Animal Hoarders

yellowgirl

I only caughte the last 5 minutes of this....is it a series, or a one off?

There's Confessions: Animal Hoarding, by Animal Planet, if memory serves me correctly. Also one other series that I forget the name of.

Some of it is very interesting but there really should be a disclaimer here that a lot of it will be very distressing for dog lovers.

Guest lavendergirl

The dogs looked OK - but those poor cats :cry: I wish there had been some indication of what happened to them.

yep, felt really sorry for the poor cats, and the number that looked like they had eye issues - ugh - and these all came from the original 3 by the sounds, none of which were desexed. Most of what he was calling wee on the walls too would have been tom marking. Just so sad, but imagine the reason we did not see what happened to the cats was that most of them were probably PTS

Guest lavendergirl

Did anyone catch the latest episode? Janice agreed had a real problem but wonder if JD could be considered a hoarder as such? To me she seemed more like just a compassionate soul who rescued starving and abandoned animals that she found at the side of the road. The animals looked well cared for as well.

Janice was very sad. Especially that poor old dog who dragged its back legs around. Agreed with you on JD......but I just thank god my husband wasn't watching :laugh: .....as he would have related to everything that JD's partner said :o

I almost had to turn it off. :cry:

I didn't watch the show but there's conflicting opinions here; I was just wondering if the animals were well looked after or if they were neglected? One of the posters said that it all started with 3 undesexed cats, that's negligence on its own and it is a widespread issue, would mandatory desexing be the way to go to keep the pet population under control?

I realize these people have issues but how is impulse buying cats and dogs and lizards from a PETSHOP ok if you are an "animal lover"?

You explained it yourself , in that bolded bit.

It is not 'ok'. to those who do not suffer (and suffer it is) from the varying compulsions and beliefs which lead hoarders to this lifestyle.

To the hoarders..it is just another thing they do ...a bit like someone , who when asked to write a food diary , discovers just how many cans of coke, or bars of chocolate they do consume each day , without consciously debating the wisdom of it - even denying it to themselves...

Guest lavendergirl

I didn't watch the show but there's conflicting opinions here; I was just wondering if the animals were well looked after or if they were neglected? One of the posters said that it all started with 3 undesexed cats, that's negligence on its own and it is a widespread issue, would mandatory desexing be the way to go to keep the pet population under control?

Some are and some aren't. The thing is that commonly the "hoarder" is unable to recognise the cruelty and neglect they are often inflicting on the animals. They get overwhelmed and unable to cope and really need an outside person - such as a therapist in these cases - to provide that "circuit breaker" as often they will not listen to family members - and family members often are not assertive enough in dealing with the "hoarder".

It is interesting that in this show they try to find reasons for the onset of the behaviour - such as some trauma in childhood etc. What I find interesting is that these people develop these obsessions whereas many other people experiencing a similar amount of trauma do not, or perhaps not to this extent anyway. Also I wish they had some sort of follow up on the outcome for the animals e.g. how many were actually rehomed.

Guest Willow

I'm watching tonights episode, and my two year old can't sleep, and came out of her room and wanted to know what I was watching, so I have found myself discussing animal hoarding with a toddler!

The thing she found baffling was how someone could have so many pets they haven't given names to them all...the world through the eyes of a child :(

Who needs 85 cats or dogs anyways? I mean.. Unless they breed them for meat, dairy, eggs or whatever, why does anybody need this many animals? It is impossibly to give each animal the amount of attention they deserve when there are so amny of them...