Standing At The Freakin Bridge

RnB

I think you know your own dog better than anyone. With Amy, even though it hurt like blazes (and still does), I knew it was time. I would not have done her any favours by asking her to stay with me for longer.

If George has a good quality of life, and any problems that might be currently distressing him are able to be sorted, then I don't see any reason why he can't go on enjoying life.

I think vets too often see dogs being kept going for the owner and not for the dog. Also, if George is anything like my dogs, they are not exactly at their brightest and happiest when in the vet, so the vet doesn't get the whole picture.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RnB, my heart breaks for you and you articulated your thoughts so very well....I think we all have thought this as well. Same thing happened to my old boy Libby, he 15.5 years old when pts. We also had him on Rimadyl for the last 5 months of his life, that 5 months he was better. Hang in there and go for a second opinion, no one knows your beloved boy like you do.

Hi RnB, I'm in a similar situation with anxiety about my 15 year old labrador retriever. He is loosing it daily and I don't know what is kind anymore. I have been treating him and taking him to all of his favourite places. He has been enjoying this and his spirit is as it has always been but his body cannot keep up with it. From once an olympic swimmer in the Maribyrnong he was a confused, doddy old boy wading in the mud of a nearby duck-pond (which I know I should not have let him go to but given the situation I felt "Maya, you can do anything you want and as your keeper I'll pay the consequences [with the council] if there are any"). He was not game to go in but he was remembering his passion for water . I really do not know what else to say except I understand something close to how you might feel. It is such a delicate issue and my first experience of having had and loved, been loved by, a dog for all of it's life. I wish he could talk. He is in so much pain I feel. An old friend of mine who seems to have a gift with handling dogs said it is time to have him PTS. She said dogs are stoic. I had to be reminded what that meant. They will push on through pain, they will push on through anything. I don't know what to do either. He will die soon, that is for sure. The issue for me is now when, what is now being kind to him? and how am I going to deal with the grief?

RnB, I think you are doing the right thing getting a second opinion. About five months ago friends of ours who have a 14 year old cocker that we bred told us that it looked like it was finally time to have Jessie put to sleep. She has been blind for about three years, and almost deaf, but had still been a very happy dog up until this point. Overnight she had become disorientated, wobbly on her feet, and was having to be carried out to the toilet. The vet had diagnosed a stroke and said it would be kinder for Jessie if she was PTS. They took her home to make their decision. They were finding it really hard to let her go, and I could understand their agony. She is a lovely old girl, the last of her litter to survive.

They decided to take her back to the vet and ask some more questions. It was a different vet on duty, and after looking at Jessie he said he did not believe she had had a stroke, but thought she had a chronic ear infection which had become severe. This was treated with antibiotics, and within 24 hours Jessie was much improved and able to walk again by herself. They still have her 5 months later and she is doing very well! :rolleyes:

Fourteen is old for a cocker spaniel, but whilst ever she is happy and eating well then she will have a very special place in their home, and they won't have to make that painful and final goodbye.

I hope you get similar happy news about your old boy George! :(

Guest wiser

To release a dog from pain due to terminal illness is the ultimate act of love. It is the final act of kindess we show our dogs.

I would not keep a loved dog alive for my own selfish reasons. How you are going to deal with the grief of losing a loved dog should never be a reason to keep a dog alive and in pain.

RnB

I took our old 14 year old Silky to the vet Monday. He hadnt eaten for 3 days was very lethargic and looked terrible. He is nearly blind and is deaf. I was ready for the vet to say its his time :)

But he took his temp and said it was high. He thought maybe he had some sort of infection. Blood was taken and he was put on Rimadyl and anti biotics. Well 2 days later he is like a different dog. He is eating again and runnning around. The blood came back and he had an infection.

A second opinion is a good idea. I hope George is here with you for a while longer

George has made a miraculous recovery after Surolan for chronic ear infection...

