So Mad With Dog Owners

janisw

yep I am sick of it too!

My little boy got chased by three off lead dogs yesterday.

He saw that it was time to leave the park and began to run home and the three dogs that people had offlead (in an onlead area) chased him. The owners didn't even bother calling them back :mad

I am grateful that he wasn't scared and just knew to stop and be still. But still he said to me that he couldn't tell if they were friendly or not :mad

Also yesterday my daughter was playing with her friend at adiffernt playground and a guy stopped with his dog, took its collar off and told it 'go say hello to those kids over there'!

The dog then proceeded to jump all pver them both and scratched my daughter's stomach doing so!!! :mad

Oh dear a child was jumped upon and scratched by a dog!!!! Gosh, better call an ambulance and contact the media. Sheeesh, really? Is she that much of a princess that it was an issue?

LOL you really have no idea.

My princess gives herself 4 + injections every day. And guess where she puts them... in her stomach. It's pretty battered and bruised most of the time without a dog jumping all over it.

But really that's not the point.

It is so irresponsible to let your dog run over and jump on children, especially when they are playing on play equipment. And it's pretty arrogant to think everyone desperately wants to interact with your dog even when they are minding their own business doing something else.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I don't have time to dart across the road with dogs oncoming, I'll step off the footpath and well into a front lawn and let the other dog(s) pass. I do this because I have two very reactive dogs, who bark and carry on like mofos in the presence of other on-leash dogs.

My guys aren't dangerous, they carry on like this because they want to play with the other dogs, but I don't like putting other peoples' dogs into a potentially dangerous situation. I don't know how their dogs will react and I see it as my responsibility to keep my boofheads out of their way.

I don't mind what others think of me for stepping out of the way -- I see it as being responsible. It's not just for the safety of my dogs, but to protect the other ones as well.

Mofo dog here too. Wouldn't hurt a fly but just wants to play with EVERYONE and can carry on sometimes.

Luckily because he is huge most people cross to avoid us first so we don't have to worry :laugh:

I don't have a problem with it.

yep I am sick of it too!

He saw that it was time to leave the park and began to run home and the three dogs that people had offlead (in an onlead area) chased him. The owners didn't even bother calling them back :mad

I am grateful that he wasn't scared and just knew to stop and be still. But still he said to me that he couldn't tell if they were friendly or not :mad

Also yesterday my daughter was playing with her friend at adiffernt playground and a guy stopped with his dog, took its collar off and told it 'go say hello to those kids over there'!

The dog then proceeded to jump all pver them both and scratched my daughter's stomach doing so!!! :mad

Oh dear a child was jumped upon and scratched by a dog!!!! Gosh, better call an ambulance and contact the media. Sheeesh, really? Is she that much of a princess that it was an issue?

LOL you really have no idea.

My princess gives herself 4 + injections every day. And guess where she puts them... in her stomach. It's pretty battered and bruised most of the time without a dog jumping all over it.

But really that's not the point.

It is so irresponsible to let your dog run over and jump on children, especially when they are playing on play equipment. And it's pretty arrogant to think everyone desperately wants to interact with your dog even when they are minding their own business doing something else.

Agree. My boofer loves kids but I would NEVER let him run over as I know there's a chance he would jump all over them out of excitement.

That's not on, doesn't matter whether or not there are injuries.

yep I am sick of it too!

No... this is not on at all. a person SENDS their dog over to a child to say hello without checking first with the parents? WTF is wrong with you and that response? it is NOT acceptable for any dog to run over and jump on anyone, let alone a child.

Yes, that was an uncalled for response. I wouldn't allow my dogs to go jumping at other park users and I wouldn't expect others to be happy about someone else allowing their dog to do so too. The dog can't be blamed, it's just following it's dumb owners command. It's no wonder so many dogs are blamed for their behavior and all along it's the owner.

Now you all have your knickers in a knot as I suspected you would, so calm down and read this.....

At no point in my post did I say that dog owners shouldn't check with parents before allowing their dogs to interact with their children.

At no point in my post did I say that it's acceptable for dogs to jump up on adults or children (but let's face it, most of them do).

At no point in my post did I say that dogs should be allowed in children's playground.

My point is that bad thing NEARLY happen all the time, but they don't. So what is the point about making a fuss about it. To illustrate my point - a dog ran by us off the lead today, the owner clearly had no control over him. Oh dear. NOTHING BAD HAPPENED, so I'm not going to mention it. Not the ideal situation, but no negative result, so what's the point in bringing it up?

