Relationship Changes With Your Dog

Pretty Miss Emma

So, I used to have beautiful Miss Emma :rainbowbridge: . From day one we were so tightly bonded and I loved her to bits and pieces, from all my dog relationships she is just super special but she really was a one of a kind dog. I got her as a 9 year old rescue and maybe that has something to do with how we bonded, plus she was my first dog.

Anyway, young munchkin Kenzie... I've had her since she was 8 weeks old and I've always loved her to bits, she's my little girl! When she was about 9 months old she went missing for a few hours which made me realise that I really loved her lots. But just of recent, as in the last few weeks, I think we've had a relationship change. And it's a good one! I've always questioned how bonded she really was to me and me to her, she has the difficult task of being my 2nd dog and having had a dog like Em that is a lot to live up to. But in the last couple of weeks I've hit this point of looking at her and just saying to myself "gee I really love my dog" and there is just no way I can see life without her. :heart: It's just a different sort of feeling to what it was. And I think she is a bit the same with me, she is more attentive to me and is managing herself better as if she is looking to please me, she's also become more cuddly (which I just like because she was often quite aloof towards me at home, but always wanted to be near me when we were out). So I think we have progressed to the next stage of our relationship! And I just love and adore her. And I'm thinking that maybe, now that she is almost 3 years old, we have actually bonded properly.

And little Hamish. Well he's becoming a bit of a teenager (he's almost 6 months old now!). So I'm figuring with him I have the bit of time of me putting up with him just seeing what he can get away with! But he's still just a delight to have around and is gorgeous. Although now having been through all of this I can see that there is still some work I want to do with him in terms of some stronger bonded. And I know that our relationsip with be going through some changes because he's a growing boy!!! :laugh:

But anyway, I'm wondering what relationship changes have you had with your dog??? Be it for good or bad. And when did you reach that point of being able to say that you had the relationship you were hoping for/happy with/wanting??

I bonded with Charlie from day dot, he is my heart dog.

I'm in love with Emmy but she bonded with Mr W first. Emmy was hard work, it wasn't until she was about 1 years old when I could sit back and really see what an awesome dog she is. She is such a sweetheart and I didn't realise that she has also bonded with me, because I always saw her as daddy's girl. I was just telling a friend today that now that I have Skeeter, how much I have falling more in love with her. She is such an amazing girl. You would never guess that she was an evil child as a puppy. Our bond is really tight now and I love that.

Skeeter is my baby. In the past few weeks, I've been noticing that he seeks me out and is trying hard to communicate with me on telling me what he wants. He is just a sweet boy and it's not hard not to fall in love with him. Skeeter is definitely becoming a mama's boy... for the short time we've been together, I'm very happy.

I bonded with my elkhound the day I saw him at the breeder's as a six week old puppy. I picked him up from the litter and he was the one. When he came home at 8 weeks, he walked in straight as if he owned the house and settled in immediately, which was quite amazing. His breeders warned us that he may not eat or whine for a day or so. But he did none of that. He played with us, had his dinner and promptly went off to sleep.

He was a real handful as a puppy, very destructive, super active. But the bond I had with him has never changed. It is as strong as ever.

With my goldy, it took a while to bond. When she came home as a puppy, I looked after her but the immediate bonding I had with my elkhound was missing. It was not until she was about six months old that we really bonded.

My Stafford boy Roger wormed his way into my heart at about 3 weeks of age. He was one of 9 puppies. He was the first puppy to find his way out of the nest and he headed straight for me and clambered into my lap. As he did this, the name Roger popped into my head. I actually don't even LIKE the name that much but I figured that that was what he wanted to name himself so it stayed. At this point, I was watching the bitches as I wanted to keep a bitch and I didn't really want a very stripey brindle but the funny coloured "khaki" (the colour of his puppy collar) kept to the front of the pack so I decided that he would stay no matter how he turned out. And I'm glad he did because he is the love of my life and is almost titled.

My American Cocker boy was always sweet and I liked him, but it was really only when he came home recently from a couple of years on the mainland with a co-owner that I actually fell in love with him. He is the sweetest, funniest, most gentle little boy and just looking at him makes me smile. I'm so glad his co-owner decided she couldn't keep him any more.

With Clover, it was some time until we bonded. Though the videos I have of training with her, we weren't really bonded. I was just going through the motions, and she was responding well. It wasn't until she was about 9 months old or so that I realised I was actually strongly bonded to her, and it just kind of snuck up on me. And I soon liked her more than my first dog that was still living with us at the time.

With Myrtle, there was always 'something about her' (she is Clover's daughter and was born here). It may have been because she was a singleton, but I don't really think that was it. I think it was more HER than her circumstances. She has been an incredibly easy puppy. Very easy to toilet train, very nice to have around the house, just a lovely well behaved girl from the get-go. I was say I was bonded to her by about 12 weeks.

Spartan was day dot - when I picked him up. I'd waited so long for this puppy the love was instant... however some of his "quirks" did make me question our relationship at times. I realise I am not as closely bonded with him as I am with James, who is my heart dog and was an angel from the beginning - he can and does no wrong (despite sometimes being annoying!). Ari was quite similar to spartan in some ways... more independant and headstrong and quite different from what I'd previously experienced with other weimaraners. I also purposefully tried to remain slightly detatched from Ari. if she didn't work out as a show dog the plan was for her to be rehomed. Our bond grew as she got older and is now quite strong - we seem to have an understanding between us rather than a deep emotional connection. Lulu (Ari's daughter) wasn't meant to stay, but the stars aligned for her and I... I think I fell in love with her when she climbed into my jean pant leg to go to sleep in the whelping box. She stayed despite the fact that she at the time wasn't as promising as some of the other puppies in terms of show potential... however as fate would have it, she's turned out to be a stunning Weim with a temperament to die for, and we share a bond which I wasn't expecting. I feel so blessed.

