Considering The Aftermath- Rehoming Dogs With Behavioural Problems

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Words fail me in respect to that so-called rescue group, OutOfSightHound. Well,actually, I know what I would like to say :mad:.

You are right to be concerned and I do encourage you to speak to the authorities.

Personally if it was my Rescue or I was foster co-ordinator and someone said they have grave concerns i would be getting a professional behavioural and temprement test. Then if that backed the foster carer up I would PTS the dog.

Having said that if it was my Rescue I would be doing all that first before I even put the dog into foster care. Its why I love my new Rescue group sooo much!! All dogs are throughly tested before they arrive and if I call my foster co-ordinator to say there is a problem they are right on it. There is no way they want to rehome an even slightly bad dog! They even came and got a dog within an hour becasue it wouldn't leave my cat alone and didn't even get upset! They just said do you want a break or try again with another dog! That dog is now listed as NOT cat friendly! All dogs I foster have notes taken and full history given to the new owner including all medical etc...

My friend really wants to bring all this out into the open but the group is threatening legal action for deformation if he does. Sadly they have done this to a few former foster carers yet you wont find it anywhere because they have a very PR savy person working for them that gets all stuff from Facebook etc pulled and they are real bullies! They were so nasty to my friend about it all and all he was doing was trying to bring to their attention the fact the dog was dangerous!

Edited by OutOfSightHound

How do I report this dog to the authorities as this dog although only 5 months old is showing all the signs of becoming a menace and it wont be long before it's face nipping becaomes a serious bite! This save everything because its cute or deserves a chance is why I left. They also are not disclosing to the new owners of other dogs things such as the dogs health history (ie dog had Kennel cough or Parvo). Also not disclosing problems such as servere seperation anxiety etc. They just try to rehome the dog to someone who is home most of the time and then that person doesn't discover the problem until they go on holiday or out for the day.

What breed is the dog? Call me crazy but I see a lot of frustration and potential in a working breed not necessarily a maniac.

If there is no one skilled to handle a dog like this then its nothing but warehousing and a waste - of course shitty behaviors escalate when people who dont know what they're doing are handling the dog. If there is someone who could take all this energy and harness it then there is a chance.

It always comes down to is there a safe place for an animal like this, NOT is it straight off the cuff good or bad. I've rehomed a couple of pretty extreme animals and they're living their lives happily in their new homes because they're right for them.

How do I report this dog to the authorities as this dog although only 5 months old is showing all the signs of becoming a menace and it wont be long before it's face nipping becaomes a serious bite! This save everything because its cute or deserves a chance is why I left. They also are not disclosing to the new owners of other dogs things such as the dogs health history (ie dog had Kennel cough or Parvo). Also not disclosing problems such as servere seperation anxiety etc. They just try to rehome the dog to someone who is home most of the time and then that person doesn't discover the problem until they go on holiday or out for the day.

What breed is the dog? Call me crazy but I see a lot of frustration and potential in a working breed not necessarily a maniac.

If there is no one skilled to handle a dog like this then its nothing but warehousing and a waste - of course shitty behaviors escalate when people who dont know what they're doing are handling the dog. If there is someone who could take all this energy and harness it then there is a chance.

It always comes down to is there a safe place for an animal like this, NOT is it straight off the cuff good or bad. I've rehomed a couple of pretty extreme animals and they're living their lives happily in their new homes because they're right for them.

I have a huge amount of experience with these dogs and have actually trainined dogs for working stock. This dog would be the type that would kill stock and rip tendons and throats out while on the job! It's not a matter of dealing with behaviour as IMHO and my friends this dog has temprement issues. It is extremely smart and I would say it's a doggie psycopath. When you try to redirect it it pays attention until your not looking and goes back to that bad behaviour it was doing. I attempted to teach it herding in the hope it might help but it just wanted to bite the legs and faces off the sheep! It didn't just nip a bit to move the sheep it just wanted to bite real hard straight off! No one who handles stock professionally would even consider having a dog like this! On the farm it would be probably shot! AS for other dogs it just harasses them until they get sick of it and when they growl at it to say PO it latches onto faces and savages them.

Honestly 99% of people wouldn't have the ability to deal with this dog. I have had some naughty fosters in my time but not like this. This dog scares me becasue he is so young and so nasty but has never been mistreated. His former owners dispaired becasue they tried everything including getting a trainer in and it didn't stop the nipping. Basically if you weren't looking at it, it would find something to harass and round up!

I very much agree with you here, but it's easier to rehome a pedigree dog such as a Malimute or Akita with problems than a general mutt from the pound that has a bit of Heeler a bit of Staffy and god knows what else. The dog I'm talking about has a few working breeds obviously and something else thats not definable.

