Watermark Opinions Please

Kirislin

It might interest you to know that some of the most successful photographers don't watermark (possibly because everything is paid for by clients upfront).

Jonas Peterson

Sue Bryce

Dan O'Day

Tim Coulson

Matt and Katie

I could go on...

I've been considering dropping it myself (except from client galleries). But I do like how if someone sees an image somewhere, it can always be traced back to me (for eg Pinterest).

Edited by huga

My only tip is if you put it across the face don't put it too heavy, I bought an agility photo recently and when it arrived the face was out of focus but I couldn't tell because the watermark was so heavy across the face in the gallery!

It might interest you to know that some of the most successful photographers don't watermark (possibly because everything is paid for by clients upfront).

Jonas Peterson

Sue Bryce

Dan O'Day

Tim Coulson

Matt and Katie

I could go on...

I've been considering dropping it myself (except from client galleries). But I do like how if someone sees an image somewhere, it can always be traced back to me (for eg Pinterest).

:laugh: Well, I certainly cannot put myself in their class.

My only tip is if you put it across the face don't put it too heavy, I bought an agility photo recently and when it arrived the face was out of focus but I couldn't tell because the watermark was so heavy across the face in the gallery!

Yep, this is my concern, that they can clearly see what they would be buying.

I don't like watermarks on images, and it doesn't stop people who REALLY want to steal them. I would display smaller file sizes instead, and disable right click on the image. They can still steal them, but with the small file size, they can't use them for anything.

No, I disabled right clicking on my blog, so they cannot be saved.

If I left click and drag your photo to the URL bar I can save it.

Or view the source code to get the direct url of the image.

There is no foolproof way to stop people stealing images, unfortunatly.

Edited by minimax

No, I disabled right clicking on my blog, so they cannot be saved.

If I left click and drag your photo to the URL bar I can save it.

Or view the source code to get the direct url of the image.

There is no foolproof way to stop people stealing images, unfortunatly.

Ok, I know they can still be taken - I should have said disabled right clicking so they can't be saved that way. Just taking steps to make it more difficult. Most people right click. And it kind of proves my point, if people want to take them, they will - watermark or not.

Edited by huga

Sometimes I think people don't think there is anything wrong with just taking them. In my case someone on my Facebook didn't tag herself in the photo, they just appeared on her page with her captions, to me this is not acceptable but to other they may thnk it's ok. Not sure how she took them maybe by just saving the photo and uploading to her page?

My watermark was still on the photo but so faint in the bottom right hand corner so could hardly be seen unless you were really looking for it, so I guess it's no biggy really and she probly did it not realising its not really the done thing. I've made my watermark a lot more noticeable now.

I'd like to understand, if people are willing for you to take their photo and their dogs photo (for example I have their permission) the photo still belongs to me right? If the person who is or who's dog is in the photos wants a copy can I ask them for money if they want a copy?

Sorry for the railroad Kirislin I can start another thread, just thought this kind of runs on with the original theme and I'm curious to how it all works.

I know people take photos at dog shows and then charge for the pictures so I'm thinking its the same thing?

Ok Cool, hopefully someone can answer the questions, I know there was a thread a while ago relating to people taking pics of kids and the legalities but I think this is kind of different.

TLC and any others, be aware too that having your watermark right down in the bottom corner on FB, when viewed often the black bar comes up (on certain viewers), hence covering the watermark. I've found that with yours TLC. It used to happen with mine, then I raised it a little so it is 10mm from the bottom so the FB view bar doesn't block it.

Kirislin I like your waterrmark, and agree to make sure the words are clearly visible, especially your email address.

Yes I had noticed that particularly when they got taken by someone because on her page the black bar down the bottom was covering it and even when the black bar goes away you could only faintly see it. So I have made it bigger now, maybe it will be a bit of a deterrent.

Heres the new one, maybe need to make it slightly more solid.

file-3.jpg

I like the second lot of watermarks you posted Kirislin although think maybe something a bit brighter rather than so dark might look better. It's a great logo and I just LOVE your business name!! :thumbsup:

aah thanks, I'm glad someone gets it, most people go huh?