle dog with what we suspect a Labrador had enjoyed his time as well. He had no Papers + Honey = Purebred Ridgeback.

Both beautiful dogs/mates. Digger was relatively problem free apart from a few episodes of 'Hotspots' which since have settled down. Honey only seemed to have a problem when we went away camping and she would would get a U.T.I. from what we suspect of not going to the toilet often enough.Minor problems.

To cut a long story short, Digger ruptured his Cruciate Ligament in right leg, our vet recommended Sash at North Ryde, Sydney. After arrival first thing they ask do you have insurance = answer no, never thought of it. Approx $5000 and a week later there goes the other Cruciate = $5000 and then complications plus follow ups,a few sessions of physio which we thought after surgery would only help in recovery and in hindsight would do again. Total approx woe estimate $15,000.

Advance time and we come to taking on a third dog/mate Lucky. He was insured in the first couple of days and '"she who must be obeyed " chose RSPCA.

He is approx 6 months. So far a claim of $116 and we get back 80%. Cheque should be here by Tuesday at the latest.

That is 1 experience and would recommend pet insurance but it is an individual decision.

Best of luck. :) :) :)

• 1 month later...
Guest donatella

Does anyone have insurance that gives discount for more then 1 pet? My current one doesn't so its $60 a month for 2 and I'm sure I can get a better deal then that...

Pet insurance is a good idea for at least the first 1-2 years. That's because this is the highest risk period for accidents and if anything nasty is going to turn up such as allergies, reactions to vaccinations or heartworm meds, HD etc chances are its going to happen in the first 2 years.

I've got prosure and unfortunately tried to claim for a ear infection in the first 30 days so now it is excluded completely (not happy) then when Ava was 9 months she got ocd and had to have $3,500 worth of surgery and xrrays, thankfully we got 80% of that back otherwise I would still be broke. Overall I would chose pet insurance regardless, even though you hopefully won't need it it's always good to have it just incase.

I wish i would have taken it out from the minute i brought my pup home, ive now got it but have a few things excluded.

Tara I think that's right. I went to insure Mac as a six year old (when I first got him) and they were going to exclude everything but his right big toe. I cheekily asked if with so many exclusions the premium would be reduced??!! :rofl:

So I simply save into my mortgage for him. (Sarah is insured with PetPlan - and they've been fine)

But if I'd had Mac as a puppy I would have insured him the day he came home - when he had no history. So I think thats the trick.

Edited by westiemum

After the medical issues Miss Em ended up with I'm really nervous about not having pet insurance, so both my 2 are insured and so far haven't had to claim. But Em cost me about $10K in the 6 months or so before she died and all of it would have been covered by pet insurance, but she was too old to be insured when I got her. So I've figured out that if either of my 2 end up in emergency once or twice in their lives the insurance could pretty much end up paying for itself through something like that alone.