Malamute Urination

Existence

Hey all first time posting cant wait to share stories ????

But first i just adopted an all white malamute into our home he is 11 weeks old now n we have had him for 3 weeks hes a great dog fun loyal and a turd, but im after some medical type advice.

In the last few days we have had trouble with him urinating exseesivly (we are working on housetraining thats not the issue) the issue is its not uncommon fot Ghost to urinate in exsessive amounts extremly frequently, i understand that puppies bladders last hourlyish but after taking him out for his busniness he enters the home goes straight into the kitchen while we watch and leaves a puddle on the floor (standard size puddle) we as we do stern no and lead him back outside where he will sniff and dribble again on grass so we praise him n let him back in the house only for him to go back into the kitchen while we are watching and leaves a second large puddle (cleaned and disinfected the first) and we repeat the training with nO and take him back out side, this happens again for a few more times. Most was 4 large puddles within the hour aswell as the dribbling outside

Is he being defiant towards us or should we seek medical treatment for bladder problems, i dunno how he has so mych liquid to leave as the puddles are full stream full puddle

Any advice would ve greatdul

The internet doesnt have much on this topic only how to train

Vet check certainly to make sure all is good. But my questions are the following:

Is he always going in the same place in the house?

What are you washing the floors with? (many disinfectants - particularly ammonia based bleaches etc - still smell like urine to a dogs nose. Vinegar or enzyme based cleaners are best)

Do you go outside with your pup and stay with him while he toilets?

Is he on lead or off lead outside when you do this?

How long is he staying out there to toilet?

What is he doing while out there apart from toileting?

How well is he supervised in the house when he comes in?

How much of the house does he have access to and are you watching him 100%?

Do you have a crate or playpen that he goes in when you can't watch him?

Reason I ask is sometimes pups need more supervision and a slightly different routine than they may be getting.

And when a habit starts, you may need to change what you are doing in order to break it.

If he is going in the one location, he may now think this is where he needs to go.

For now you may need to limit access to that area - if he is inside have him in a crate, in a pen on a lead, or fully 100% supervised and watched.

When you take him outside to do his business, take him out on lead (a slip lead is handy to have around for this).

This is not play time or walk time so go to one spot and stand there. Be out there for AT LEAST 3 minutes.

No playing or patting etc in this time. Just give the pup time to circle and get down to business.

When you go back inside - restrict access/WATCH the pup.

If he looks like he is about to go, head STRAIGHT outside with him. Jog/hustle him out quickly.

If you are not quick enough and he starts to go in the house, a 'stern no' is not good enough (as it hasn't worked in the past...)

ROAR at him (ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!) - it has to be enough to startle him or it does nothing - then jog/hustle him outside.

(And remember if you don't catch them in the act, you can't tell them off - you just have to resolve to supervise more closely)

Praise when he goes outside in the right spot (as he is finishing going).

I have a 18 week pup here at the moment. As an example It is only just recently that she is allowed to wander around a room (still supervised) on her own.

Up to this point she has for the most part been in a pen or crate while inside or attached to me via a lead.

When not in her run, for the first few weeks she was always taken outside on lead to toilet.

At night she learns not to stuff around and outside is business time not play time.

During the day until recently if she is to be outside she was on lead until AFTER she toiletted THEN she was let off lead to play as a reward.

The privelige of house access and play is something she is slowly earning through the development of good toiletting habits.

Edited by espinay2

No its random positions (but kitchen is only other room he has access to other then our bed room n the den (where me n him spend most of the time)

Eycalipytus anti bacterial disifectant

O n vet check was fine

We stat outside untill he does h deed sometimes half hour sometimes 5min (depending on situation)

No lead no create

He has 100% acces to us n vs versa as my misses doesnt work and is always in view of one of us unless sleeping (his decsion he stays near us 99.9% time)

Im always outside with him and majority 8/10 times he pees instantly then sniffs around if number 2 if not he goes to the door n sits waiting for me to go inside with him, misses reports same.

