What Is Wrong With Getting Another Dog For Your Existing Dog?

aussielover

I honestly don't think my dogs would care if they were on their own each day. There is more to making a dog's life fulfilling then having another dog for company.

I get a dog when I want one, I am pretty sure my youngest dog would be quite happy for me not to add another dog to household that she will have to 'share' attention, time, resources etc with.

Getting another dog to keep another dog company as the sole reason is when the problems start in my opinion.

I have two dogs that can't be left out in the yard together when we go out. They have to be penned in the patio area (concreted area with a small dirt patch) or separated when left in the yard. The reason? They get up to a lot of mischief :laugh: Gigantic holes, plants ripped out, washing pulled off the line, they even pulled all the rubbish (not household rubbish) out of the trailer one time. When separated they must just lie down and go to sleep because the place is immaculate.

We had to get the patio fenced off and have the yard fenced so we could separate them, we will probably have to take this down when we want to sell the place! We were lucky to be able to do this but not all people would be able to.

I had been thinking about getting a second dog for a while. I wanted another but I also felt my first dog needed the companionship while I was at work. She's a very social dog and the cats wanted nothing to do with her. I ended up with a rescue that kind of fell into my lap. I wasn't really prepared yet for a second dog but she needed a home. My first dog adored her and still does. They are chalk and cheese in personality but they get on really well. Best thing I've done is get my rescue beagle x

As the title suggests; what is wrong with getting another dog for your existing dog?

Getting another dog does not 'solve problems' with an existing dog and may create more.

You can't solve problems like boredom or not getting enough exercise etc with a second dog - you just end up with 2 bored or under exercised dogs.

A second dog does not make the first dog 'easier' to live with - it just creates more responsibility.

Getting a second dog because they think their dog is 'lonely' or because they think the dog will be happier (i.e. baby for us, another dog for the dog so you don't have to interact with them as much) will not be as good for the dog as actually spending more quality time with the first dog. And if someone hasn't got the time for one dog, getting another to 'keep it company' is a disaster waiting to happen.

Having a second dog is great! (heck I have more than 2....), but a person needs to do it because THEY want another dog and have TIME for two dogs - not because they think it will take some of the burden off them if the dog has another doggy pal.

I don't see a problem with getting a second dog as company for the first. I feel really sorry for singleton dogs who are left on their own all day while owners are at work or shopping or socializing. Dogs are by nature pack animals - they should have company. You just have to accept that two dogs cause a lot more mischief than one! :-)

Dogs are by nature most active in the mornings and evenings (the correct term is 'crepuscular' - most active dawn and dusk - this is when they hunt for example) and given the right stimulation at these times, will generally mostly sleep during the day.

Even with multiple dogs, that is pretty much what they do all day here! (often in completely different locations and not near each other at all)

Guest lavendergirl

I don't think mine fits the norm then as it is so difficult to get him out of bed in the mornings :laugh:

Does it ever work then in solving a problem such as separation anxiety to get a second dog?

I am considering whether my little guy would be better off in a home with another dog as his separation anxiety seems incurable. :(

Fostering is a great way to see if your dog will be readily receptive to having a companion around... and who knows, you may find yourself a new forever friend at the same time.

I agree with persephone - any new addition to your fur-family should really be for yourself first, and your other dog's companion second...

T.

I agree T. Stan was quite happy being an only dog but I really wanted two, two boys actually. I had seven foster girls before Maddie came along and Stan just loved her. Fostering was a great way for me to find my second dog.

I think the issue is in the wording rather than adding another dog to your home.

Dogs don't feed, raise or train each other (or not to human ideals of those concepts anyway)

Whilst they are social creatures who do best in packs, dogs need more than just another dog's company. They need exercise, stimulation and interactions with their owners.

I suppose "getting a dog for your dog" in those terms suggests to me that folk might it solves the problem of how to meet your existing dog's needs. And it doesn't.

