What Treat Does Your Dog Likes The Most?

Niki8

Maybe we need another thread on the creative lengths people go to to get their animals to take their medication!

Best one I've come across is hiding it in a little ball of ice cream. It's so slippery that it slides right down as soon as you tilt their head back!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherry tomatoes, paw-paws, mulberries, bananas, passion fruit, apples - these are just a few of the things that the pups like ! Free range !

Strawberries - nup - none of them - they like eating the flowers - so no fruit !

Tablets go down a treat here with honey !

I've had many more years of giving tablets to cats than to dogs. The only way to give them to cats is to wrangle them into a full body grip, pry their mouth open and shove the tablet right down their throat. Dogs are way easy after that...

Treats wise, cheese is the favourite! (Quinn's top priorities in lfe go: cheese; little kids; other food; people in general; dogs).

The Love'em Puppy Treats are also popular. Pretty much anything will do though. Carrots are enjoyed at home, good for crunching on.

My dog asks for what ever I've got - because I've got it. But she isn't always pleased with it when she gets it.

She does not understand why I eat oranges at all. No idea why I use lemons. And gets really excited about apple and apple peel but won't eat it - unlike some other dogs I know (including a lab). She doesn't mind banana, and loves potato chips and crisps but draws the line at raw potato peel.

Goes mental for pappadums (cooked) and popcorn. Does not like raw hard pasta.

But if i put a bunch of treats out to see what she likes best - she just starts at one end of the line and eats along it till she gets to the end. Doesn't care if she eats the kibble before the roast chicken. But she does a much better figure 8 obedience style if I have a chicken or sausage lure than kibble. Otherwise she wants to greet the post people. Ie I rate the value of the treat by what distractions she can ignore when I have it.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Mrs RB, that just reminded me of Saxon once begging for Wasabi peas because that's what the humans were eating. We have him one and he tasted it, the look on his face was so funny! He kept spitting it out but eventually ate it, just because he could see we were eating them, then came back to beg for another one :)

Guest Labradork

I don't give my Lab treats... I prefer to add healthy, natural things to her diet, rather than give her supermarket bought treats. There's so much crap in them. And I would rather spend my money on good quality toys and bedding, etc.

ETA:

I've been giving her cooked chicken for training, but it falls apart too easily... I'm thinking of making some home-made treats myself, like maybe drying out some meat in the oven on a low heat. The bought treats are too expensive (and you can only get them in tiny, little bags) and they usually contain wheat.

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

:offtopic:

I hate it when vets, vet nurses, dog trainers, etc suddenly pull some crappy treat out of nowhere and feed it to my Lab without asking me. I also hate it when people go all out, fawning all over my dog (roughing her up and making her over-excited), without even bothering to talk to me.

Rant over :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

When my gorgeous boy was alive my Dad would say "that dog would eat S*&T with sugar on it". I had to call him up one afternoon, as my pooch just waited at the rear of my cat and then polished it off, and said "Dad, he will eat S*&T without sugar on it"

RIP to them both :cry:

Anywho, Labs love most things, he especially liked hot dog sausage chopped into pieces to make them last a bit longer :)

Cheese singles are much cheaper per kg than dried liver treats.

Even metwurst is cheaper.

Sometimes I use kitten kibble for treats - it can be bought for about $4/kg. Though I don't like reading the ingredient list.

Ordinary sausages or steak - is cheaper per kg and makes a great soft treat.

Or you can mix ground up meat or tinned fish into a cake or biscuit mix instead of sugar and fruit... reduce the milk or liquid until the mixture has the right consistency - and bake. But personally I've not bothered with that. It's easier to roast up a piece of beef or lamb and save bits of that.

The price of supermarket dog treats does compare well per kg with crayfish. Ie crayfish can be cheaper.

PS - to me a treat - is anything a dog will work for. Not necessarily what the supermarket sells as "dog treats". Most of what Frosty gets as training reward is her dinner kibble.

My poor dog doesn't really get a lot treats, lol. As far as I can tell, he thinks Christmas comes twice a day at breakfast and dinner and sometimes three times if he gets a treat as well :laugh: :laugh:

He'll eat anything if he thinks it's something I would eat... including lettuce leaves, carrot tops and broccoli stalks. He gets fed twice a day and gets a Dentastix most days. Licking empty yoghurt tubs or peanut butter jars clean is his idea of heaven :rofl:.

I know you get what you pay for, but they are SO expensive I can't justify them. $200 a kg, that's more than gold goes for some days :eek:

Well.... I don't need gold trinkets anymore so might as well spend it on dogs :laugh: