Pound Rounds?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at pound rounds beware on FB, I think they're sayin PR has taken over the Friends of Campbelltown Pound group.

It's pretty rude to 'comment' on Goldie Rescue's change of cover photo by ignoring GRR and pleading for their own likes.

They did that on my page too, a couple of words about the dog the thread was about and then a paragraph about themselves. I thought it was rude, deleted the comment and unliked their page. If they're associated with Pound Rounds all the better.

Have a look at pound rounds beware on FB, I think they're sayin PR has taken over the Friends of Campbelltown Pound group.

It's pretty rude to 'comment' on Goldie Rescue's change of cover photo by ignoring GRR and pleading for their own likes.

I just joined the forum yesterday and have been an avid reader of this discussion. I was one of the many naive but well-intentioned people who shared all PR's FB photos and donated money to them. That was until I did a bit of my own research and spoke to Blacktown Pound who don't have a weekly "kill list" of healthy dogs. I also spoke to Hawkesbury, to Kellie, who totally endorsed PR so go figure that. I requested an explanation from Poundrounds re the supposed "kill list" from Blacktown. That was days ago and I have had no response. Yesterday on FB I saw a friend request from Melanie Norman! I don't think so.

Deeply disillusioned, I have ceased my donations (what a waste of money that could have been better spent on real dog rescue or care) and have unfriended PR but I am still determined to get involved in the legitimate rescue process. Thanks to this forum for such an open and frank discussion of the issues.

An update re poor practice and fundraising on behalf of impounded dogs release to this group:

The DLG has been contacted extensively and despite weekly communication are yet to speak with council or any relevant bodies regarding this groups practises.

OGLR has been contacted, pound rounds are under investigation, though fundraising is only one aspect needed to be investigated under this group.

Extensive talks and meetings with firsthand information and facts which took place months ago with council (right through to the CEO) it appears are useless.

Every SINGLE state to state body has been contacted, particularly in regard to dogs declared dangerous in one state and moved by pound rounds to another state to be advertised in that state with no disclosure of issues.

RSPCA has been contacted re extensive drugging of aggressive kennelled dogs.

There are multiple complaints coming through regarding this group which are simply soul destroying.

The Mayor has been contacted, next is the local members.

An update re poor practice and fundraising on behalf of impounded dogs release to this group:

The DLG has been contacted extensively and despite weekly communication are yet to speak with council or any relevant bodies regarding this groups practises.

OGLR has been contacted, pound rounds are under investigation, though fundraising is only one aspect needed to be investigated under this group.

Extensive talks and meetings with firsthand information and facts which took place months ago with council (right through to the CEO) it appears are useless.

Every SINGLE state to state body has been contacted, particularly in regard to dogs declared dangerous in one state and moved by pound rounds to another state to be advertised in that state with no disclosure of issues.

RSPCA has been contacted re extensive drugging of aggressive kennelled dogs.

There are multiple complaints coming through regarding this group which are simply soul destroying.

The Mayor has been contacted, next is the local members.

• 1 month later...

Poundcc group work with Campbelltown Council to bring in changes at the pound. They do not seem to involve themselves with specific rescues.

Melanie Norman was asked by one of her mates to set up a page for Campbelltown Pound. called it Campbelltown Pound Must Change Now, Working Group. She made it a secret group. Suddenly it was filled with PR people. Those of us who did not like that were soon booted out.

She then helped start up C'town Pound Dogs Needing Help but as the admins of that page started to learn people would not work with them because of the PR affiliation they supposedly got rid of PR people.

One of the first animals CPDNH saved: On the secret group CH started, virtually, demanding people donate to fly this dog to Vic. $300 for air fare, Big vet bills as it was very ill, desexing, long term rehab, long term foster as it was too old to be adopted. The dog was purchased from the pound for approx $80, was already desexed, was only 5. Transport met the purchased at the pound & it went straight to the airport....no vet check, no quarantine! Within a couple of hours of it arriving in Vic the rescue org had it for sale on Petrescue saying it was only a bit thin.

When some people asked, on the secret page, why not wait til it had been vet checked to see what money was required, before asking for donations...the comments were met with hostile abuse,

When some asked why post a donation request on a secret page, because you could not share from there & thaat it should be on the CPDNH, public page...they were also met with hostile abuse.

IMO the working group should have been just that...support for the poundies, gathering donations to take in to them, beds, jackets etc etc..but NO the PR people just took it over.

IMO any rescues getting dogs out of pounds and flying/trucking them interstate without a vetcheck first are cowboys. They have no protocol in place to vet check the dog or quarantine the dog. No wonder parvo/disease is rife. :mad

What if a dog had a chronic ear infection and was flown - the poor dog would be in agony. :(

Nothing can slow down their "saving" process... don't you understand?? To waste time you could be using to "save" more and more animals from the evil pound system... never!! (tongue firmly in cheek here)

Any transport company that is shipping animals straight from a pound is also negligent. I wonder what their other customers would think if they knew what potential diseases their animals were coming into contact with?

T.

The CPDNH page has posted recommendations for people to rescue with groups other than those approved by council which seems silly since those other rescues would have to purchase the animal & not rescue it.

They have a number of aliases which try to stir on other pages...all a bit dramatic.

