Standing At The Freakin Bridge

RnB

After visiting the vet for an impartial and objective view....and health check up.

He has advised me that 12 yr old George is in pain with spondalitis, calcification between vertabrae effect nerves and thus his back legs often `go` under him.

His drinking and peeing huge amounts may involve kidneys and stress.

Hes lost 6 kgs since the last Vet visit and is 52kgs

A massive GSD x Ridgeback (throback) of a Bloodhound.

hes given me Rimadyl and advised me to make plans....return in a week

This is the same vet whos dog scared the hell outta me as it looked like a ghost...was a 18 yr old wrecked kelpie he couldnt `let go`...blind and deaf and hardly moving.

Making plans and appointments for the demise of those you love is one of the hardest yet selfless courageous acts you can do.

Ive said i have no qualms ....about doin this deed....as this majestic friend has had a wonderful long life (especially for a giant dog)...living on 120 acres in Rural bliss and yodelling with the magpies. The most loving yet protectively discerning with `good` judgement guardian soul .

While i can say I have no qualms...I have tears, many of them ...every time he looks at me. If Id had the medication to end his pain last night i think i would have quietly and without fuss.

But a time to die.....a plotted planned...time to die...YUK

Appointments made with everyone for `their` convenience

When he looks at you with those loyal devoted eyes....and wags his tail

Im sure he knows.....he sure as hell gets very alarmed when I cry

I said I had no qualms....now im checking out norwegian made baby prams to see if i can modify them so he has a set of wheels to drag his useless back end behind the rest of his `very together` mind, body and spirit....

Sitting in the garden plotting holes.....will the others attempt digging him up? Do I want a stranger to take his huge loyal body somewhere strange and cremate...as is advised as he is so big?

I know hes had a great `innings`, moreso than most dogs....

But I know Im gonna cry a River under that freakin Rainbow Bridge

Before we walk across it....

As I dont want to upset my dear longtime friend.....

Looks like another Golden Elm will be planted

Everydays a bonus and I cant let on Im sad as it distresses him so....

Having the courage to find a time to die...is sick making

But have also been told its a privelege?

Some go withoiut any knowledge...far too soon and with haphazard arrangements...regretted afterwards

Sorry to ramble....not real impressed

And tryin to hide anything from dogs is near impossible (specially oldies)

Off to not look him in the eyes....cos we intimately know

Glimmer of hope that a week of prescribed management and blood test results re kidneys show a miracle

But reckon hes telling me hes doin it tough

Staring at him as I see his metamorphis into a Golden Elm

Making him feel its ok to go now....and yet he still perks up over pork treats, and is very concerned that any of the other dogs are getting them.

I`ll have resilience as long as he has.....like many I pray hed go in his sleep

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: dear RNB, we too have a small forest in the making, once where our hearthounds, rescues, and our loved ones. Some went quickly, no time to think - only to have suffering relieved. Others were the same as your beautiful boy, too much time to think - but not enough time to spend with them. Be brave, he has told you its time, give him to the earth and a golden Elm.

hold him at the end, and know how much love you've shared.

sometimes I wish they would pass in thier sleep when at the end of their life, its so hard to plan that last trip.

thanks for sharing your feelings, its okay to ramble.

hugs to you

fifi, danny & hounds

Our thoughts are with you in these hard times. Their eyes are the hardest and I really dont know what else to write only that I wish we were all closer so we could be around one another. You are with us in thoughts and sending you lots of very warm cuddles.

Had a similar situation with our 15 yr old sheltie. Same type of problem, same 'going' in the back legs (& not always able to get up again if no one nearby). Real fear on her face for the first time in her happy life.

Decision made....so hard for us, but so right for her.

We save our pets from misery, fear & pain with no end...& we pay an awful emotional price to do so. But that's real love. Thinking of you.