I think some people get a second dog in the hope it will make up for them spending less time with either ofn the dogs....for example, when I was working in rescue, a LOVELY lady came lokoing toadopt a dog, because she was heavily pregnant and worried that when the baby came she wouldn't be able to spend much time with her existing dog....the reality was, she would have an old dog whose world had changed (new human, less time with mum, and new dog at home) a new dog thrown into a family at a time of huge upheaval, and sort of expected the two dogs to somehow realise they were supposed to be keeping each other company....she had less time to train and help a new dog settle in....it was just a recipe for diaster all round.

I don't think mine fits the norm then as it is so difficult to get him out of bed in the mornings :laugh:

Does it ever work then in solving a problem such as separation anxiety to get a second dog?

I am considering whether my little guy would be better off in a home with another dog as his separation anxiety seems incurable. :(

It can depend on the cause.

Some it doesn't matter that there is another dog there (I have had a rescue like that).

Sometimes the other dog will pick up on their anxiety (I had a dog who was storm phobic and some of the other dogs would also react when she did. After she died, they became a LOT more settled during storms)

Perhhps a foster dog as some have suggested would give you an indication of whether it would help or not.

Guest lavendergirl

It can depend on the cause.

Some it doesn't matter that there is another dog there (I have had a rescue like that).

Sometimes the other dog will pick up on their anxiety (I had a dog who was storm phobic and some of the other dogs would also react when she did. After she died, they became a LOT more settled during storms)

Perhhps a foster dog as some have suggested would give you an indication of whether it would help or not.

Thanks. I am in a quandary as to what is best for him and am finding it a bit too stressful. I would like to try him with another dog but I don't want another dog myself. If I could gage whether it would help him somehow by having another dog to stay for a while it would be easier to know what to do. I don't want to rehome him to someone with a dog already only to have him display the same behaviour and get dumped - I only want what is best for him. But it is hard to know what that is :(

By providing a home for 1 or more dogs is such a joy for most people. While many people stop at 1 dog, there are those out there that opt for 2 or even 3. Before you consider taking on more than 1 dog, I think you really need to have an honest look at why. If it is to keep the other dog company while you are out, then this may not be the best reason. If the first dog has begun to exhibit any symptoms of separation anxiety (barking, chewing, digging) then by adding another dog you may simply have double trouble on your hands. Also as mentioned in a previous post, it can be hard when owning more than 1 dog to get that special time alone. If your dog is not exhibiting any separation anxiety then that's great! Having worked in a doggy day care for 2 years I really do see huge benefit in these places, I suggest good reaserch into one thats close by and ticks certain boxes. There are 2 main types, one is the traditional type where dogs are kept in runs, and some of then will be allowed play time with other dogs, in groups of about 6-8, or the other type is where they are put into a group for the day based on size and energy level, and they spend the day like this. The one I worked in was the latter. If doggy day care is not an option, then look at expanding your dogs world. This means have a look at his/her environment. Provide a sandpit for digging and hid treats in there so it will encourage them to dig there, be creative with boredom busters. Freeze treats in blocks of ice. Using old ice cream containers is great for this. Tie toys or treats from trees, hide food around the yard. Get creative!

By having 2 dogs the best thought here is to ready yourself for double the work, not half. As a trainer I know that it can be hard to retain your dogs focus in the park or where other dogs are. So be prepared to put in a bit of extra work with training 2 dogs. Dogs will learn more easily when they have no distractions.

In summary there is definately great things to be shared by having 2 dogs but there are also some things to think about.

Matt Melville

Owner of Canine Academy, Sydney

Canine Academy

I think so long as there are other reasons to you wanting it ie you want it as well then its OK.

But some people might have a trouble dog and get a second dog thinking that with company it will be ok which isn't always the case.

This...