Another opinion that I hold, is that children in general these days are way too cosseted. Kids should play outside, kids should get dirty and scraped and bruised and bumped and yes, even the odd broken bone. It's life people, get over it. Dogs will jump up and kids will get scratched and bumped and maybe even knocked over. Teach them to get back up and get on with things, not to cry and whinge and look for someone to blame and for a lawyer to start a civil case.

my dogs definitely have bias towards certain breeds and certain colours! one doesn't like black staffies after one attacked him. He's fine with other well behaved dogs but won't tolerate any staffy.

My feisty Weimaraner doesnt seem to like any breeds that are heavy breathing (so braccy, or just pulling on their collars and making choking noises!)

Interested to know when in your dog's eyes a black staffy crossbreed becomes a black staffy.

EDITED - misunderstood reply

Edited by SparkyTansy

Now you all have your knickers in a knot as I suspected you would, so calm down and read this.....

At no point in my post did I say that dog owners shouldn't check with parents before allowing their dogs to interact with their children.

At no point in my post did I say that it's acceptable for dogs to jump up on adults or children (but let's face it, most of them do).

At no point in my post did I say that dogs should be allowed in children's playground.

My point is that bad thing NEARLY happen all the time, but they don't. So what is the point about making a fuss about it. To illustrate my point - a dog ran by us off the lead today, the owner clearly had no control over him. Oh dear. NOTHING BAD HAPPENED, so I'm not going to mention it. Not the ideal situation, but no negative result, so what's the point in bringing it up?

Another opinion that I hold, is that children in general these days are way too cosseted. Kids should play outside, kids should get dirty and scraped and bruised and bumped and yes, even the odd broken bone. It's life people, get over it. Dogs will jump up and kids will get scratched and bumped and maybe even knocked over. Teach them to get back up and get on with things, not to cry and whinge and look for someone to blame and for a lawyer to start a civil case.

I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately we do live in a world where people like to blame other people for their mistake and start civil case.

And you don't want to be on the end of the stick where you are the one getting blamed or have a law suit slapped on you.

I admit my post was rather harsh, so apologies for that. My exasperation at these type of posts though have been building over time, and I took it out on this particular comment. I just feel that it's the nervous nellie, woe-is-me types that are actually exacerbating the exact situation they're complaining about.

yep I am sick of it too!

I don't see in reading the post that the child was complaining about the dog jumping up and scratching the child's tummy. Granted, some kids are cosseted and wrapped in cotton wool but not all are and it's not up to you to decide that perhaps this child was some of the cotton wrapped. I do not know the particular poster in question but I found your retort quite unacceptable and smart a***d to tell you the truth. I'm just wondering if you've got kids of your own. If you do, then obviously you wouldn't mind if this scenario happened to your child, and if you don't, then you wouldn't know.

my dogs definitely have bias towards certain breeds and certain colours! one doesn't like black staffies after one attacked him. He's fine with other well behaved dogs but won't tolerate any staffy.

My feisty Weimaraner doesnt seem to like any breeds that are heavy breathing (so braccy, or just pulling on their collars and making choking noises!)

Interested to know when in your dog's eyes a black staffy crossbreed becomes a black staffy.

:confused:

Where did it say anything about a cross breed?

What I am trying to say (perhaps clumsily) is that I don't think dogs can tell one breed of dog from another. A negative reaction from the dog is the result of the handler tensing up

I admit my post was rather harsh, so apologies for that. My exasperation at these type of posts though have been building over time, and I took it out on this particular comment. I just feel that it's the nervous nellie, woe-is-me types that are actually exacerbating the exact situation they're complaining about.

So I am not meant to 'make a fuss' over my daughter being scratched on the stomach and my boy being chased,

Yet it's ok for you to 'make a fuss' over a post on a forum that did not hurt you at all :confused:

What I am trying to say (perhaps clumsily) is that I don't think dogs can tell one breed of dog from another. A negative reaction from the dog is the result of the handler tensing up

I do disagree. it doesn't explain why dogs of particular breeds have a good reaction to dogs of their own breeds, or dogs of breeds they usually interact with. My Weimaraners will get excited when they see Irish setters, because of their positive and regular interaction with a friends Irish Setters. I don't get excited and they react to my excitement, they do it all on their own.

apologies for the previous comment - i thought you were having a go because i said Black staffy (because they don't technically come in black!)

I do disagree. it doesn't explain why dogs of particular breeds have a good reaction to dogs of their own breeds, or dogs of breeds they usually interact with. My Weimaraners will get excited when they see Irish setters, because of their positive and regular interaction with a friends Irish Setters. I don't get excited and they react to my excitement, they do it all on their own.

apologies for the previous comment - i thought you were having a go because i said Black staffy (because they don't technically come in black!)