Lulu curled up in my jean pantleg. :love:

IMG_0263_zps5a0f5d3c.jpg

I find it interesting people feeling bonded to pups from the moment they lay eyes on them. I thought it would be that way when I got both my pups. And I definitely loved both of them from the day I got them but as I said above i've now just realised what it is to share a strong bond with Kenz. I think my bond with Hamish is a bit different but part of that is due to some of my reasoning in choosing that litter of pups.

I do like hearing the stories though!!

And now I want a puppy to fall asleep in the leg of my jeans!!!!

I've had a couple of dogs that the bond was instant, others it's taken a while and for a couple it never happened and I rehomed them.

My Whippet Sessy was love and first sight and I adore her. I have a new Whippet pup that I've become very attached to, she's a bitch of a thing that barks, bite's, wrecks things and generally causes a trail of destruction wherever she goes but I'd not swap her for anything.

I recently rehomed a dog that I had a terffic bond with, he was very attached to me, obendient etc but a friend came along and they bonded instantly. Such was their love affair that I rehomed him a few weeks back.

I find it interesting people feeling bonded to pups from the moment they lay eyes on them. I thought it would be that way when I got both my pups. And I definitely loved both of them from the day I got them but as I said above i've now just realised what it is to share a strong bond with Kenz. I think my bond with Hamish is a bit different but part of that is due to some of my reasoning in choosing that litter of pups.

I do like hearing the stories though!!

And now I want a puppy to fall asleep in the leg of my jeans!!!!

I never truly bond with mine until they are around about 6 months or so. Up until then they are "the puppy" and it is almost as if I am minding them for someone else. Until then I could probably rehome them if I had to but after that they become part of the family and are here for good. I have also had two truly special males who bonded more to me than all the others. My current BC is a close third behind the other two.

With my three it's gotten quicker and quicker!

My old boy Nova was a pain in the butt growing up and it took me awhile to really fall in love with him, he is 10 now and is just an amazing boy. The problem was we just clashed, he was stubborn as hell and really intelligent so kept pushing buttons :laugh:

My next boy I met when he was 6 weeks and I thought he was an adorable puppy, when I picked him up over the course of a week I had a closer relationship with him than I had with Nova. He is very sweet, gentle and a sook!

Lastly was Jovi, my little girl, I think I fell in love the moment her breeder sent me day old photos :love: I met her at 8 weeks and we just clicked, she is one of those heart dogs. I adore her and I like to think she feels the same and everyone does comment on how attached/focused she is on me.

I can love any dog.

Not every dog makes a connection with me ...

I agree. I can LIKE most dogs, but don't love them all.

Another agree. Although there are some I don't really like sometimes, but I see a lot of different dogs on a regular basis. Most times I can appreciate them for who they are and am able to say that I can see them in a nice home, but that's how I knew Emma was for me when I saw her because she was the first dog I'd ever seen where I immediately thought that she HAD to come home with me!!! And the bond was instant with her. I have to say though there is something special also about working to get that bond with your dog, it's different but I guess it's just sharing a different story with your dog!!

My last dog Hank was the most noble of dogs but when we went to the shelter he didn't appeal to me at all. My husband picked him we bought him home. The next morning early I went to the kitchen, he was right there waiting and off we went for our first walk, he was huge and I was slightly nervous but by the time we got home I knew he was my dog. Jake was different, I saw him on dol , I was conflicted because I wasn't sure we were ready for another dog and he had personality issues. Again hubby liked his photo so off I went to go look. The whole way to the pound I was regretting making the call and promising myself if he was aggresive I wouldn't take him and wouldn't think of getting another dog. When I walked into the pound I looked straight at him, I didn't even register any other dog there. He came to the wire and I pretty much knew he was coming home. It's a completely different relationship, Hank was a great, noble,gentle giant who always looked out for me. Jakes a troubled, fearful little guy who needs me to look out for him. I couldn't get to more different dogs.

Kuga was 8 weeks old and the bond took a mere 15 minutes or so. I couldn't bear the idea of him not coming home with me. Adored him to pieces his whole life. I thought he was my one and only heart dog. :love::rainbowbridge:

Ella seemed to be more of a daddy's girl, then we split and she stayed with me.

I fell in love with and kept a foster puppy, Ebony (3 seconds to break my 'no fostering with Ella' rule, 3 days to love, 3 weeks to maximum bond!) Rescue group called and said they had someone who wanted to meet her and I replied "Sorry, she's staying!" A year later the girls became deadly enemies :( and I rehomed the foster Ebony whom I adored rather than Ella, out of a sense of duty (Ella was here first). At the time the thought briefly crossed my mind that if Ella was PTS (she's not really rehomable) I could keep Ebony, but I couldn't bring myself to do it so had to give up Ebs which nearly broke my heart.

Since Kuga passed away early last year Ella and I have bonded immensely and I'd say the dog she is NOW is my heart dog as much as Kuga ever was, which surprised me when I realised it earlier this year. Only took her 10 years to do it, and she can still be an absolute ratbag! Toys are destroyed in 30 seconds, she's not always trustworthy with other dogs, she still has ADHD moments, and is an incessant barker when she's excited, regardless of the anti bark collar and every other trick in the book. She drives me bonkers at times but she and I are completely bonded. Her loyalties shifted from ex to me very gradually but she has been 'mine' for a number of years and that strengthened when we both lost our beloved Kuges.

Rolfie - what can I say, I've been wanting a dane for about 5 years and he's a darling! The bond is still growing though, as we get to know and trust each other. :)