Our 15 yr old ACD went from being wonderful to paralysised in the back end over night. Rushed her to the vet who tried cortisone after xraying her spine (very similar problems to your boy - vet could not understand how she had been so sound to date) by 11 that night she was trotting around the yard again with little signs of problems. She was then put on Rimadyl (which I am not a great fan of in younger dogs on a continuing basis - but works wonders for oldies as the potential side effects are outweighed by the gains in these cases IMO) and we had her for another very special 6 mths. We understand what you are going through and send lots of support your way - be strong for your special boy. Jo

RnB, not a rample but a passionate articulation of what we have to endure in our love of those that don't live as long as us. It is very hard, I went through it with my 17 year old just before xmas. You'll know in your heart when, and you are not letting your friend down, you are releasing from pain, so try to look into those eyes, and give lots of cuddles. :mad to you.

I feel for you, i had the same thing with my Chloe, mind you putting it off was the worst thing i could have done, I spent the whole weekend fretting about it, in hindsight I should have done it there and then. Instead i had the most shitfull weekend knowing that it was getting closer, I would never do that again, thinking I was giving her a great time, doesn't happen like that.

They sense that something is up.

We planted a rose named " Remember Me " on her grave, it was breed by Cocker of Scotland, very apt I thought.

My thoughts are with you at this time, & my heart aches for what you are going through

Bugger, Sue :laugh:

I don't think I have the necessary word skills to help you here :mad .

Your dog will tell you when it is time to go, and I think that releasing them from suffering is our last act of devotion to them. Only you and him know when it's time. Dogs don't live long enough, and humans live too long :rofl:

Peter D

:mad Sue--thinking of you in this hard hard time--

:laugh:

I have lost a 17 yr old, PTS way and Ive lost my man. :rofl:

The pain seems the same -for a shorter duration-lots of folk just don't understand we LOVE our dogs and they've loved back and this is the basis for another type of devotion that is special.

Even tho the current dogs love me too I still recall old Shan--17 yr old Toy Poodle and from my viewpoint some 8 yrs later, I can say a lump still comes, but I see him as the agile strong (large TP) ball retriever he epitomised for so many years, jumping in the car w his dad to go get Sat am paper down town--, even with barks and rushes back and forth to the door,our calendar reading kiddo was telling dad "Hey!it is Sat come on"!!

My lasting deep pang is of regret I let him live a bit too long, but he knew I was the one hugging him and whispering through tears,as I did years later with Bob, "I love you ,bye for now but I'll see you one day soon"--as he slipped away

I'm not helping its your gut decision really--

Not much help, but will pray for you dear friend and the beloved one! :rofl:

Guest scouser

This time last year I was in your position - I know I did the right thing for her but it is very hard on us. Not a day goes by when I don't think about Amber - sometims in the night I hear her claws clicking on the kitchen floor and sometimes I see her sleeping in her favourite spot in the garden. When you love them they never leave.

Thanks so much for the understanding...so nice to be understood...rather than criticised or laughed at saying its only a dog (Yes such people still exist)!

Im going to take him for a second opinion. Hes actually doing very well.

He has stopped drinking as much (now the weathers cooled). And He has an ear infection....which has driven him crazy as he cant use his back legs to scratch and this has put him off balance, as well.

Im unsure what he would be like, when the dose of Rimadyl is lowered.

Im wondering and hoping that its this ear infection that has caused him to be so distressed....and off balance. Spose the week with Rimadyland Surolan drops for ears will tell? I just think that he looks too good to end it now...and I know how much ear infections hurt. Hes 100% to what he was, happy and eating and not heaving and drinking heaps....

Time will tell and I hope we can buy some more time....painfree.

I think I know George more than anyone, and this Vet has been wrong b4...treating a thyroid disorder as a skin allergy :laugh:

Hes on 2x100mg a day of Rimadyl spose we are all just waiting to see the effects after 3 days when the dose is halved.

Going for second opinion to another Vet as...I`d like to have him sedated and his ears flushed...Im not sure there isnt something in there? He wont let anyone near it and growled at the vet ...and actually bites the bottle of Surolan Suspension...a sign that he is in a great deal of pain and being protective...as in his 12 years has never shown any human aggression and is somewhat passe with other dogs.

All in all playin it by ear...... :mad One day at a time

Just tryin to make sure I know whats going on because he looks like a different dog...one far too healthy and happy....to PTS?