New Vic Only Law With Advertising

Rottsup

We don't have any puppies or any litters due.

However I was wondering what breeders were doing in regards to this new law in Victoria where the microchip number must be included in your advertisement. My interpretation of this law is that you can not advertise your litter ie: 6 girls & 6 boys without inluding 12 microchip numbers in the said ad. If this is the case then I wont be advertising my puppies (when ever that may be) until after they are 6 weeks old as I will not microchip until a min age of 6 weeks. Wondering what other breeders do and particularly breeders with small breeds in Victoria will do too...

PS: This State is so legislated (not just with animals) and over taxed that I wonder why ppl choose to live in Victoria !!!!

Edited by Rottsup

I won't do a breeding until I have a waiting list for people wanting a puppy from me, but there is always a chance that I get a big litter or someone changes their mind & I'll have to advertise a couple of puppies.

I have a small breed, & there's no way I would microchip any of my babies until they are atleast 6-7 weeks old. I've already asked my vet if I would be able to purchase the chips early to get the numbers for the ad & then get them implanted when the puppies are older,but they have told me they're not comfortable with that agreement,so it is very frustrating. I haven't asked them about the vet certificate yet,but I am hoping they will give me one or I might have to change vets...I want to do a breeding in the 1st half of next year, so hopefully my vet can help me out with the certificate.

This law is just so ridiculous, especially for registered breeders, as we have to provide chip numbers to register the puppies anyway, so its not like we will be selling them without microchipping....I heard we can't even announce the litter on our own personal web sites without providing chip numbers, which is very annoying, because I like to start a puppy album from the minute they are born, so my puppy owners can follow their growth & development.

Edited by Baileys mum

Yes, well we have Dobes and both myself and my vet are not happy to microchip until 6 weeks of age - at the earliest. To do it any earlier is something I will never do, those needles are huge. Luckily our vet is happy to do both - the chips are paid for prior to insertion and put aside for those few weeks. Its not like you are buying 10 litters worth. Pity your vet wont help you comply with the law - find a new vet.

Yes, well we have Dobes and both myself and my vet are not happy to microchip until 6 weeks of age - at the earliest. To do it any earlier is something I will never do, those needles are huge. Luckily our vet is happy to do both - the chips are paid for prior to insertion and put aside for those few weeks. Its not like you are buying 10 litters worth. Pity your vet wont help you comply with the law - find a new vet.

Yeah I think I will, I'm not very happy with their attitude, I mean if other vets are happy enough to do it that way, I don't really know what there problem is. It's handy that this vet is only a 5 minute drive from us, & good incase of an emergency,but I'm disappointed in their attitude.

I won't do a breeding until I have a waiting list for people wanting a puppy from me, but there is always a chance that I get a big litter or someone changes their mind & I'll have to advertise a couple of puppies.

I have a small breed, & there's no way I would microchip any of my babies until they are atleast 6-7 weeks old. I've already asked my vet if I would be able to purchase the chips early to get the numbers for the ad & then get them implanted when the puppies are older,but they have told me they're not comfortable with that agreement,so it is very frustrating. I haven't asked them about the vet certificate yet,but I am hoping they will give me one or I might have to change vets...I want to do a breeding in the 1st half of next year, so hopefully my vet can help me out with the certificate.

This law is just so ridiculous, especially for registered breeders, as we have to provide chip numbers to register the puppies anyway, so its not like we will be selling them without microchipping....I heard we can't even announce the litter on our own personal web sites without providing chip numbers, which is very annoying, because I like to start a puppy album from the minute they are born, so my puppy owners can follow their growth & development.

The problem here is that you can be a Vic Dogs registered breeder and still breed unregistered dogs so they will never be registered with Vicdogs.

Yeah I think I will, I'm not very happy with their attitude, I mean if other vets are happy enough to do it that way, I don't really know what there problem is. It's handy that this vet is only a 5 minute drive from us, & good incase of an emergency,but I'm disappointed in their attitude.

You can buy the chips yourself directly from the distributor and take them with you to the vet or to who ever implants them.

You can buy the chips yourself directly from the distributor and take them with you to the vet or to who ever implants them.

Can't do that In Victoria :mad The only way is to get someone from interstate to buy them for you.

I have seen sites where you can order chips online, but they said that you have to be a licenced implanter to buy them, & have to give your licence no when ordering them. :confused: Is there a site that sells them to the general public?

Someone advertises in the DogsNSW journal from memory and I know someone who purchased some a couple of years ago via the net but it may have changed - they took the chips to a vet for implantation and they saved some dollars on each one though some states and some countries dont have requirements about implanters being the only ones able to put them in so its hard to believe you couldnt buy them somewhere unless you are an implanter. If I get some time Ill check it out.

