Breed Suggestions Please :)

parrotpea

I am currently thinking about adding another dog member to my family - not immediately, but in the next year or so. I have always had staffords, and have a two year old female currently. She has a VERY high prey drive! I also have two inside cats.

I moved to a large property about 12 months ago and have h ad a few issues with her chasing and attacking wildlife. She is a fantastic rabbit and mouse catcher, which is great, but if she finds an echidna, she will just bite at it, and tear her gums and lips up, and will kill it if I don't intervene.

So my very long-winded story is to explain that I am interested to know what kinds of dogs tend to have a lower prey drive, and less tendency to cause themselves injury.

I love snuggly, cuddly dogs. With low maintenance hair. I work from home, and have two young children. I am not keen on doing *large* amounts of training, but I do walk at least three times a week.

I am leaning towards whippet, pomeranian, cavalier, possibly a brittany or springer - a whippet does appeal to me the most, but I am a little concerned that it might injure itself going after a rabbit and running into a fence or something (I have read somewhere that can be a problem).

Edited by parrotpea

My whippets have run into fences before but where they know the fences ie the 5 acres around the house and certain paddocks they know where the fences are and have no issues.

Mine can be called off chasing bunnies and I once had an incident which saw a guinea pig and her babies loose and bolting around. Both dogs were told to leave and they did. They are taught recall and leave it from day dot and it is repeatedly re-inforced

They are not allowed to take themselves off hunting and they are in their yard when I am not home. I have a strict no dogs in paddock rule, they are only allowed in when invited which is rare. Mine have never required stitch ups and they have run into trees but that was when they had eyes only for the ball

Edited by OSoSwift

Guest donatella

I am totally going for Pomeranian, they are beautiful however, I do worry if you have a high prey drive dog it might see a small fluffy as dinner....

A Pug!! My Pug keeps up with my high energy, prey driven Stafford and they are great mates. He has no prey drive, is cuddly and they love being indoors. Upside of blacks they tend to shed less (mine barely sheds) but they are crazier. Fawns shed bucketloads but are generally less crazy.

Just adding that even though Pugs are small they really play well with Staffords. I have found mine to be a tough little dog ready for rough and tumble with the Stafford. I think the Pug even exhausts the Stafford!

Edited by Clyde

Sandra I could totally see that happening....

OSS - that is good to know about the whippies.

donatella - Ruby is very good with animals she knows - ie, my two cats she is fine with, even if they happen to get outside, she knows them and is fine with them. One more than the other - one cat tells her in no uncertain terms who is boss, the other cat tends to be more playful with her and then occasionally ends up regretting his choice as she gets a little exuberant. She has never ever hurt either of them though, I think it's the ragdoll nature, that he won't tell her off at all.

Oh I love pugs clyde! Sounds like a pug would cope with Ruby then! I would be less worried about a pug getting overpowered by my staff. Ooh pugs are definitely on the list :) That's interesting about the shedding - why would the colour affect how much they shed? (With two medium -haired cats in the house already in the house, hair is certainly a consideration!)

That's interesting about the shedding - why would the colour affect how much they shed?

I'm not sure to be honest. I guess the same could be said for the different temps between the two too. Alvin is also a single coat so I think we struck gold with him. Like you, with 3 Persians and Maremmas the shedding was a definite consideration. I never thought I would say this but considering the nature of your Staff I would be inclined to go with a black as the crazy little things really match well with Staff's. Mine doesn't necessarily run as much but he still keeps up. He will run smaller circles or when he runs out of puff still chase off after her making her run but he doesn't get as far. Hope this makes sense. They are a lot of fun and generally good with other animals. He has only given the odd chase after a chook/duck/cat but there is nothing in it. You do need to be well fenced though, if they think there is food out there somewhere they will go find it!

The one thing that would cause major issues could be getting a "lower prey drive" dog and the current dog teaching it how much fun hunting is.... seen that a fair bit

I agree with this. If they learn from the stafford you will have a pack formed that starts killing wildlife. I think work on the stafford before getting another, a pug wont say no to grabbing a small animal if it learns it from the staff.

I agree with the others about your current dog probably teaching any new dog about chase and kill.

Coming from a farm growing up, it is usual practise to let the younger pups follow on behind the older dogs and learn from them about life on the land.

Even if you get a lower drive dog it will still instinctively form a pack with your older dog and add to the potential damage.

Id work on Ruby first and then add another dog once you have her a bit more 'chilled out'

But if I had to choose, Id say a Brittany, but I am biased :)

I don't mind her catching rabbits - so how would I teach her to differentiate between rabbits and echidnas? I wondered if it was a bull breed trait that causes her not to leave something alone if it is causing her pain. I don't know of any neighbours dogs which will hurt themselves the way she will - most dogs, if they get their mouth pricked by echidna spines, will back off, from what I have seen with friends and neighbours dogs.