Some of them commented on PR Beware page & would just not have it that their own admins used PR people in setting up so therefore had no one to blame but themselves. They went on to say 2 dogs were killed because rescue would not take them due to PR association & tried to blame PR Beware for it.

It surprised me that the admins said they did not know MN et al, yet used them for setting up the pages & are f/b friends.

All this garbage reflects badly on those who are really trying to help c'town Pound who have lots of issues without this.

Guest muttrus

Feeling this may come across bitter and like the green eyed monster --one of my volunteers /supporter and friend has fallen for PRs.

After a long time with very limited contact I recieved a phone call saying she just felt like catching up with me since she"s been so busy she was suprised Id been going steady on with the tasks at hand and even though I hadn"t needed her help I guess she"d thought Id fallen on hard times

I had of course known for some time that she had been volunteering donating and heaps busy with ""saving"" But I also help other where and when I can so didn"t think much of it.

Anyway after just over a year of helping us I noticed while none of our dogs were being promted by her all of a sudden she is posting and sharing PRs dogs and even adopting one after less than 24 hours of fostering it.

Anyway the comment by her was given to me was PR are really making a difference by their work and the scale on which they are doing it .

Therefore she felt by helping them she was part of a much bigger solution.

It cut me like a knife I must admit Ive always prided myself on being honest open and helping the little guy I don"t throw my arms up saying look at look at me but rather plot along doing what I feel is best for me the dogs and the adopters.

I had tried to explain to my friend the risks involved with pound dogs and about their emotional and medical state she always came back at me by stating the fact that I own pound dogs and what about the ones Ive helped along the way .I explained yes but Ive also left many behind and sometimes you never quite know until they"re out etc She would send me 4 messages long asking me to pass it on about a certain dog due to be PTS and how I should save it etc or send me a photo saying its cute adopt it I went over and over whats involved about vets and costs and I have kids what if the dog isn"t safe

EACH REPLY was isn"t it better to know you"ve saved a life and worry about the other stuff later.

I think the bleeding heart stories are winning over people and more and more people are being pressured by guilt feeling sorry for those behind bars looks.

isn't it better to know you've saved a life and worry about the other stuff later

... and there's the rub... *sigh*

Funny how so many of the PR groupies aren't quite up to actually taking in all of these dogs themselves... but are quite happy to put upon others to do so.

Armchair rescuers really give me the irrits... grrr!

T.

Guest muttrus
isn't it better to know you've saved a life and worry about the other stuff later

... and there's the rub... *sigh*

Funny how so many of the PR groupies aren't quite up to actually taking in all of these dogs themselves... but are quite happy to put upon others to do so.

Armchair rescuers really give me the irrits... grrr!

T.

EXACTLY my friend constantly said she could not foster so this was her way of helping.She DOES own rescue dogs and is very proud that she claims to know how it all works.

Guest muttrus

Pound Rounds is litigation just waiting to happen.

I am presuming because dogs are not vet worked/quarantined - that they are also not temperament tested prior to going to foster homes? Terrifying at best. :eek:

There will be a big wake up call one day for someone but I fear it will then fall back onto the dog and the pound and to some extent the person with the dog .Many will say more fool the person taking the dog then of course most of the public will only get one side of the story and it will fall back into the dark ages where everyone thinks dogs in pounds are there because they are dangerous meanwhile most won"t hear the other side and the PARTS where good rescues test the dogs etc.

My recent trip to the pound I left with no dogs.My girlfriend asked why I said simply the dogs available to me were NOT suitable for my home or my dogs I then explained how much my vet charges and the time it CAN take before finding a home ----etc you all know what it takes her reply was --""Don"t worry just get anyone I"ll cover the vet bill"" I went on to say its NOT just about the money "she went on to say she was good friends with &*(^*&**^&* from PR and they have saved x amount and they would help etc

I should also add after many a lengthy conversation and trying to get it through to so called friend I have in fact thrown my arms up and said well %^^^%&^it.

Maybe its better to let her fall on her own behind I have also directed her to this topic to show it just wasn"t me

And I thought she was a smart educated bussiness woman so it just goes to show anyone can be drawn in

:(

With 19000+ likers, donating $1 a day or week as they ask they must be rolling in the $$$ & should therefore be able to save every dog.

I just wish they would rescue under their own name with their own fosters etc & take on the responsibility.

They will set rescue back with their poor practices.

Pound Rounds is litigation just waiting to happen.

I am presuming because dogs are not vet worked/quarantined - that they are also not temperament tested prior to going to foster homes? Terrifying at best. :eek:

I agree but its systemic not just PR. Hope all of the foster carers have insurance.

Until your friend has had to hold a dog while it is given it's wings due to it being totally unsuitable for rehoming, even after months of rehabilitation efforts, she will never know how reputable rescue REALLY works.

There are sound reasons why reputable and ethical rescues opeate the way they do.

In rescue there are 2 main truths...

1. Not every pound animal should be "saved".

2. The measure of a reputable and ethical rescue is NOT how many animals they save, but how well they do it.

It is never easy for a reputable rescuer to go into a pound and see all the animals there, then leave without taking any of them - but the reality is that is what we must do sometimes. We DO know exactly what happens to those we can't take (for the record), and really don't need armchair "rescue" upstarts preaching at us when they really don't care to understand the consequences of getting it "wrong" (both for the animals AND the public).

T.