Slinky Vs Sloughi

kels84

Kels you are obviously determined to have your dog identified as a very rare breed, so rare there is none other in the country, so just call her whatever you want. Slinky looks like a nice dog, just love her for what she is, a dog of unknown breeding. If it makes you feel better to call her a Sloughi to you friends well, I don't understand that need, but it seems you need to do it. Maybe next time actually buy a registered pure breed and then you won't be so torn, all your threads seem to be about what breed is my dog.

First one just looks like a greyhound x to me, possibly all greyhound just poorly bred.

Lots of things about the first dog are nothing like a sloughi, ear set is all wrong for a start. I don't know the technical names for it but a sloughi's ears usually sit flat and on the side of the head (kinda like a viszla or gsp) a greyhounds sit semi pricked and flick out like your dog's.

Add to the fact that there are no sloughis in Australia so how could one end up in your backyard without you knowingly importing from a breeder overseas and therefore knowing it is a sloughi?

I think you are being confused by the colour and general body shape kels. Black mask fawn is a common colour and pattern that crops up in a lot of breeds, it means nothing.

The general body shape similarities are just because both Greyhounds and and Sloughis are sighthounds bred to chase down prey with speed - you can see lots of similarities across breeds designed for a somewhat common function even when they share no genetic heritage. Form follows function. But there are also a lot differences between Sloughis and Greys that an experienced eye will pick up, and people have already mentioned a couple.

There is absolutely no way Slinky is a Sloughi.

Edited by Diva

Actually no one can say there aren't any Sloughi's in Australia,many people bring there pets from overseas ,There are a number of breeds never seen in the show ring or on a registered list but are in the country.

But in this case one is a Sloughi & the other certainly isn't

Actually no one can say there aren't any Sloughi's in Australia,many people bring there pets from overseas ,There are a number of breeds never seen in the show ring or on a registered list but are in the country.

But in this case one is a Sloughi & the other certainly isn't

Maybe so, but the "what is more likely" test applies to this stuff and that isn't a Sloughi, as you say.

Speaking generally, this is far from the first instance of "I've got a rare sighthound breed from the shelter/shop" here on DOL. If people want a beautiful exotic sighthound, there are lots of lovely options available through breed rescue or quality breeders. I don't know why there seems to be this fad for identifying frequently occurring Australian rescues as rare breeds. If you want a rare and beautiful sighthound, research the options and then get one from a reputable breeder or breed rescue.

I am not bagging the poor buggers who end up in the pounds after failing at the track or at pigging or at sitting and looking tough on the owners ute. I feel for them, and they deserve a chance just like every other dog. However, if what your heart really wants is a beautiful well bred sighthound, then go and get one - this whacky business of dismissing the advice of people who have made a long term study of the breeds while coveting what they work to preserve is just, well, weird.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Rescues & pet shops do havea lot to answer for.

All to often you do see breeds that in all reality it isn't & yes many are overseas breeds & the chances are nil but will just call it that.

The pictures above is fairly obvious they are not the same breed .

I recall a pet shop here listing some breed in there shop as a very rare in country of origin gundog breed.

You didn't have to be to smart to see they where Border collie crosses .

It is very annoying that many do get away with very obvious misleading info .

We run boarding kennels & get alot of rescues through & the owners list them as ****** & when it comes in its nothing like any of those breeds .

We generally say to the owners look it isn't that some get narky others say great & we only tell people what we believe people would recognize it as if lost .

Lets take the photos above if dog A was lost & listed as a Sloughi all dog savvy people would say no to having such dog in there.

You say is there a Greyhound cross & you would get the answer straight away .

We board a dog listed as Boxer cross on the rescue papers & it is very much a Basenji cross,Same size,yodel,scream & breed nature but certainly not pure & not one feature of a Boxer except its red/white .