Pound Rounds?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another worry is dogs going to homes straight from the pounds without any warning about quarantine for the new owners. I wonder what happens if the dogs get sick from something they've picked up in the pound? And worse, if they share it around...

T.

I am very concerned by groups moving dogs with problems from foster carers to boarding. Leaving them there without any rehabilitation until an unsuspecting adopter or foster carer comes along.

I was picking up some food at one of our local kennels recently and they told me of a dog they had placed in boarding by a "rescue group".

Im disappointed to say I was distracted and didnt ask which one now as it seems that PR have a track record for this. The kennel owners had to call the rescue group and ask them to have it removed as it was trying to scale a 6ft fence to get to their dogs. The kennel operator is very competent and I trust his opinion the dog had serious intent to harm their dogs and was the type of dog that could inflict some serious damage.

This type of behaviour by groups is very worrisome and a risk to all rescues as we work hard to have people consider rescue dogs for their next family pet.

Edited by cami

I was sent this today, I believe this dog is the dog who killed another dog while in foster care. Surely pound rounds have an obligation to disclose this information? she is now kenneled.

I have a favourite - Livia has been in and out of foster care now - through no fault of her own at all - she is such a loving girl and her eyes plead with me every time I visit to get her out of the kennel and take her home - if you have ot...her dogs they would need to be very placid - Livvy was used as a breeder and is sensitive to other dogs wanting to dominate and hurt her anymore - she is special. Beyond special she is beautiful from the very core of her being to the outside. Please think about what it's like to be cold at night - every night - and check with anyone you know who might be able to help her get the love, security and kindness and protection she so richly deserves for the rest of her life.

Is this the dog that was involved in the death of a Chihuahua in Sydney that was sent to Victoria? The dog has had quite a few name changes since then .

Edited by cryptic

Seems ludicrous and downright cruel to ship a dog from state to state and cross your fingers it won't happen again.

Sometimes dingbats need to realise they can't change every single dog (moreso when they aren't actively trying...)

1. If I was JRT I would have taken the money. People did want to give to JRT and they need that funding to keep up their good own ethical work. You can take dirty money and put it to clean use. The moral high ground can be a very expensive place to sit. Ive read the entire thread I know everyone doesnt agree. That's OK we don't have to on this point.

2. I used to pledge and donate a bit of money on the Hawksbury forum (which I came looking for tonight) but then after a while I started to wonder....where does the money really go, and when your new to all of this - its super emotional. The hard lesson is that you can't save every dog, like has been said earlier, some are better with their wings. If I want to give a donation now, I go to the actual rescue site and get my tax receipt.

3. The comments on this forum come mostly from perspective of rescue groups, my perspective is non-rescue. There are ways to help and things I needed to learn along the way about what rescue groups do. The wealth of knowledge within the rescue community about dogs is incredible. Education is whats helpful to the person who wants to help.

4. It's confusing (and heatbreaking) not to know what to look out for in a rescue group, so this sort of education to the potential donor or foster-er would be useful, maybe on something like Pet Rescues pages or via the RSPCA who have a wide reach. Something like Tips for the newbie - So we can know what questions you should be asking when dealing with rescue or thinking about fostering.

Glad I read this so I'm not a sucker.

Thanks for all the good work that's done with the doggies who can be helped.

My 2 cents.

It's a little hard to know which rescue has put a name on dogs (or cats) at Hawkesbury. It would be awesome if it was indicated which rescue was taking any particular animal... like we can see with Renbury's list. Come to think of it, it would be nice to see the same with Blacktown poundies too... or any pound that has a page in the Urgent forums here.

Is this info too hard to source from the pounds?

IMHO, Renbury have it well sorted - they even update their own webpages with the info so everyone can see it... an awesome effort from all involved there. There is rarely any doubt over which animal has options by which group.

T.

There's a recent thread on this forum about choosing a rescue group (from the perspective of an adopter or potential fosterer) which might be helpful. It was a couple of weeks back, but a search should bring it up, or just hunt through a few back pages.

There are lots of good rescue groups, but if you're not sure, you can always ask on here. People will be able to gently point you in the right direction. :-)

4. It's confusing (and heatbreaking) not to know what to look out for in a rescue group, so this sort of education to the potential donor or foster-er would be useful, maybe on something like Pet Rescues pages or via the RSPCA who have a wide reach. Something like Tips for the newbie - So we can know what questions you should be asking when dealing with rescue or thinking about fostering.

Glad I read this so I'm not a sucker.

Thanks for all the good work that's done with the doggies who can be helped.

My 2 cents.

Amazing thread! It's a few years since I've been involved and I am flabbergasted that there is such an organisation as this - seemingly materialised out of nowhere. The power of Facebook and social media?

I don't think an overarching body, voluntary guidelines etc help. Most self-regulated industries end up being regualted because self-regulation doesn't work.

Outrageous is all I can say. Not helping I know :(

Edited by Poppy's mum

No they were asking for a donation for a dog from blacktown pound which I knew had gone to a country rescue group, so I contacted them to let them know which group had taken the dog and they gave them a donation to help with the boarding that the group had while waiting for transport to them.

I was sent this today, I believe this dog is the dog who killed another dog while in foster care. Surely pound rounds have an obligation to disclose this information? she is now kenneled.

I have a favourite - Livia has been in and out of foster care now - through no fault of her own at all - she is such a loving girl and her eyes plead with me every time I visit to get her out of the kennel and take her home - if you have ot...her dogs they would need to be very placid - Livvy was used as a breeder and is sensitive to other dogs wanting to dominate and hurt her anymore - she is special. Beyond special she is beautiful from the very core of her being to the outside. Please think about what it's like to be cold at night - every night - and check with anyone you know who might be able to help her get the love, security and kindness and protection she so richly deserves for the rest of her life.

Is this the dog that was involved in the death of a Chihuahua in Sydney that was sent to Victoria? The dog has had quite a few name changes since then .

Yes Cryptic, the dog has had three names so far. Cookie, Katie and now Livia.

What that family have been through is heart breaking, the way they have been treated criminal.

Yes Cryptic, the dog has had three names so far. Cookie, Katie and now Livia.

That is terrible . Last i heard from Parramatta council was that Cookie,Katie,Livia was living in her forever home in Victoria with no other dogs. The sad part is that the poor dog has been kicked from pillar to post with no actual stability and i doubt very much if she has had a professional work with her. I am not surprised to hear this though could we expect any different from them. Do they not realise that by making excuses for the dog and not handling this appropriately they have caused her to live a life of misery living permanantly in kennels . . .

What that family have been through is heart breaking, the way they have been treated criminal.

Have a look at pound rounds beware on FB, I think they're sayin PR has taken over the Friends of Campbelltown Pound group.

It's pretty rude to 'comment' on Goldie Rescue's change of cover photo by ignoring GRR and pleading for their own likes.