Puzzles For Rough Dogs

GoldenGirl85

My ACD is so smart, I gave him the puzzle pictured below and he worked out the easiest way to get the food was to side swipe it with his paw and knock it over! he is very foot orientated (as in uses his feet a lot rather than relying on his mouth)

I am after some interactive toys that will get his mind ticking, but are tough enough to survive him side swiping them with his paw (typical boy, if it isn't easily accessible hit it lol)

Any suggestions?

Here is the one I gave him today

dog-gambling-tower-toy.jpg

On another note, this toy used to make my very under confident girl Lexi shut down every time I set it up for her...its been away for a year, and look at her now! she has come such a long way!

523239_10151085728953025_373302547_n.jpg

Have you got a Kong Wobbler or something similar? Both my boys are paw-sy and especially with the wobbler - they send them flying across rooms or the backyard.

Louie even picks his up and drops it - like he does with his regular kong to make the food bounce out! They haven't broken yet - probably coming up to 3yrs...

Have you got a Kong Wobbler or something similar? Both my boys are paw-sy and especially with the wobbler - they send them flying across rooms or the backyard.

Louie even picks his up and drops it - like he does with his regular kong to make the food bounce out! They haven't broken yet - probably coming up to 3yrs...

Yep, and he loves his wobbler, but I was more thinking some sort of puzzle...maybe that sticks to the ground lol

This is only a toy for supervision, I his wobbler is great to chuck him outside with it for a while, but I want a 'quiet indoors toy' that will make his mind work...but one he won't end up bashing across the room

More a summer thing, but what about frozen beef stock and some bones or something in it? Would keep them quiet at the very least! Haha.

Perhaps if you have the yard space, hide a bunch of cool things around the place, or a sandpit with goodies buried in it?

I don't know much about the toys personally, but the treat balls are always a blast, at least to watch!

I use the Nina Ottoson toys for mine and though they are pretty expensive they haven't broken yet.

It's not that he breaks them, its more that he just flips it over instead of working out the puzzle

My Ridgeback is very hard on toys too - prefers bashing the treats out with his brick-like paws to manoeuvring them around with his mouth.

My Malinois, on the other hand, is very gentle but likes to dismantle the whole bloody thing, right down to the little rubber grippers on the bottom in case there are more treats hiding there.

Apart from a chewed (and now demented) plastic bone neither have managed to destroy the plastic Nina Ottosson toys. We have the Tornado and the Twister.

ETA, if he flips them over let him work out how to flip them back. The treats wont come out if the toy is upside down anyway.

Edited by SecretKei

I use the Nina Ottoson toys for mine and though they are pretty expensive they haven't broken yet.

It's not that he breaks them, its more that he just flips it over instead of working out the puzzle

My Ridgeback is very hard on toys too - prefers bashing the treats out with his brick-like paws to manoeuvring them around with his mouth.

My Malinois, on the other hand, is very gentle but likes to dismantle the whole bloody thing, right down to the little rubber grippers on the bottom in case there are more treats hiding there.

Apart from a chewed (and now demented) plastic bone neither have managed to destroy the plastic Nina Ottosson toys. We have the Tornado and the Twister.

ETA, if he flips them over let him work out how to flip them back. The treats wont come out if the toy is upside down anyway.

Ahh see that's good! Every other toy I have releases the treats if it gets flipped so it's pointless

Can you attach the base of that toy (haven't seen it before, looks great!) to a big square piece of heavy wood? I think it you glued/screwed/nailed it to a large base he might not be able to tip it over.