Thankyou. I don't know the first thing about staffies. I just often wonder what dogs see when they meet other dogs. I think they see friendly or unfriendly body language regardless of breed which they interpret in their own doggy way which is all a mystery to me. They are probably always more comfortable with body language they are familiar with. For example I have owned boxers and my boxers always got on well with rotties because of the similar body language. That's all. It's not colour or breed it's body language. IMO

I think dogs can pick and choose by colour/breed based on their experiences alone - When Brutus was about 10 months and needed to be placed in a kennel at short notice (not my choice but Id exhausted all options, and didn't know the area or the kennel very well) When I picked Him up I found out that two yellow/golden coated brother dogs (don't know if they where labs, goldens etc... no idea didn't see them) had pushed their way into his pen during the night and spent the w hole night bullying him, he was scratched and chewed and generally roughed up all night until a staff member separated them in the morning. - I myself have no problem with yellow coloured dogs and wouldn't think twice when I see one, but he does. He has growled and barked at a golden retreiver tied up minding its own business, barked at labs, and is just generally wary and aversive of anything that colour. I certainly know I didn't "train" him to be.

Same now with the newly developed dislike of brown lab looking dogs, as there is an agressive territorial male over our back fence that sets him off every single day they are at it, now if he sees one in the street he shows a natural dislike, I myself have no problem with labs of any colour... so I would say it is possible for a dog to make up their own mind on what they see without a nessisary influence from the handler. Same as he stops and sits by every white or gold 4x4 thinking its "His" and he is going to get in it for a ride. I know I dont think they are mine!

On the topic of loose dogs I could rant on about it all day, whole point is anyone, with dog, without dog, with kids or without kids has the right to walk from point A to Point B on public property without being harrased by someones offlead (or poorly controlled on way too long of a lead!) Dog. Brutus Pulls and Jumps at people when he sees them out of excitement, hes big and can do damage without meaning it. I while I don't cross the road when people pass, I do make him sit and stay still until they pass.

And I don't do dog parks... for fear of people, and other dogs. He has already been kicked for by someone who thought his children and small dog where in danger in an offlead dog park... why? Because Brutus took his ball to the nearest available person instead of coming back to me, this guy lashed out and kicked Brutus pretty well in the head because he said he didn't want his kids bitten by a big vicious dog. (how's he gonna bite your kids with a mouthfull of ball?) - if your that afraid of dogs coming up to you what are you doing in an offlead dog park?

I will also cross the road or change direction - though some people will then make a beeline for me despite my obvious attempts to avoid them. In those cases I usually just say the dogs are in training and need space.

I'm a bit more wary of unknown dogs that are bull breeds - unfortunately most of the bad experiences I have had with rushing dogs, or dominant behaviour etc have been with unknown bull breeds. Despite this my dogs don't have a negative reaction to bull breeds, as they have good associations with a couple of staffies that I know well.

Thankyou. I don't know the first thing about staffies. I just often wonder what dogs see when they meet other dogs. I think they see friendly or unfriendly body language regardless of breed which they interpret in their own doggy way which is all a mystery to me. They are probably always more comfortable with body language they are familiar with. For example I have owned boxers and my boxers always got on well with rotties because of the similar body language. That's all. It's not colour or breed it's body language. IMO

My JRT x has an issue with BC's and staffies. BC's because they stare, and I was told staffies have a very strutting, forward sort of walk, which makes them seem very assertive/dominant/confrontational to other dogs. So yes, I agree it's body language, but if a dog was around a lot of dogs of the same breed, I think he could form the association that dogs of a certain size and colour = certain behaviour and so develop an issue with dogs of a certain breed even when the individual dog isn't displaying the body language the dog has an issue with.

My JRT x has an issue with BC's and staffies. BC's because they stare, and I was told staffies have a very strutting, forward sort of walk, which makes them seem very assertive/dominant/confrontational to other dogs. So yes, I agree it's body language, but if a dog was around a lot of dogs of the same breed, I think he could form the association that dogs of a certain size and colour = certain behaviour and so develop an issue with dogs of a certain breed even when the individual dog isn't displaying the body language the dog has an issue with.

Thankyou. This sounds reasonable to me

My BC has a strong dislike of certain breeds. No real reason for it. I am certainly not causing it as she can react before I have even seen the dog. GSD and GR are the most hated breeds. She isn't keen on gundogs in general. Seems to like other herding breeds. When she is onlead she doesn't like any other dog, not even the dog she lives with.

Padraic,

I think some dogs have a problem with my dog (in avatar) because she is just unusual to them. She is very large, covered in patches and has very pale blue eyes. I think basically it just freaks some dogs out if they haven't seen anything like that before.