I don't mind her catching rabbits - so how would I teach her to differentiate between rabbits and echidnas? I wondered if it was a bull breed trait that causes her not to leave something alone if it is causing her pain. I don't know of any neighbours dogs which will hurt themselves the way she will - most dogs, if they get their mouth pricked by echidna spines, will back off, from what I have seen with friends and neighbours dogs.

You can't easily teach the difference in any practical sense.

Any breed of dog will lose its sense of touch if it's adrenaline is surging hard enough.

Bullbreeds were originally selected for their propensity for this and so it's never surprising to hear of it happening. They are tenacious.

The more you allow this dog to chase and kill any type of animal, the more you keep her prey drive high because the behaviour is so rewarding.

All dogs have prey drive to some degree. You might be best to get an adult rescue dog that has been assessed as not showing prey drive towards the types of animals on your property. And most importantly keeping your dogs confined away from areas where wild animals are likely to be.

I am currently thinking about adding another dog member to my family - not immediately, but in the next year or so. I have always had staffords, and have a two year old female currently. She has a VERY high prey drive! I also have two inside cats.

I moved to a large property about 12 months ago and have h ad a few issues with her chasing and attacking wildlife. She is a fantastic rabbit and mouse catcher, which is great, but if she finds an echidna, she will just bite at it, and tear her gums and lips up, and will kill it if I don't intervene.

So my very long-winded story is to explain that I am interested to know what kinds of dogs tend to have a lower prey drive, and less tendency to cause themselves injury.

I love snuggly, cuddly dogs. With low maintenance hair. I work from home, and have two young children. I am not keen on doing *large* amounts of training, but I do walk at least three times a week.

I am leaning towards whippet, pomeranian, cavalier, possibly a brittany or springer - a whippet does appeal to me the most, but I am a little concerned that it might injure itself going after a rabbit and running into a fence or something (I have read somewhere that can be a problem).

I would seriously think twice if training isn't part of the deal,your current dog does things that are trainable

Training will also be required for any of the coated breeds & trips to the groomers.

What is your dog like around other dogs ??

Would she share her catch with another dog or fight for it??

:( whichever breed you get ..it would be great training to not allow your dogs to chase rabbits or native wildlife . yes, if you work intensively and Train your dog to Hunt ..ie: it will immediately obey your command to either attack, or leave , by all means ..but not as a free form of recreation. It is risky for your dog, with fences, leg injuries, and spines in eyes/mouth....and deadly for the poor echidnas. :( :(

Our dogs do find echidnas..but never bite at them ....some of our dogs will chase, so are either enclosed, or on long lines - that way everyone stays safe:) Dogs can differentiate, but it takes a lot of informed work to get them to that stage ..and you have other obligations.

maybe build secure 'playgrounds' for your dogs .. some grass, shade, sand , and toys ..so they can enjoy outside and be calm & safe . walk on long lines .. where you retain control, and dog can run & sniff.

A high prey drive bull breed, and a sighthound who will chase may not be a good pair - and I think you could have some issues :(

Short coat would be ideal.. as you would then not have the problems of grass seeds/prickles. mud etc ...

She is most definitely not dog aggressive and I resent the inference that I would bring a new dog into my home if it was going to be attacked by my existing dog :(

She has been shown, and has regular contact with doggy friends, both at my house and at other peoples houses. Has never shown more than a growl in defence of food, she won't share, but she doesn't fight over food that I have ever seen. She normally eats her rabbits within about 3.2 seconds lol so there is no time for sharing.

She does not just have free reign to roam around. She is supervised whilst outside.

As I have already said, whilst supervised, I am happy for her to kill rabbits. They are a pest and an environmental nuisance.

I would appreciate constructive suggestions about how to train her re: rabbit hunting :)

Edited by parrotpea

[]She is most definitely not dog aggressive and I resent the inference that I would bring a new dog

into my home

Where did i say she was dog aggressive ?? :confused: Seems your getting your nickers in a knot over nothing .

I asked what is she like around others dogs ,not sure how you see that an issue.

Answer could be very gentle or typical Staffy in your face rough/tumble in which case a pom could be to breakable .

As to sharing her catch or fight that is a very legit question ,dogs can share there food bowls doesn't mean they will share there catch & something i would consider important to understand .

But each to there own

Edited by showdog

I would seriously think twice if training isn't part of the deal,your current dog does things that are trainable

Training will also be required for any of the coated breeds & trips to the groomers.

What is your dog like around other dogs ??

Would she share her catch with another dog or fight for it??

The last I heard, showdog, fighting for it constitutes a form of dog aggression.

I also never said that training wasn't a part of the deal. I said that I wasn't willing to do *large* amounts of training. Please read my post before making your snarky replies.