I know of someone who has recently done this. She has made many excuses for her dogs poor behaviour however has been too stubborn to address many of the causes. Her dog is young and going through adolescence, is a high energy breed and thrives on attention. Their solution, go out and get another dog. Whether they wanted this dog or not, they have gone against much advice to sort out the problems with the existing dog, because they are convinced that all his problems will be solved because he will be entertained by the new dog. The new dog is younger, a 12 month old, rescue, unknown history, and not exactly a breed known for settling down early...

I'm just waiting for the shit to hit the fan...

There are several instances on here of where an only dog fell in love with a foster/rescue dog and so a second permanent dog was added to the household. So that says several important things to me. Firstly, the human has to be in a position to permanently have a second dog and a desire to have a second dog if the circumstances are right. Secondly the new dog has to fit in with the first dog - in fact the first dog has to love and need the new dog. Basically a second dog has to be for both of you given you will be sharing a life together for many years to come. It's a bit like that old analogy of it being about the icing on top of the cake and not the cake itself.

There are plenty of instances in rescue where people get a new dog and it doesn't get on with their existing dog so they get rid of the existing dog! They are certainly getting a second dog for the wrong reason and haven't factored in the needs and likes of their existing dog at all.

I also want to add that even though we are a multi-dog household (currently have 2 foster pups as well) we have a solid routine we adhere to for the dogs which actually includes one on one time with each of them doing something they love, which could simply be cuddles or it could be playing tug or brushing them. Whatever they enjoy, but we think it is important that this special time is not interupted by the other dogs. I personally find this one on one time very relaxing for me as well. It keeps our individual bonds strong with each dog.

There's lots of wise comments in this thread.

But I was a bit puzzled when I read the original post. I don't doubt the OP's experience in finding some breeders/rescuers a bit 'put-offing' a about someone getting another dog for an existing dog.

To be honest, I haven't experienced it, possibly because we've always had 2 dogs of the same breed, believing it's good for a dog to have company and also we appreciate the joy of 2 dogs. So I guess we would've covered many of the cautions that DOLers have posted about & what the OP picked up in responses from some breeders/rescuers.

When one dog has gone to doggie heaven, there's always that period when you go thro' all the worries again... will a second dog 'get on' with the resident dog. Usually, tho', there's been good advice about personality and needs from the registered breeder (she's always been spot on!). And within a couple of months, I've wondered what I worried about. I've also found the registered breeders to be very happy about placing a second dog in a home that's experienced with their breed...

But there's also the dog that just drops from the heavens! Our second sheltie came to us, after being found straying in awful condition and cleaned up beautifully by the Sheltie Club. All avenues to trace an owner failed, so we adopted him. Lovely dog that became a true 'heart dog'...& a great companion for our bossy female sheltie. Heaven-sent that second dog!

Edited by mita

An acquaintance of mine got dog 2 for dog 1. She actually said dog 2 was dog 1's pet. Dog 1 got attention, was picked up and was basically 'perfect'. Dog 2 on the other hand was a pain to own, was annoying, didnt get picked up etc. Dog 2 eventually got returned to the breeder (well it was left at the breeder to be minded and she just didnt get picked up)

That would be a situation where getting another dog for the existing dog didnt work out. That is certainly not the norm but it isnt all that unusual either.

As the title suggests; what is wrong with getting another dog for your existing dog? I've noticed this is frowned upon by the some in the DOL, rescue and breeder community.

As long as people have the means to look after 2 dogs and provide them with appropriate care, I don't see a problem?

For many people who work full time, this may be a good thing for the existing dog and new dog (provided they enjoy other dogs' company).

I'm considering getting another dog next year sometime, and I'll be honest, at this stage it would be primarily as company for my dog as well as me wanting to offer a good home to a second dog. I wouldn't get another dog unless I had the time and money for 2 dogs, which is why I'm holding off until next year when I'm more settled. I'd most likely be looking for an older (4-7 year old) rescue that enjoys other dogs company and can live in a 2 dog household. I'd take both dogs to training, although my current 2 year old would be the main focus for trialling (I probably won't have time to trial 2 dogs), the other dog could participate in training and come along to trials so wouldn't be missing out on any attention.

