Unpleasant Dog Park Experience.

Blackdogs

Today I was out with my little dog enjoying the weather at the local off-leash park. She's a very friendly little Schipperke who tries to approach strangers for pats but is usually intercepted by me calling her back because I understand not all people like dogs.

Today, however, I had a bit of a lapse in judgement. As my dog was approaching a stranger from a distance I noticed he turned towards her and stopped and it seemed to me that he wanted to greet her, so I allowed her to approach. When she got close to him however, he tried to kick her so I quickly called her back. As she was returning to me he picked up some rocks and threw them at her (fortunately he was a poor aim). I quickly yelled out that she was friendly and put her on lead, but this man was very angry. He came towards me yelling that I had frightened him and said he thought he was under attack. I explained to him that I had misjudged the situation and apologised for frightening him, but he wouldn't let it go. He continued to approach me yelling about that my dog had rushed him and became increasingly threatening. I apologised again and left the park.

I felt bad about this whole thing because clearly it was my fault that I had scared him, but I felt quite shaken by this incident.

Has anyone else had unpleasant experiences with other people regarding their dogs and if so, how did you handle it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like this guys has a fear of dogs or cannot read dog body language and misinterpreted the situation, he was wrong to confront you like that but you behaved very well considering. I've had a few on leash experiences but not dog park ones.

Guest Labradork

Whaaat?! That's terrible! Schipperkes are such sweet little dogs :(

I've had a few bad experiences in dog parks...

1. Two Miniature Schnauzers who appeared from behind some bushes and flew at my dog like the rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I secretly followed their owners to their car, got their number plate and rang the council (who weren't interested).

2. The owner of an aggressive Labrador... They were both so badly behaved that everyone would leave the dog park whenever they came. His dog rushed at me and my Lab one day and I confronted him about it. He replied that it was my dog's fault for not standing up for herself :confused:

3. A couple (a man and a woman) who walked hundreds of meters into an off leash dog park to swear at me because I had my Lab off lead. My Lab and I were the only ones in the park and it was 9am :confused: The woman was so angry she had a purple face and the man had his fist raised in the air. I was so shocked I let my dog jump up on the woman, getting dirt all over her white pants LOL.

Edited by Labradork

What a moron..I am glad he missed your dog

He is lucky it wasn't me and my 27kg boofhead.. I would have thrown the rocks back at him (and I'm a pretty good shot)..

I don't really understand the rationale behind posts like this ... :o , sorry.

Blackdogs- that would have been scary - glad you kept your cool, and have a responsive little dog :)

There are so many people now who just do not have positive experiences with dogs ..and who get very defensive /reactive :(

Edited by persephone

I'm sorry but if you have an irrational fear of dogs that causes you to need to throw rocks at them as they are returning to their owner and clearly no threat to you any more (ie. It's an act of pure malice not fear, fear is if you do it when a dog runs towards you) then what the heck are you doing in a park where dogs are allowed off leash??!

What an upsetting experience. I would have perused him if he had hit my dog and made sure he was punished accordingly.

Sounds like this guys has a fear of dogs or cannot read dog body language and misinterpreted the situation, he was wrong to confront you like that but you behaved very well considering. I've had a few on leash experiences but not dog park ones.

He appeared to be Middle-Eastern. I know there are some cultural disparities regarding dogs between Western and Middle Eastern cultures, particularly black dogs, so this may have been the case here.

What are your on-leash experiences?

I'm sorry but if you have an irrational fear of dogs that causes you to need to throw rocks at them as they are returning to their owner and clearly no threat to you any more (ie. It's an act of pure malice not fear, fear is if you do it when a dog runs towards you) then what the heck are you doing in a park where dogs are allowed off leash??!

What an upsetting experience. I would have perused him if he had hit my dog and made sure he was punished accordingly.

To be fair to him there is a pathway through the park that many joggers/walkers take and it would take some time to walk around if you couldn't use this path, but I do think his reaction was disproportionate.

