7 Year Old Bullmastiff Needs A Home!

Guest _MADCAT_

Guest _MADCAT_

Hey all,

My friend came to me asking if I can help re-home her friends 7 year old Bullmastiff, Jake.

He's a gentle giant, loves cuddles and following you around, he's a typical Bullmastiff.

I have 2 bullmastiffs (one is 3 months old) and a Great Dane X so I simply can't even offer a temp home for him.. He is moving into a rental property soon and needs to find his beloved Jake a new home.. I suggested boarding but he doesn't know how long he will be at this rental.. I also said maybe try to even apply for rentals WITH his dog (I got my first rental property when I had just 1 bullmastiff, they let me have him and he didn't destroy the yard!)

So if anyone knows anyone in ADELAIDE looking for an older gentle giant, Jake is your boy.

I'm not 100% on all the details so will update when I know more info. just getting the word out for now.

Thank you.

(Will post contact details when I know them...)

jake7yearoldbullmastiff.jpg

Sad how quickly an owner gives up on their loyal pet of 7 years.

Yes it sure is. I just could never do that. So very sad. He's a very handsome boy too. Hope he finds a loving dedicated owner/home that he deserves very soon.

Edited by BC Crazy

Guest donatella

Whats the average age span of a BM?

I hope he finds a lovely new home to live out the last of his days, he's absolutely gorgeous!

Yes, the owner should first contact the Jake's original breeder. And, yes, also contact the Bullmastiff Club of South Australia. The contact details are on their website.

Also have a look at the Pet Therapy page on that Bullmastiff Club website. Fantastic pic of Mungo, the BM, doing pet therapy with a man who's had a stroke.

The website makes the suggestion of contacting the Delta Society to get involved with pet therapy. Jake as a gentle, mellow giant could be perfect.... and someone at the Delta Society might know of someone who'd like to take him on, in that role.

http://www.bmcsouthaust.org/

I'd keep trying all options, including also contacting the Bullmastiff Club of Victoria... could know of someone interested in taking as a pet a BM as gorgeous as Jake. Just a drive across...

http://www.bmcvictoria.com/

By the way, the availability of rental accommodation for people with pets is becoming a serious issue. Just ask AWL Qld.

Edited by mita

Guest _MADCAT_

Maybe contact the bullmastiff club of south Australia they may be able to help.

I'm a member of the Bullmastiff club of SA so already asked them, they're trying to help out but supposedly the owner might be able to still keep his dog..

I know its heart breaking, but I got evicted because of a psycho ex and had to give my bullmastiff to a friend for a few months, funny thing is we eventually started dating and now we have another bullmastiff puppy.. I know how hard it can be thinking you have nowhere to go, let alone take a dog with you.. I slept in my wagon for a while until I got back on my feet... so I'm sure rehoming Jake isn't easy for this guy, but fingers crossed he might be able to keep it!!

8 to 10 years so he is getting on a bit, but looks lovely.have they contact his breeder

I would happily take him, but we applied to the council for our 3rd dog and bringing an older bullmastiff into my pack wouldn't be a good idea...

But I'm waiting to hear back from my friend to see whats happening with this old fella...

Thanks everyone!

Edited by _MADCAT_

Guest lavendergirl

Yes, the owner should first contact the Jake's original breeder. And, yes, also contact the Bullmastiff Club of South Australia. The contact details are on their website.

Also have a look at the Pet Therapy page on that Bullmastiff Club website. Fantastic pic of Mungo, the BM, doing pet therapy with a man who's had a stroke.

The website makes the suggestion of contacting the Delta Society to get involved with pet therapy. Jake as a gentle, mellow giant could be perfect.... and someone at the Delta Society might know of someone who'd like to take him on, in that role.

http://www.bmcsouthaust.org/

I'd keep trying all options, including also contacting the Bullmastiff Club of Victoria... could know of someone interested in taking as a pet a BM as gorgeous as Jake. Just a drive across...

http://www.bmcvictoria.com/

By the way, the availability of rental accommodation for people with pets is becoming a serious issue. Just ask AWL Qld.

I think you are correct Mita - a change of attitude amongst landlords is the key and admittedly some tenants abuse the priviledge. Just look on any rental site and see how many take pets - not many. For those that will take a dog a weight limit often applies.

I think many people are genuinely distressed to have to give up a pet for this reason - its not black and white.

[ a change of attitude amongst landlords is the key and admittedly some tenants abuse the priviledge. Just look on any rental site and see how many take pets - not many. For those that will take a dog a weight limit often applies.

I think many people are genuinely distressed to have to give up a pet for this reason - its not black and white.

Yes, the problem has been well publicised here by both the RSPCA and AWL. There's increasing numbers of genuine pet lovers having to relinquish animals. Rental accommodation is in short-supply overall... and landlords willing to take pets are even fewer. You're right, too, that even when pets are allowed, there are weight limits.

One case among many highlighted by AWL was a man living in his car, with his Ridgie-type dog, because even tho' he could find accommodation, there was none willing to take his dog.

Guest _MADCAT_

I got told the whole story, but I will leave some personal details out.

He went over sea's to see his family, and when he came back his Wife took the kids and all the house hold belongings minus the lounge suite and Jake.

So he is in the middle of an ugly divorce and just trying to make sure if all goes bad he has a home for Jake.

he is selling his house so he has a while to find Jake a home if all goes bad BUT he said that he will be buying a small house with the money left over so he can keep Jake with him.

So if all goes well he won't have to adopt him out. but will update this thread if all turns bad and he does need to rehome him.

Poor bugger! That must have been a shock :(

I have my :crossfingers: that everything turns out and he can keep him :)

Yep, same here, wish him the best.

Maybe if he is buying a home he could speak to some boarding kennels? They may give a very reduced rate for a long stay (I know of a kennels who did similar here)