I am also considering fostering as an alternative to getting a second dog, but I don't know how stressful that would be on my current dog and mainly, myself.

I think if you can offer a good home for a dog, I don't see why the primary reason for wanting another dog as a companion to the existing dog should be a barrier to adoption.

I think it's fine as long as you are just as comitted to giving the second dog a forfilling life as the 1st then I cant see why not. Of course it's wrong if you dont have the time or finiances for the second but if you have a good enough yard, time & can afford the 2nd dog I really can not see why it should be an issue at all. I actually dont see 2 dogs as much more work than 1 as just about anything you can do with 1 you can do with 2 & quite often it's better fun for the dog if he has a mate too.

I think it's a problem when they get a 2nd dog but give up & try & rehome it because of behavoral issues without even really trying to fix it & when asked why they dont do such n such the answer is well he was only bought as a companion for our 2nd but is just too naughty. Thats wrong but if you are committed to goiong through all the ups n downs just like with your first dog it's fine in my books anyway.

I have 4 dogs, and the latest was bought, more or less, to keep the 3rd dog happy and occupied. 2 dogs are large cattle dog size or bigger, and the 3rd is a toy poodle. I contacted NSW Animal rescue through DOL and we flew Milo up as soon as we could. He was supposed to be the OH's dog, ha, he is so mine, but he fits in well and has a ball running around and playing with the poodle. He is a Chix, so a good size for her. He actually lives to annoy the hell out of her, and she loves it. She doesnt annoy us as much now to keep her occupied, she is a mad ball chaser and he is a mad ball-runner-away-with dog, so I can throw the ball once and they will keep each other occupied for a few minutes while I get on with stuff.

Since he arrived one of the other dogs, who was never a 'play' dog (doesnt lick, doesnt retrive, doesnt do zoomies) has started playing with him and she is now so much more relaxed and less possessive about anything. The big dog tolerates him, he will play bow so Milo can lick him and bounce around him. I couldnt ask for a better addition to the family. We have now had him almost 2 years and couldnt imagine him not being around. Thanks must go to Tdierikx (oops on spelling) for taking the time to make sure Milo would fit the family.

In saying that, he has plenty of time one on one, I take him for walks or drive with just the 2 of us, as I do with all the dogs. They all get walked together, go to the vet together, and are one big happy pack. But I am top dog, and they all know it too. If they start to get stroppy, its stopped quickly, and the little dogs are able to get away from the bigger ones if required. They are all microchipped, vaccinated, heartwormed etc, as I have the resources to do so. I am actively seeking a new addition to the family at the moment as the oldest dog is getting on a bit, he's 11, and I want his replacement to learn behaviour off him. But I am particular about what we will get, so I am happy to look around for a while. I am not above getting a rescue dog, as long as know what the background is. Again, I am happy to go through the selection process.

Ultimately, we got a 'second' dog to occupy the other little dog we have, and its worked perfectly.

Edited by piperspal

I didn't get my second border collie to keep the first one company but she did stop all his destructive behavior. He was very destructive in the garden, I'm talking huge bushes and even a apple tree ripped to pieces. He was trained and walked everyday. I got Fern and no more destroyed plants. So a second dog can work to solve problems.

I got a second Birman cat to keep the first one company. It worked in that they were friends but they weren't super friendly with me anymore!

I got a border collie puppy after my first dog died probably quicker than I would have liked but my remaining dog was really fretting. So puppy was for me but also for my dog.

It would be silly to get a second dog if you really don't want one but I imagine most people here do want the second pet.

Some people buy a second dog solely as company for the first dog...BECAUSE..they don't have time for the first dog. So now they don't have time for two dogs. :(

Yes, dogs are a pack animal and most enjoy other dog company.

If you are considering getting a second dog..do it for yourself firstly.....not solely for company for dog One.

Edited by LizT