Feel guilty for putting him in the Rainbow section :laugh:

But after 3 nights last week sittin outside at 3am in the morn with a hot tired in pain friend...I thought it was the last goodbye

Today he is leaping around.....truly, leaping :)

On Sat I could have PTS as the vet said...great pain, off food and loss of balance

Well the only food he doesnt touch is bones (ever tried chewin with an ear ache)?

hes not drinking excessively because he has treatment for a small condition that has great pain and the temp isnt 30 plus..and he is carrying his huge family carefully ...not off balance due to ear infection....

I agree with you `wiser`....and the kids put it more succinctly than you .....they didnt want the King they love and respect with great dignity ...to continue in pain and eventually look like he belonged in the waiting room of `Beetlejuice`.

I can seperate the selfishness and can wish my friend off...pain free when I dont think he enjoys the finer things in life.

But whilst he still commands respect in the Valley and commands respect and guards his pork treat stash....Long live the King :rofl:

For his 12th B`Day yesterday the Ol Bastard got a Muzzle...so I can administer the much needed drops without him eating the bottle :)

Theo the young Ridge hates being seperated from him.....hence my car seats were chewed to smithereens whilst we were in the Vets :laugh: for 40 minutes

:)

Im not being cruel...Im just blown away that something so simple can be misdiagnosed so easily as a pre existing condition UNLESS you know your own dog very well after 12 yrs and he exhibits behaviours never b4 seen? Thats why I thought it was a time to die for him?

Im glad, hes glad and we all feel guilty... for planning what we can do with the extra room, b4 he was even gone!

But Ive taken him round to all family, friends and work mates....for them to see the difference today and yesterday....compared to last week.

They agree.......hes still got time, and `personal`quality of life

And cant believe the difference

• 3 weeks later...

Feel guilty about posting him here LB

But at the time that particular Sat , that particular Vet was ready to PTS?

So glad I didnt altho hes a stubborn ol bastard who`ll be around quite a bit longer I think! Strange....my other dog, George and I all have earaches/infections? All the right ear....gee they make you feel crook, like sea sickness!

Looks like I couldnt replace ol George with Cordys Pony ....George wont go :rolleyes:

All that BARF and rain water....King of the Jungle Ol Bastard George

He really is magnificent....and does not look his age....

Hopin to get pics posted one day

I've just read your post and its the 29th of April. I hope for everyone's sake he's okay. 5 months ago today I lost my little girl, mini schnauzer, Boo. Her legs had a little stumble so I took her to my vet. Said it was back pain and prescribed her rymadyl. 14 days later she was dead on 29 November. She DID NOT have back pain. She had a hemolytic anemia. Rymadyl exacerbates the problem. Hemolytic anemias cause kidney failure, hence the weeing and annorexia. hence the weight loss. have a blood test immediately - it is treatable but vets aren't looking for it. Its a hrorible thing to get. 12 days later I lost her mum, same disease, but the vets didn't believe she had a problem. My only advice to all mums and dads is to get a second opinion. The pain of loss does not get any better and today, 5 months after Boo died and 20 weeks after Hans, I am more sad and lonely than the day they died. I wasn't with Boo when she died in hospital. That is probably the worse thing. I was able to be there with Hans. I can't get to the happy memories because the horrible memories prevail. I have two boxes of ashes.

Sorry for your loss Hansky....I did give Rimadyl sparingly

I have read about the pros and cons of its use.

And I know the value of a second opinion...or sticking with a vet you trust, thanks for your post. Hope time takes away some of the pain...and you can remember the good times

Kind regards

Sue

Thanks Sue

I've been looking for a forum where people actually care about "dogs". Mine were my children. My friends and my husband think thats cute but they don't understand what it means to me and what it meant to Hans and Boo. (These are only their nick names becasue five vets from the hospital are now under investigation for "misconduct" read for that negligence, so I want to keep anonymous from them at this stage - hopefully in the next few months I can post their photo so everyone can see how beautiful they are). I am ready to talk now to anyone who has lost their baby or who may face the terrible decision. I agree with an earlier post that the decision should never be based on selfishness - we are only here to give the best to our best friends. And sometimes we fail as I did.

I have two new babes - Clover and Alice, sucessors to Hansky and Boo, who give me reason to live. Oh and of course - a new vet! And I have learned a lot.

regards

Hansky Mum