Rest In Peace, Caesar

Penumbra

Not being able to withstand his own weight anymore, Caesar was put to sleep on the 13th of last month. He was outside near the spot in the photo, and was wrapped in a red blanket (sound familiar?)... He was obviously a Merle, but I'm not sure if he was a Mantle one or a Tri-Colour. Because his coat did have some red, brown and orange in it... Anyway, if he looks like he's sad, it's just because he had a cyst growing on his right eyelid at the time. He had it removed a couple of years ago (along with a serious tumor), and luckily survived. That of which I'm extremely grateful for.

Thank you.

post-45899-0-13466500-1346521909_thumb.jpg

Dear Caesar,

You were amazing, brother. A true

Service%20Dog%20Cad.jpg if ever I saw one.....

You were always such a gentleman. And always so grateful. That I don't think you even realized that you saved lives. But you did... Especially mine.....

I always knew that there was something special about you, but I could never pinpoint it. Now I know...

great_dane_yin_yang_mousepad-p144371629654314599en7lc_210.jpg

:) :grimace:

You were the best mate I could have ever hoped for. And I thank you so much for sticking with me as long as you did. It was a complete and utter privilege to be your friend.

Rest in peace, brother. I will see you again when the time is right.

DyingAlexGrey.jpg

alexgrey.com

Edited by Penumbra

Thank you very much guys. I am still really up and down, but I have hope that the pain will leave soon enough. Knowing full well that it will still return from time to time.

He was gorgeous and looks so regal in that pic you posted.

Somebody else recently told me that. :) He was definitely the king of the house. :grimace:

so sorry for your loss, 14 is an awe sum effort for a great dane. his colour is a merle BTW

Thank you fellow Great Dane lover. :) And in regard to Caesar's colour, I know that he's a Merle... but apparently there are different kinds... http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/merle-great-danes.html

It looks like you're right though, in that he appears to be just a standard Merle... He's definitely not a Tri-Colour or a Mantle(oops), and if I was going to place a bet on any of the others I would say Silver... Anyway, whatever the case, I absolutely adored his patterns. The fact that Merles can't be show dogs is complete rubbish IMHO. Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

So sorry for your loss Penumbra. I don't have danes, but they are gorgeous dogs and I wasn't aware they could live that long.

You obviously took wonderful care of him over his lifetime. I hope the pain is fading and your good memories are in your thoughts of him now.

Thanks guys. :)

Only some of the pain has gone, Zug Zug. Luckily though, most of that was of the physical kind. Which is not a nice sensation at all...

With regards to emotional pain, there is still plenty of that lingering. And no doubt it will linger for quite some time yet. On a more positive note, things are definitely better now than they were a couple of weeks ago. Talk about the lowest point of my life...

Anyway, when things get too hard, I just try and focus on something different. And remind myself that I don't have to get all of my grieving done at once. It can be hard taking each day at a time when you're unemployed though. Constantly thinking about your prospects of the future... I'm just hoping that this job I'm meant to start next month will actually start. Then it will be much easier for me to focus on something different.

Cheers, Zug Zug. Peace.

14 for a Dane is amazing. Rest easy big fella. Very sorry for your loss penumbra. The pain does get easier, but I think will never completely go away. It has been nearly 11 months since losing my big red girl and not a day goes by without thinking of her.

Thank you very much all. Thank you, Kajtek.

He was beautiful, corrie. The kindness of his nature was just incredible. A complete gentleman.

I was terrible yesterday, Clover. I just started having a good think about him, and then bang, depression... 11 months, eh? Yeah, I can definitely see that happening with me as well. When I call him a brother, I truly mean it. He was practically all the family I had left. And because he was still with me when the rest of my family died, I didn't have to get any therapy. I owe him everything.

Clover is beautiful! :heart:

I am so glad that Caesar made it to 14. But at the same time, he died within 36 hours of going bad. It was just too fast. Too soon. And that's the main reason I believe I'm traumatized by it. Regarding support from others, have any of you found that it can be hard to get? Have you come across people that just don't want to talk to you about it? As if it's "too deep" for them or something...?

Edited by Penumbra

They have such a massive impact on our lives so it is no wonder the huge void they leave :(. I can sympathise with with you, Clover left me very quickly as well it was less than 24 hours from her hurting her good leg to her being gone :(. The worst thing I have ever had to go through.

Caesar sounds like an amazing boy, he will be with you forever.

Sounds like she went the same kind of way that Caesar did. Although, in his case it was his bad leg that went. Anyway, I am sorry. What can be done though, right? We all leave this world at some point. And it's always got to be something that causes it...

Death isn't the opposite of life. Death is the opposite of birth. Life is eternal... :grimace:

Thank you, Clover. :heart: