Where Do You Get Playpens From?

Niki8

I second the wire Compost bins from Bunnings. 4 pannels for around $25 (I bought 8 pannels) and some zipties to fix them together.

Reggie has only just figured out she can jump out at 4 months. But she now has limited access to the house so I don't use it as much anyway.

I also bought another set to fence off a small garden bed that has anoyingly sticky seeds (long hair) and Reggie's had no interest in scaling that one so far :)

yep and you can put them in the boot when your going out with the pup as well.

on the ends makes them taller or extra panels added for a roof for the climbers. I use the $1 cheapie boat type clips from super cheap auto to clip em together although the stronger ones last forever .

Edited by asal

The possibility of climbers and added stability is why I suggest adding some of the Bunnings panels to the top of the pen as a "lid". As for strength, I have Staffordshire Bull Terriers and have had the same Bunnings compost cages now for some 3 plus years so they aren't flimsy by any stretch of the imagination.

I also have a baby gate dividing the house into dog "go" and "no go" areas (ie, out of the kitty litter in the bathroom and away from the wicker baskets that I brought home from my parent's home that their two dogs had apparently watered). Bought it from Target, under $50 as compared to the Bunnings and K & D ones which were in excess of $50 each and then you had to purchase extensions if the area was any wider than about 70cm. The Target one extends to about 102cm (my hall doorway is 89cm so I only had to use one of the extension pieces).

I do recommend pens highly for when you cannot directly supervise, but they don't actually teach the puppy any real lessons. For this you need to give the puppy free rein so it can be taught what not to do, allowed to do the naughty stuff but be re-educated with the good stuff at the same time. If you know what I mean.

Thanks for your suggestions guys :) It does makes sense what you have written and am more than happy to do it as you suggest...playing with the pup outside the playpen and confine it only when I cannot be around, just for a short period of time...

Yep, minimax and ellz, that sounds right how to train the pup not to chew things I don't want him to...thanks :thumbsup:

I love this forums...everything has a bit more sense when there is a chance to have some discussion...it's sometimes hard when I read things in the books and I think I understand what they mean but then when someone asks questions to a specific case, then it just doesn't work...

Thank you all again :thumbsup:

that sounds right how to train the pup not to chew things I don't want him to...thanks :thumbsup:

The other thing is to make it clear. For example, don't allow your puppy to chew an old Dunlop Volley and then complain when he decides to chew your Manolo's. He doesn't know the difference......

that sounds right how to train the pup not to chew things I don't want him to...thanks :thumbsup:

The other thing is to make it clear. For example, don't allow your puppy to chew an old Dunlop Volley and then complain when he decides to chew your Manolo's. He doesn't know the difference......

Yep :) Thanks ellz!

My personal thoughts is that a pen or crate is for when you're not around to pay.attention like at work or cooking dinner. There's no reason you can't have the pup out of the pen when you are home to play with them and teach them manners.

My set up at home when needed is a large crate with a veranda of the bunnings compost panels attached to the crate itself.

Hi

I purchased 2 X102cm high 8 panel each 60cm wide, heavy duty zinc alloy coated and painted black which were all interconnected and completely folded up to fit into a small sedan boot, One panel has a door to allow dog to be let out or in etc. They came with steel pegs to secure into ground outdoors, the 2 together fit completely around walls of my gazebo when at shows or camping etc. Have also used as stair blocking for grandkids, around a cabin verandah when travelling to keep dogs enclosed, attached with bungy cords. they can be used in various configurations from square, rectangular, round octaganol etc, and stretched out flat for fencing with 'posts' to keep upright. I also purchased a purpose made mesh shade soft roof.

Obtained from www.crazysales.com.au

When I purchased they were around $55 each, if you look on ebay they may have some 'used' which are cheaper.

Thanks for your suggestions guys :) It does makes sense what you have written and am more than happy to do it as you suggest...playing with the pup outside the playpen and confine it only when I cannot be around, just for a short period of time...

Yep that's the best way. When Kirah was a puppy I set up the playpen in the garage as she's an outside dog. When supervised she was outside running around and playing with Zeus. When not supervised and sleeping she was inside the pen.

The pen was quiet time not play time.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't be happier with my pen from VeboPets - it's strong, sturdy, withstands a crazy leaping shiba when she spies us coming home, doesn't move around the room, isn't too nasty on the eyes (not ideal having a giant cage in your living room but could be worse), and has a roof that can be opened easily as well as a door that's easy to use and very safe.

It was delivered within 48 hours from Sydney and for what it is, was a very good price.

We were thinking of so many different ideas for play pens to try and save money, customise it, etc etc but ended up going with this because we were desperate and time became an issue (pup absolutely couldn't cope being alone outside and we had to go back to work after getting her) so we loved how easy it was. Just unfolded it and it was set up!

The Bunnings compost panels can be turned on their side to make a higher pen. Join as many as you want with plastic garden ties & tie/anchor one panel to a table leg, piece of furniture or something to make it more stable. Sometimes I lean it against the back of the sofa but mine is only used for tiny toy pups at a young age. I don't pen at a few months.

If a dog is determined to get out you will need something so heavy & bulky you won't want it inside.

And to clarify, one of these is suitable for long term confinement? Enough room for crate, toilet, water bowl and toys? Or should I really get 2? For a beagle puppy for a few months while I'm not home.

I'd be putting the puppy outside if you are not going to be home for any length of time. I'd start with that right from day one. Alone time outside is a very important thing to learn IMO.

And to clarify, one of these is suitable for long term confinement? Enough room for crate, toilet, water bowl and toys? Or should I really get 2? For a beagle puppy for a few months while I'm not home.

They really aren't that big, and there are better solutions for long term confinement (puppy gates blocking off rooms etc I'd your outside isn't suitable )

The compost gates are really light, even my pugs can knock them over.

I have found that for bigger puppies and for indoor use, the wire compost pens from Bunnings are excellent. They aren't expensive either. I purchased two, used a couple of extra panels to make the pen larger and the remaining panels were cable tied as "lids" which also helped them to keep their size, shape and strength.

my lab puppy just pushed his compost pen around the kitchen - rather like a hamster in a wheel :laugh:

Guest Labradork

I have found that for bigger puppies and for indoor use, the wire compost pens from Bunnings are excellent. They aren't expensive either. I purchased two, used a couple of extra panels to make the pen larger and the remaining panels were cable tied as "lids" which also helped them to keep their size, shape and strength.

my lab puppy just pushed his compost pen around the kitchen - rather like a hamster in a wheel :laugh:

:rofl:

I bought a play pen from Baby Co, but returned it when I realised that wood wasn't such a good idea for a Lab puppy :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

Ah ok, we'll if I had 2 walls to stable and put something heavy in front of the open sides that might work? Just following the errorless housetraining as written in the 2 books here http://www.beagleclubqld.org/after-a-beagle/after-a-puppy/18-free-puppy-training-books read them cover to cover :rofl:

Just need something ASAP. Saw vebo ones but postage takes it over the top. Maybe I can find one in a store locally.

Thanks ^___^