People looking at a bitzer on Pet Rescue want exactly that a nice family dog they can just have a good time with not a basket case. I know of a few dogs that keep coming back into FOster care becasue their temprement means they need a really special type of home and to be honest the people who know how to deal with this sort of stuff don't want to adopt it :(

My friend really wants to bring all this out into the open but the group is threatening legal action for deformation if he does. Sadly they have done this to a few former foster carers yet you wont find it anywhere because they have a very PR savy person working for them that gets all stuff from Facebook etc pulled and they are real bullies! They were so nasty to my friend about it all and all he was doing was trying to bring to their attention the fact the dog was dangerous!

It's not defamation if you can prove the accusations are true...

Edited by minimax

Ok so would a vet bill for a dogs face being ripped open, Doctors report for a dog bite and a set of nasty emails about not knowing you stuff about dog behaviour when you just honestly wrote you had reservations be enough to aviod defamation?

Ok so would a vet bill for a dogs face being ripped open, Doctors report for a dog bite and a set of nasty emails about not knowing you stuff about dog behaviour when you just honestly wrote you had reservations be enough to aviod defamation?

I'm not a lawyer - but if carefully worded your claims to stick to the things you had proof of, yes it probably would be.

It's actually more compllicated that that.

Why doesn't your friend simply report the dog? If the issue is the dog, then deal with the behaviour of the dog and report it to council. A documented history of biting should be enough for a DD declaration and that will stop the dog being rehomed into unsuspecting hands. Even a rescue group with a PR savvy front person can't skirt that one.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Why doesn't your friend simply report the dog? If the issue is the dog, then deal with the behaviour of the dog and report it to council. A documented history of biting should be enough for a DD declaration and that will stop the dog being rehomed into unsuspecting hands. Even a rescue group with a PR savvy front person can't skirt that one.

Ummm... if it's the group I'm thinking of, then they are savvy enough to know that certain orders do not follow a dog interstate...

T.

All I can say is that if this group would knowingly rehome a dog with a bite history on kids or a DD declaration, "savvy" is not a word I'd use.

No PR expert is going to get you out of a negligence law suit and potentially some criminal charges if the dog causes harm in it's new home. I'd call it gross stupidity myself.

Ummm... if it's the group I'm thinking of, then they are savvy enough to know that certain orders do not follow a dog interstate...

T.

T.

Given that it's an offence to rehome a declared DD ANYWHERE without notifying Council, they don't have to. :)

Talk about a seriously effed up set of ethics. How could ANYONE knowingly rehome a dog with such a history??? Not that it wasn't done locally but one of DOL's self professed rescue angels a few years back...TWICE.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

T.

Given that it's an offence to rehome a declared DD ANYWHERE without notifying Council, they don't have to. :)

Talk about a seriously effed up set of ethics. How could ANYONE knowingly rehome a dog with such a history??? Not that it wasn't done locally but one of DOL's self professed rescue angels a few years back...TWICE.

Well A DD dog order application along with 3 witness statement, vet bill and doctors report is being filed now to be HAND delivered to the council! Cant do much else other than protect someones own dog and kids.. What to do about the group I don't know but they certainly have a slick PR machine and a big facebook following but there are plenty of former foster carers out there that have been bullied and harassed for saying certain things and then being vilified after they leave!(I personally know 3 others other than myself) I think time will bring it out in the open I hope. I don't think my friend wants to be harassed by them anymore so he said he will just leave it at the DD order as it the best he can do! I feel so to as no one needs harassment and threats of legal action for defamation. I said just protect people out there and leave it at that becasue they cant take you to court for declring a dog dangerous!

I have no idea about this case, but I have yet to see a rescue group with enough money to actually mount a defamation case. Under Australian law you have to prove that your reputation has been damage by what has been published, which is a substantial and time consuming process. A defamation trial is a very expensive undertaking and I simply can't see a rescue group being able to afford it. If your friend is really concerned she can certainly just call their bluff.

Why doesn't your friend contact Pet Rescue and provide them with the evidence, they can a least unlist the dog.

Edited by Aphra

I have no idea about this case, but I have yet to see a rescue group with enough money to actually mount a defamation case. Under Australian law you have to prove that your reputation has been damage by what has been published, which is a substantial and time consuming process. A defamation trial is a very expensive undertaking and I simply can't see a rescue group being able to afford it. If your friend is really concerned she can certainly just call their bluff.

Why doesn't your friend contact Pet Rescue and provide them with the evidence, they can a least unlist the dog.

He is contacting Pet rescue now with his concerns over the dog. Hopefully they will pull the dog and make sure this dog gets checked out properly!