Registered Breeder

Whipitgood

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with reporting someone to the states controlling body in the following situation - A Registered Breeder, breeding registered pedigree litters under their prefix, all fine and good. But they are also breeding designer dogs (happily advertising it on their FB page!) but under their husbands name, who lives on the same property obviously. They are also breeding many pure bred breeds that they don't register. The thing is, the wife's name is on the prefix, the husband's is not and she tells me its "him" breeding the DDs, not her.

My guess is, because his name isn't on her prefix and "he" is the one breeding the DDs, then the states controlling body cant do anything?

They are very new to the breeding world (in terms of registering a prefix) but their website has all the hallmarks of a puppy farm.

AFAIK it's only if a member's dog is used in the cross breeding that the state body can take action. So if she bred a whole bunch of dogs and transferred them to the husband's name then there's nothing to report. But if any of the dogs being used are in her name, then she is in breech of the COE. Next thing to do would be to prove it... :(

Sandra is right. And proving that the dogs used are the registered ones is the problem. The controlling bodies don't want to force anybody to DNA test everything they own in case they are wrong and get stuck with court costs and that is the only way they can prove that the registered dogs are being used on unregistered dogs or dogs of another breed.

She is able to breed DD as well even though she is the member as long as she doesn't use her ANKC registered dogs in the breedings. Even then if you could prove she was allowing her registered dogs to be used to breed DDs you have to prove it was deliberate and the dog didn't simply jump the fence.

Really? Thats madness. :mad You would think that any Registered Breeder would be banned from breeding DDs whether they were using their registered dogs or not.

I figured as much.

Thats a shame. The fact that she is putting photos up on her FB page of where they whelp etc (and it is less than favourable i can tell you!) suggests she is an idiot too!

She is able to breed DD as well even though she is the member as long as she doesn't use her ANKC registered dogs in the breedings. Even then if you could prove she was allowing her registered dogs to be used to breed DDs you have to prove it was deliberate and the dog didn't simply jump the fence.

Really? Thats madness. :mad You would think that any Registered Breeder would be banned from breeding DDs whether they were using their registered dogs or not.

I figured as much.

Thats a shame. The fact that she is putting photos up on her FB page of where they whelp etc (and it is less than favourable i can tell you!) suggests she is an idiot too!

It is not against the law to breed dogs in Australia!!!!!

No its not and the code of ethics for registered breeders has always allowed registered breeders to breed anything they want as long as they don't use their ANKC registered dogs to do so.

Being an ANKC registered breeder in Victoria gets you exemptions and you dont have to own a registered dog to be a member .Many breeders have membership to enable them these exemptions and breed Designer dogs and never have any intention of ever breeding a registered dog - one is even high up with the AAPDB, some breed un registered working dogs and others breed cross bred mutts.

And your point would be Dragonwoman?! ...

Breeding working dogs is somewhat different to puppy farming DD breeds.

I figured as much.

It is not against the law to breed dogs in Australia!!!!!

Edited by Whipitgood

I gave a puppy to a 'friend' as a house pet, definately pet only, desexed when old enough, I was assured.

I recently visited, to my dismay she has a litter of oodle cross puppies? All sold already, if I heard right? for $1,500 each?

What sort of idiots pay so much for what is essentially a mongrel?

Edited by inez

People pay it unfortunately. It's supply and demand - plenty of idiots will dish out the money for these oodles, so breeding them continues.

I gave a puppy to a 'friend' as a house pet, definately pet only, desexed when old enough, I was assured.

I recently visited, to my dismay she has a litter of oodle cross puppies? All sold already, if I heard right? for $1,500 each?

What sort of idiots pay so much for what is essentially a mongrel?

because they slap a 'cute' name on the pups, tell potential buyers a bunch of lies about the cross only having the best of the good parts of each parent and assure them that they will have something noone else will....welcome to todays society, :(

I think fighting DD's is a loosing battle, and doing so vocally generally alienates the purebred dog fancy from the general public. To someone who has their heart set on a particular DD cross, someone trying to stop a breeder from producing that cross looks like an arrogant snob.

After all, many of our modern breeds were created through a lot of cross breeding 150 to 200 years ago. Eg, many gun dog breeds enjoy the benefits of introducing bloodlines from the lesser St. John's 'water dog'. The modern pug looks nothing like the pugs found in 17th and 18th century paintings.

Half of Queen Elizabeth II's famous corgis are, in fact 'dorgis', ie corgi x daschund (information found on the Royal website).

Better to reserve energy for breeding healthier dogs, who fit in well with modern lifestyles. If you want to pick on breeders, put pressure on those who use dogs with unstable temperament or known health defects.

After all, many of our modern breeds were created through a lot of cross breeding 150 to 200 years ago. Eg, many gun dog breeds enjoy the benefits of introducing bloodlines from the lesser St. John's 'water dog'. The modern pug looks nothing like the pugs found in 17th and 18th century paintings.

This is correct, but the end game with the modern purebreds was to create something to breed 'true' and consistant. DD's do not have this goal, only financial rewards. Therein lies the BIG difference!

This is correct, but the end game with the modern purebreds was to create something to breed 'true' and consistant. DD's do not have this goal, only financial rewards. Therein lies the BIG difference!

Breeding for true and consistent lines happened, eventually. I suspect that the dog dealers in Newfoundland who supplied 'water dogs' to English/Scottish buyers were motivated by the desire to make money, not a goal to create a consistent type. It's documented that they crossed to larger dogs when the market wanted larger dogs . . . hence the Newfoundland's giant-ism . . . and who knows what else they did. When the dogs hit England, there was a lot of experimentation, generally aimed at producing better gun dogs. It took many many generations before breed standards were developed and consistent and true breeds emerged. My guess is that some of the DD crosses will sort themselves out, as the F-N generations of the labradoodle are doing, and some of them will fall by the wayside.

The landed aristocracy isn't what it used to be. The way that breeds are created and evolve will necessarily change. There is large demand for dogs of certain types. If 'the fancy' doesn't satisfy this demand, people will turn elsewhere. I don't think the purebred community has a reason to complain.