Giardia

Wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with Giardia. I have a friend with a 14 1/2 year old dog that has been experiencing vomiting and diarrhoea issues for 4 weeks now. She has just finished a 5 day day course of Flagyl on Tuesday and she is concerned that she is going downhill again already. The vet isn't keen to medicate anymore unless she is actually vomiting etc. I am interested another peoples experience in dealing with this?

This is a short history

14.5 year old huntaway cross bitch, gotten thinner over last few months, eating well, still very active, got sick with vomiting and diarrhoea taken to vet, given an anti nausea injection, stopped eating, on a special diet(rice/chicken/probiotic yoghurt and cottage cheese)started to eat again , few days later sick again with vomiting/diarrhoea, back to vets new medication, stool sample given, got very sick stopped eating , diarrhoea just water, back to vets, scanned, blood tests and overnight stay, started eating Hills Science Diet for dogs with gastro issues, very bright, eating again and happy, started to go down hill again, vets changed medication to (flagyl) after finding out its Giardia from stool sample, I am making sure she is on a lead out for walks, she has 5 dog companions, only one other dog got a little sick and off food for a couple days, no vomiting but a little diarrhoea. Sick dog is very obsessed with keeping clean especially back side.

I have had this and was told not to have inner health plus with giardia.. I actually think it says that either on bottle or in directions..

Isn't it very contagious other dogs should be kept away I would imagine..

I had a puppy similar several year ago and Inner Health Plus tablets resolved his gut issues within two days.

I've had giardia here several times.best treatment is Panacur, dose the dogs 3 days running. Flagyl takes multiple courses and takes weed to treat it.

You can buy Panacur from any stock feed type place, it's sold as sheep drench here but used as a dog wormer overseas.

I've had it twice this year.

First time it started with 2 dogs then ended up with all 14 plus me!! Let me tell you the Flagyl tablets are the most horrific tasting things in the world. I crushed mine in ice-cream.

Second time caught it early but treated all dogs again and stopped the diarrhoea in its tracks.

Now our problem is that we are on tank water and it is obviously getting in there via birds. We have treated our water with a product from DAVEY called Aqua Safe. we are also trying to find a suitable filter that is 1 micron to go on our tank to stop it.

I put my old pug (Coming up 14) on Protexin and this has helped her wonderfully. She has it daily now along with a couple of other oldies. I buy it by the kilo from K9Direct.com.au Best price anywhere.

My pups also had a few months back, tablets plus liquid to stop the runs ( I had no vomiting with my pup) and kill off infection she was right in I would say 3 - 4 weeks, runs eased after 4 days on meds. I believe it came from our tank water also, she now only has town water and she is much better.

Thanks everyone. She has taken her back to the vet this morning and suggested the panacur which the vet has agreed might be worth a go but she is questioning the dosage she has been given. The vet has said she needs 12mls 3 days in a row for a 25kg dog but the bottle label says 3mls for up to 40kg of live weight. Vet is closed now so not possible to ring and check. Indigirl, do you recall what dosage you used?

Let me tell you the Flagyl tablets are the most horrific tasting things in the world. I crushed mine in ice-cream.

Try giving them to a cat!!! OMG. My advice is to buy some empty gel capsules and put the tablet in them.