Relocating To Uk.

mgardner89

My family moved from UK to Australia and our Corgi came with us. I can't remember the dog being traumatized at all and had no change in personality. Can't remember him being bothered by the change in weather either.

He was in quarantine for a fair time too.

Edited by JulesP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I transported my cats from Europe to Australia when I moved here, and they didn't travel on the same plane. There are set routes for transporting animals, I think it's via Frankfurt and Singapore, and because they have to leave at least 4 hours before loading them on the next flight, there is a wait in Singapore. When you go from Europe to Australia, the wait in Singapore is about 28 hours because the connecting flight leaves Singapore less than 4 hours after the flight from Europe arrives.

So unless you're connecting through the same airport and spending the same amount of time there to get on the same flight as your animals, you will be on a different flight. It's not like domestic flights, with international flights there are lots of rules for transport animals because of the quarantine laws of various countries.

Are you sure you would want to stay in UK?

Hubby made plans to move over there with his cat a few years ago (before I met him), but because of the quarantine thing he decided against it. Then the cat died and he went over for 6 months, or that was the plan, but after 3 months he was so miserable he decided to come home. It's a different culture, people aren't as friendly as here, they whinge a lot, the weather is miserable a lot of the time, and even though he had friends and family over there he was so miserable he ended up not even wanting to leave his flat most of the time.

having spent the fisrt 22 years of my life in the UK, I'd say you were wrong on all counts there.

Maybe it differs between different areas of the UK and who you meet? I've been to UK at least 10 times (I've lost count) and I find the people really miserable.

Edited by fuzzy82

1348970485[/url]' post='5971413']

I transported my cats from Europe to Australia when I moved here, and they didn't travel on the same plane. There are set routes for transporting animals, I think it's via Frankfurt and Singapore, and because they have to leave at least 4 hours before loading them on the next flight, there is a wait in Singapore. When you go from Europe to Australia, the wait in Singapore is about 28 hours because the connecting flight leaves Singapore less than 4 hours after the flight from Europe arrives.

So unless you're connecting through the same airport and spending the same amount of time there to get on the same flight as your animals, you will be on a different flight. It's not like domestic flights, with international flights there are lots of rules for transport animals because of the quarantine laws of various countries.

1348924655[/url]' post='5971223']
1348829788[/url]' post='5970218']

Hubby made plans to move over there with his cat a few years ago (before I met him), but because of the quarantine thing he decided against it. Then the cat died and he went over for 6 months, or that was the plan, but after 3 months he was so miserable he decided to come home. It's a different culture, people aren't as friendly as here, they whinge a lot, the weather is miserable a lot of the time, and even though he had friends and family over there he was so miserable he ended up not even wanting to leave his flat most of the time.

having spent the fisrt 22 years of my life in the UK, I'd say you were wrong on all counts there.

Maybe it differs between different areas of the UK and who you meet? I've been to UK at least 10 times (I've lost count) and I find the people really miserable.

Maybe you need to widen your range of people.

I have been considering (in the distant future...not anytime soon) an extended holiday to the UK. Like maybe 8-10 weeks. I can't imagine going without my dog as we love walking and would plan to do heaps. Wouldn't feel the same without my dog beside me. So just wondering, what is the quarantine when coming back to Aus? And is it true there is only one quarantine centre in Aus (melbourne)?

Currently quarantine coming back to Australia from the uk is 30 days. It may be changing in the near future to only 2 weeks which would be great. I believe there is a quarantine center at badgerys creek, sydney where dogs, cats and horses are kept(the same one that EI broke out from).

We moved our dog to the UK and back to Australia with us only a few years ago. she was never really crate trained but coped very well on the flights and coped fine with the 30 days in quarantine in australia. She was returned to us happy and healthier (she has lost some weight) than before when we picked her up.

The pick up in the UK was even easier, she was on the same flight as us, we organised for an external agency to pick her up from the airport and drop her at our new house. she arrived home about an hour after we did and was very happy to see us. she didn't seem traumatised at all.

I have been considering (in the distant future...not anytime soon) an extended holiday to the UK. Like maybe 8-10 weeks. I can't imagine going without my dog as we love walking and would plan to do heaps. Wouldn't feel the same without my dog beside me. So just wondering, what is the quarantine when coming back to Aus? And is it true there is only one quarantine centre in Aus (melbourne)?

It would cost more to take the dog than your holiday ,very expense exercise for such a short time.

30 days is minimum providing all aspects have been meet & you also have to meet the i think 9 months period prior to leaving to fly out on a pet passport

Fuzzy i now plenty of dogs that come out on the same flights from the UK which the OP is referring to ,Europe is a different kettle of fish but even then it can be done

As for whinging Poms i think you have out done that in your on posts :rofl:

+2.

And as a whinging, miserable Pom, I'll be writing a stern letter to someone about you lazy, drunken, kangaroo-riding convicts.

+2.

And as a whinging, miserable Pom, I'll be writing a stern letter to someone about you lazy, drunken, kangaroo-riding convicts.

I think lazy is a bit harsh :laugh:

+2.

I think lazy is a bit harsh :laugh:

Yeh, it was us convicts that built this place, with our kangaroos and beer, complaining all the way!

we brought our jack russel cross out with us in the 80's. (I wouldn't have come without him) he was 5 years old . The only sign that we ever saw different was that the sound of thunder scared him ,where as before we came it had never bothered him.we were lucky to have him till he was 17. hope this helps :)

Guest donatella

+2.

You miserable sods are scratching the doors down in the thousands to get over here amongst us lazy drunken kangaroo riding bastards.

You miserable sods are scratching the doors down in the thousands to get over here amongst us lazy drunken kangaroo riding bastards.

queen-elizabeth-thumb.jpg

:rofl: Love it PB, I do hope you know it's just tounge in cheek for me?

Edited by stans mum