Off To The Vet?

My dog had a vigorous play last night with a retriever we met on our walk. When we got back home I noticed he was limping and his front left leg is hurting. All last night he was crying when he had to move his leg during his sleep (this sound tears you apart as a dog owner :( ).

The strange thing is I have felt all over his leg and he doesn't seem sensitive to pain. I've checked his paw thoroughly and nothing is lodged there.

Maybe it's a sprain and let it go for 24 hours, or would you go to the vet?

As I type this he is lying next to me and when he raises the affected leg off the ground it trembles.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are very stoic and will try to present a picture that shows them happy and healthy because that has been selected for as a survival mechanism- even when they are not feeling all that happy.

I hope it isnt anything too serious.

He's at the vet today. Initial prognosis is maybe arthritis. He's 6 years old and fighting fit (walked twice each day) so I was shocked at this.

Was poster in the surgery saying 1 in 5 dogs of his size (or all dogs?) get arthritis.

Okay as I type this surgery has just called me saying that's what it is. He's going to need injections of something and other treatment. :(

A little shocked because I couldn't see any signs of this coming.

I'd be taking him to Schofield or Barnsley and getting one of those to look him over. If he was playing rough he may have pinched a nerve or put something out. Dogs also benefit in general from being kept in alignment as they age.

You could also try Ester-c rather than going to Cartophen injections

yes I thought it was sudden too.

There has been the odd sign of weirdness on about one in every 10 walks where he wants to stop and rest but other than that no signs of this (whatever the signs of arthritis are?). Vet thoroughly went over front left leg and found something weird there.

He is right on his perfect weight and fit as a fiddle. Everyone who looks at him thinks he is 18 months not 6 years old. :laugh:

The vet x-rayed him so I presume they know what they're talking about and I have to trust them. They're emailing me something soon.

Edited by samoyedman

I'd be taking him to Schofield or Barnsley and getting one of those to look him over. If he was playing rough he may have pinched a nerve or put something out. Dogs also benefit in general from being kept in alignment as they age.

You could also try Ester-c rather than going to Cartophen injections

who is schofield and barnsley?

Don't automatically believe what you are told if your gut says something else. When they send the info have a very good look. Vet are just people and they make mistakes and have bias just like everyone else. Arthritis isn't a sudden onset thing unless the playing aggravated something, he isn't very old and if it was that serious you would think you'd have seen signs or other joints would be affected. If it is arthritis in that one joint due to an old injury there has to be something conclusive on the xray.

Hi Jo, I know DOL tends to look at all possibilities with things like this but surely with arthritis a vet wouldn't mis-diagnose it? They took xrays and all.

He is always super-active and runs around after walks (yes zoomies around the yard at age 6 :laugh:) .

Never seen any limping or sensitivity prior to last night. So it is a little confusing.