Dark Bloody Discharge

Lynai

In the famous words of Gilda Radner: its is always something!!!

Last night I noticed a brown mucus substance and thought my girl may have passed her plug, unfortunately it soon turned into a darker brown drip (I have seen this before in my other girl with dead pups inside)..so off we go this morning, ultra-sound showed 4 plus pups with good heart rates (we couldn't see them all as they were piled in) the other horn had what appears to be two dead pups and unconfirmed heart rate on the other.

We we are just a few days too early to take the pups, the earliest we could do this and have viable pups would be Friday. We put her on antibiotics as a percaution although her temp was fine...and she is on bed rest so to speak, she has been pretty sedate in the house regardless.

The last time this happened we were able to perform the c-section right away and two of the four pups were saved. One of the dead pups had obviously been in there for awhile dead as it literally fell apart when brought out (yuck!).

Anyone have experience having a blood drip days before a c-sec can be done with a good outcome? She isn't smelly and the blood lightened up today to a lighter mucus that is pink tinged and the vet thought that was a good sign..

Sighhh, I have been wanting this litter so long, I am not freaked out, but just concerned mainly for my girl and secondly for the pups.

Edited by Lynai

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( Oh shite Lynai.

Sometimes it just seems the more we want it, the harder it gets.

Good she's on AB's, Yes I've seen quite a few where one horn has dead & decomposing puppies & the other's have been ceasared or whelped successfully.

I guess its a case of monitoring mum & the surviving bubs and the vet being really proactive. Dark blood is expected with whats happening, any colour change and straight to vet.

Same goes for when the other's are born, keep puppy AB's handy just in case, and have some probiotic on hand.

Sending healthy mum & bubs thoughts your way.

fifi

Thanks fifi,

I am holding onto hope, our choices were between two bad scenarios, one we take them today, too early and watch them fade, or two we keep them in, hoping with the AB's and a little prayer, we can have some viable pups come friday. We may end up with none, but my way of thinking was at least there would be a chance, if we took them today the chance of survival would be very slim indeed.

Right now, as of today we are at day 58 since ovulation and day 56 since breeding (surg a.i.) two more days would give us a big boost towards puppy viability, so c-sec would be on day 61 since ovulation and day 59 from breeding date.

Edited by Lynai

So sorry this is happening.

IMO, it is a 50/50 either way. Realistically (pessimistically) whichever way you go you could have a poor outcome, but it is still possible to have a successful outcome as well with a lot of luck and good planet alignment.

So my vote would be to hedge your bets and leave them where they are for at least a couple more days. PROVIDED mum is ok and doing well and showing no signs of toxicity. I think the lightening of the discharge is a good sign and whilst mum is resting comfortably you are doing all you can do, and more than you'd be able to do if you risked premie puppies which are even more fragile.

Good luck with it.

Well the best laid plans of man are always laughed at by those more powerful..

Selah decided these pups are coming today/tonight. I have one stillborn and other is squalling and had a good nursing reflex and started nursing right away. He is small but healthy looking otherwise and has energy. Selah cleaned him up and I let him nurse and now he is being kept warm in a box with a heat source, don't want him getting chilled.

Selah needs to get back to work...as long as they keep coming, we'll just play it by ear, its after midnight so this will indeed be a August litter..hopefully they will stay with me.

Edited by Lynai

Ah, you edited after I posted. Those dates don't really concern me at all. With careful management I've seen puppies survive after birth at Day 53. Keep them warm and personally I'd not be trusting the suck reflex at this stage, I'd be tubing in addition to the suckling off mum. Just to make sure that the calory in vs feeding energy balance is kept on the plus side because it will be this, together with warmth that keeps them trundling along.

Good luck with them.

Well Selah delivered or I should say stopped delivering at her third, I had to reach in and pull out a still born pup, nicely formed, but was not in it's sac, and had suffocated, I believe this is the one that was showing the blood.

Off to the vet we go as she is obviously needing these pups out...

We did a quick ultra sound and only found one heart beat, but being what it was, we thought that was going to be the one to save and perhaps we could salvage two pups.

Well lo and behold, out pop five very healthy squalling pups! :D Palates are closed, good reflexes, one is a bit smaller and weaker so he has my undivided attention at feeding time, I make sure he is on first and so forth and he seems be to doing okay.

I have ,two girls and four boys, I'm hoping one of the girls is my keeper and future show prospect.

And I wanted to add, my husband was like a school kid when he saw them, he was so thrilled. This is a guy who was raised in the middle east (Iran) and really wasn't , much of a dog person, but supported me and my interest, but today, he was going on and on taking videos, pictures and saying how he didn't know how he was going to see them go some day, lol, he is such a good man.

Edited by Lynai

Well Selah delivered or I should say stopped delivering at her third, I had to reach in and pull out a still born pup, nicely formed, but was not in it's sac, and had suffocated, I believe this is the one that was showing the blood.

We did a quick ultra sound and only found one heart beat, but being what it was, we thought that was going to be the one to save and perhaps we could salvage two pups.

Well lo and behold, out pop five very healthy squalling pups! :D Palates are closed, good reflexes, one is a bit smaller and weaker so he has my undivided attention at feeding time, I make sure he is on first and so forth and he seems be to doing okay.

I have ,two girls and four boys, I'm hoping one of the girls is my keeper and future show prospect.

And I wanted to add, my husband was like a school kid when he saw them, he was so thrilled. This is a guy who was raised in the middle east (Iran) and really wasn't , much of a dog person, but supported me and my interest, but today, he was going on and on taking videos, pictures and saying how he didn't know how he was going to see them go some day, lol, he is such a good man.

congratulations on the arival of your litter :champagne:

Oh so happy to read this :) - have been thinking about your post and hoping everything went well & I know I don't know you but its just great to see a happy ending. Good luck - hope they are all strong survivors.

Oh My Gosh Lynai, i hope those puppies stay strong!!!! Good Luck!!!! My fingers are crossed for you, have added you to a group on FB aswell that might be useful :)

Post piccies when you can of course!

Just saw your updat, breeding is never boring !!

wishing and sending good vibes for all to go well now for mum & bubs.

I hope she has expelled any debri left, keep up the AB's :)

no sleep for you for a while !!

fifi