At least for now its not illegal to sell chips to anyone or to buy them if you are not authorised but in some states its illegal for anyone other than a vet or authorised implanter to put them in dogs, cats or horses.

So far all Ive seen on line who sell them in australia have a policy of only selling chips intended for use in these animals to authorised implanters but I could buy them for my sheep, mice or guinea pigs rofl1.gif and all it takes is this at the end of the order process. Which you may miss

You must be an Authorised Implanter and licensed within the State or Territory in which you operate to purchase microchips from

our site if you intend to implant: Dogs, Cats and/or Horses. By proceeding with your purchase you agree that you are capable

and authorised to perform microchip implantations.

There are no checks to ensure you are authorised and it would solve the problem but first you need to check your vet or authorised implanter will do it for you if you buy the chips from somewhere else.

I have put on face book page that I have pups but nothing about selling them.biggrin.gif

Actually I do not think that I will have to advertise as I have enough on my waiting list.

However per the microchipping laws I never advertised before 7.5 ish weeks so they would have been microchipped anyway.

I beleive you can advertise a newborn litter (as a litter), but when you advertise individual pups, they must include the chip number. No one seems to be doing it though..all you have to do is look at DOL advertising for breeders in Vic and see how LITTLE they abide by the rules. I brought this to the attention of the owner of the website and was told there wasn't anything they could do to police it....I beleive that there has been some checks and balances put in place to ensure that anyone advertising from Vic, includes the chip number.

As for chipping, I do mine at 4-5 weeks...(and mine are smaller than dobes) Yes the needle is big, but that's irrelivant and often the arguement used by toy breeders to not chip. Over the years I have chipped thousands of dogs of different breeds and never had any ill effects. I have never hit a nerve, a vein or caused any physical damage (unlike what some vets and supposedly approved chippers have done)My chips don't migrate....they stay where I put them.

I'm in the middle of a fairly heavy puppy farm district (or back yard breeders if you will) and BOY are they pissed off that they are told that they have to chip before selling....another vet bill??? Most simply don't do it, because the law is difficult to enforce....mark my words, the sale of backyard pups will now soon include the statement.."well if you don't want it chipped, it'll cost you only this much", much the same as we hear about 'papers'.

It's a good intention law, that won't really solve too many problems, but kudos for trying.

(from someone that's been d tattooing for over twenty years because it's the right thing to do, not because I was legislated into doing it!)

• 3 weeks later...

I sent an email some a few months ago (just after the meeting about the new regulations) to the DPI asking just this matter.

They replied that it is acceptable to advertise an upcoming litter or the litter born but you cannot advertise individual puppies unless the microchip number is displayed.

Hence even on dogs online you should not show each puppy as ON HOLD, SOLD, AVAILABLE. but there is nothing wrong with having the whole litter displayed as how many boys girls colours etc....

Damm stupid really but they thought this was acceptable.

If you wish to clarify then email the Department of Primary Industries - perhaps if they are bombarded with emails on this they might decide to allow us to advertise using our Vic Dog Registration Number.... just as the commercial puppy farmer can advertise using their breeder number.

I sent an email some a few months ago (just after the meeting about the new regulations) to the DPI asking just this matter.

They replied that it is acceptable to advertise an upcoming litter or the litter born but you cannot advertise individual puppies unless the microchip number is displayed.

Hence even on dogs online you should not show each puppy as ON HOLD, SOLD, AVAILABLE. but there is nothing wrong with having the whole litter displayed as how many boys girls colours etc....

Damm stupid really but they thought this was acceptable.

If you wish to clarify then email the Department of Primary Industries - perhaps if they are bombarded with emails on this they might decide to allow us to advertise using our Vic Dog Registration Number.... just as the commercial puppy farmer can advertise using their breeder number.

Well how does that marry up with what Troy was told and this?

Q. What if I'm a breeder advertising the future availability of puppies or kittens that aren't born or are too young for sale?

A. As long as your advertisement relates only to the future availability of litters (litters not currently born), and does not include reference to animals currently "for sale", the microchip requirements do not apply. However, once puppies or kittens are born they must be advertised with a microchip number or have a veterinary certificate stating that they are too young to microchip as it would be prejudicial to their health. Such advertisements must be kept up to date; as soon as these animals are of an age suitable for microchipping,in the opinion of a veterinarian, the microchip details must also be displayed in the advertisement.

No bloody wonder no one understands the law let alone know when they are breaking it - just depends on who answers the question on the day apparently.

Edited by Steve