He doesnt do everytime mainly after dark around 8 oclock, although its only if im not outside at this time (im an amataur stargazer) so majority of nights im out back with Ghost n my telescope, that was the reason i thought he might be doing it to tell me i should be looking at stars not cooking tea. I spend 3-4 nights a week outside depending on weather, rest of the time hes great smart n gets the idea n we dont have many problems beside slight urination when excited (expected) i was just conserned with the frequency n amount, at times, as its not a daily thing but a few times a week,

Thankyou for you replys just making sure my baby is fine

Sounds like he's turned peeing inside/going outside/coming back inside/going ouside into a fun game!

Might need to re-work things a bit to make it a bit more exciting for him to pee outside, ie: a nice treat or play session when he pees outside.

If I catch my pup peeing in the wrong spot, he gets growled out and put outside on his own for 5 minutes, with no interaction. Being ignored can be a pups worst punishment, especially if they are with you 24/7!

If all tests come back fine, then he's obviously not emptying his bladder fully the first time. My dog was a pest, he would go outside, go to the loo, come inside, pee immediately, put him out he'd go again, and bring him in and he'd pee AGAIN. I learnt pretty quickly to read his signals and know when he hadn't fully emptied the first time. I'd have to keep telling him to go and he would. He'd run around outside, pee, run around, pee, run around and then come inside. It took him until he was about 10 months for it to stop happening. I would just have to let him out, bring him in, then take him straight back out, and so on until knew he was finished. He was crate trained from early on, but we left him in there even longer, for a few hours at a time which helped regulate him more.

If all tests come back fine, then he's obviously not emptying his bladder fully the first time. My dog was a pest, he would go outside, go to the loo, come inside, pee immediately, put him out he'd go again, and bring him in and he'd pee AGAIN. I learnt pretty quickly to read his signals and know when he hadn't fully emptied the first time. I'd have to keep telling him to go and he would. He'd run around outside, pee, run around, pee, run around and then come inside. It took him until he was about 10 months for it to stop happening. I would just have to let him out, bring him in, then take him straight back out, and so on until knew he was finished. He was crate trained from early on, but we left him in there even longer, for a few hours at a time which helped regulate him more.

Added to this, if he is not fully emptying his bladder, I find this can be sometimes caused by owners praising their dogs the second they start peeing.

What I ensure i do when teaching my pups to empty on command is say the command, then wait, do not stare them down, just check peripherally, then ensure I am dead still and quiet whilst they are eliminating. Only praise and big fuss once they are finished. if you praise too early, they stop and come running for treat or going back indoors.

If you are not doing this, give it a try perhaps.

Personally I would be crating when inside or certainly only allowing the dog a small area unless 100% fully supervised (as in when you can and will see the dog showing signs of being about to pee and know you can stop it in time) for a while until the issue is sorted.

Good luck.

Added to this, if he is not fully emptying his bladder, I find this can be sometimes caused by owners praising their dogs the second they start peeing.

What I ensure i do when teaching my pups to empty on command is say the command, then wait, do not stare them down, just check peripherally, then ensure I am dead still and quiet whilst they are eliminating. Only praise and big fuss once they are finished. if you praise too early, they stop and come running for treat or going back indoors.

If you are not doing this, give it a try perhaps.

Personally I would be crating when inside or certainly only allowing the dog a small area unless 100% fully supervised (as in when you can and will see the dog showing signs of being about to pee and know you can stop it in time) for a while until the issue is sorted.

Good luck.

Very good point Dyzney, I was guilty of this with Luka at first, and he would come inside and go again. I soon learned to do as you say and wait till he had finished before the praise.

Ahh Dyzney, after all this time I think you solved my problem :laugh: OH would do 99% of the loo runs and he always (even 3 years on) praises the dogs as soon as they start!! I never looked at it that simply :rofl:

Great news BB. It is often a simple thing :)