Puppy Moving To A Raw Diet

ann21

Hi Everyone,

I am just beginning to switch my 8 month old pup to a BARF diet. Yesterday I gave him his usual kibble meals plus a chicken wing attached to the drummete as a snack and he was okay with eating it. Today is the second day and he had kibble for breakfast, chicken wing plus drummete for a snack again and for dinner a mix of chicken liver, yogurt, honey, olive oil and egg (including shell). Am I going ok so far? I've read through Ian Billinghursts give your dog a bone and the thread on raw feeding. It all seems so complicated! I feel like I'm winging it at the moment but hope to get onto a half kibble half raw diet in the next few weeks and slowly transition to all raw. Someone tell me I don't have to get everything perfect and it will all turn out ok!

Edited by ann21

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What works is what works for your dog.

Personally, I would not feed the chicken liver and egg in the one meal. Seems a bit rich to me. But then, some dogs have touchier systems than others.

One thing to do is watch what is coming out the other end. Poos should be smallish and firm. If you only add one item at a time, you can tell if it is causing a problem at the other end or not.

What works is what works for your dog.

Personally, I would not feed the chicken liver and egg in the one meal. Seems a bit rich to me. But then, some dogs have touchier systems than others.

One thing to do is watch what is coming out the other end. Poos should be smallish and firm. If you only add one item at a time, you can tell if it is causing a problem at the other end or not.

Ah, thanks noisymina. Think I got over enthusiastic and tried adding everything at once. Good idea to scale back and watch the poop each time.

honey? why honey?

I wondered that too! Seems like pointless sugar.

Plus chicken liver, yogurt, honey, olive oil and egg could be quite a rich introduction. I wouldn't give my guys all that at once and they have been on a raw diet basically since they were born (ok, well since they were weaned lol)

Edited by minimax

My raw is:

Dinner

Chicken leg/wing/frame/mince

Pureed steamed veg broccoli, asparagus, carrot

Omega 3 fish oil or flaxseed

1 Egg with shell

Breakfast:

Artemis 2 cups with 1tbs yoghurt

I think adding sugar via honey is not needed, they are pups they have energy and it just gets worse! :) so i wouldnt be adding any

Shell with the egg....really? Egg shells take ages to break down in the compost, i cant imagine that would be good to eat.....

Great calcium!

agreed, Gus gets the WHOLE thing :) dogs can breakdown bones they can break down egg shell haha its great calcium and no waste... I leave whole ones in the back yard for Gus to hunt :) he loves it.

Not trying to be rude or anything.. But are there ever any problems with dogs getting egg shells stuck in their gums or anything? embarrass.gif

nope, i crush it up and mix it in with the other stuff i've never had an issue with it, if you were really keen you could dry out the egg shell and grind it down to a powder? but i cant be bothered.

Shell with the egg....really? Egg shells take ages to break down in the compost, i cant imagine that would be good to eat.....

Great calcium!

agreed, Gus gets the WHOLE thing :) dogs can breakdown bones they can break down egg shell haha its great calcium and no waste... I leave whole ones in the back yard for Gus to hunt :) he loves it.

I feed raw too but I haven't fed egg shell because I was of the impression that the edible bones in the diet was enough for the calcium side of it.

Great calcium!

I feed raw too but I haven't fed egg shell because I was of the impression that the edible bones in the diet was enough for the calcium side of it.

You don't have to feed the shell. Some dogs love it though. I normally don't because mine will only eat the shell if I disguise it, crushing it up into a powder. Plus they primarily get their eggs scrambled :laugh:

honey? why honey? ..... also what breed do you have?

I read somewhere it was good for them (just half a teaspoon though). Think it might have been from the "give your dog a bone book" . Not something to give everyday for sure

Edited to add I have a mixed breed and he weighs 9kg.

Edited by ann21

My raw is:

Dinner

Chicken leg/wing/frame/mince

Pureed steamed veg broccoli, asparagus, carrot

Omega 3 fish oil or flaxseed

1 Egg with shell

Breakfast:

Artemis 2 cups with 1tbs yoghurt

I think adding sugar via honey is not needed, they are pups they have energy and it just gets worse! :) so i wouldnt be adding any

Thanks v much! It's hard when you are trying to figure out raw when there are so many different options on what to give. Its great to know what other people are feeding their pups :).

Great calcium!

You don't have to feed the shell. Some dogs love it though. I normally don't because mine will only eat the shell if I disguise it, crushing it up into a powder. Plus they primarily get their eggs scrambled :laugh:

I hard boil mine. What we do for our dogs eh! :D

honey? why honey?

I wondered that too! Seems like pointless sugar.

Plus chicken liver, yogurt, honey, olive oil and egg could be quite a rich introduction. I wouldn't give my guys all that at once and they have been on a raw diet basically since they were born (ok, well since they were weaned lol)

Thanks for the feedback. I've been reading about raw for awhile and I suppose I got over enthusiastic and wanted to include everything at once! Will definitely scale back now and try to space those foods over the week.

I have a 26kg staffy cross and this is what he eats:

Breaky is a chicken frame or a few chicken necks or a couple of wings or a turkey neck.

Dinner is a barf patty or home made mix of beef/chicken/turkey/roo and veg with some yoghurt or cottage cheese or an egg.

He gets about half a cup of royal canin kibble a day but most of the time this is put into his kong with peanut butter and cottage cheese (just to make it stick so it is a bit harder to get out - otherwise he just drops it on the ground until they all fall out, which is not much of a challenge for him).

He also gets fish a couple of times a week and brisket bones every few days for something to chew on... I don't give marrow bones anymore as he gets constipated on the extra calcium from all that bone.. The brisket bones seem to be a nice balance.

All food is fed raw - straight out of the fridge..