I'm not sure what I would have done if he actually hit my dog. Fortunately my Schipp doesn't really understand hostile reactions and thinks everyone loves her. :laugh:

Blackdogs , I can sympathise with you. I have had a few incidents at our local leash free dog beach.

One last Saturday in fact. I was wading in the water with my 2 BC's & had my gear up on the bank. This young guy, late teens, comes down with preg. GF & Mal female. No lead for the Mal,

she approaches but then takes off, all good. Then they decide to set up camp right on top of my gear on the bank, so I get out & go to move my stuff further up the beach as his dog approaches

mine I yelled nicely that my girl is reactive, could you call your dog back, just want to collect my things. Well he started to abuse me, swearing his head off. "you f ing stupid old c, you'll

be paying the vet bill" I said I was just trying to warn you mate hurrying to pick up my things & get away from him. By this stage he was yelling/swearing at me. I did ask him several times not

to yell & swear to which he replied " what the f are you going to do about it "I couldn't believe it! This guy was so angry & aggressive. He was getting in my personal space too & I was starting

to get fearful. I must say my boy was so good at that point, Sonny put himself in between me & this aggressor & just stood there, which gave me just the moment to escape. I moved right away but

the whole time he was yelling abuse at me. You can never be too careful, he could of had a weapon or anything. My girl did me proud though as she never moved from my side or made a sound even

though his Mal kept approaching us with every intention of starting something. I was astounded really by the whole situation really & left very shaken :(

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes the rock thing is disgusting. Horrible. Bad shot or not :(

I had an old bloke try & lay into Stella one day , she was 6 months old at the time with his umbrella because she jumped up on him. I saw red !!

I gave it to him verbally. I never hit my dogs & I sure as hell wasn't going to watch anyone else do it. I still see him sometimes on the beach ,he keeps

away though. Just where I want him. Why on earth is it "OK" to hit a dog :(

Edited by BC Crazy

Guest lavendergirl

He appeared to be Middle-Eastern. I know there are some cultural disparities regarding dogs between Western and Middle Eastern cultures, particularly black dogs, so this may have been the case here.

This is most likely the reason. So pleased your girl was not actually hurt. Hopefully he will move to one of those "dog free" estates popping up around the place. :)

I am sorry that this happened-it is very upsetting.

I have had a similar experience with my previous dog. The person had a psychiatric disability (I later found out). It is important to advise your local ranger that this happened so that they are aware that this situation may arise again. A different or person may react aggressively and background can help.

I am sorry that this happened-it is very upsetting.

I have had a similar experience with my previous dog. The person had a psychiatric disability (I later found out). It is important to advise your local ranger that this happened so that they are aware that this situation may arise again. A different or person may react aggressively and background can help.

There used to be a strange woman that used to walk around a huge dog park, if any dog approached her she would simply start screaming hysterically. One day - whilst holding on to my dogs - i asked her why she came if it was such a terrorising place. She said she'd been bitten on the breast as a teenager, had gotten breast cancer and felt that it was because of the dog bite. She felt that it was her right to walk where she wanted. Dogs were eventually banned apart from a couple of hours per day from that park so she was probably one of the people campaigning to have it made dog free. She definitely had some mental issues though, you could tell from talking to her ...

I've had a staffy on a flexi-leash rush my dogs, I've had a few off leash dogs rush my dogs and I've had a drunk guy grab my maremma which almost got him bitten.

What a moron..I am glad he missed your dog

He is lucky it wasn't me and my 27kg boofhead.. I would have thrown the rocks back at him (and I'm a pretty good shot)..

I don't really understand the rationale behind posts like this ... :o , sorry.

Blackdogs- that would have been scary - glad you kept your cool, and have a responsive little dog :)

There are so many people now who just do not have positive experiences with dogs ..and who get very defensive /reactive :(

I probably should have put a smilie face next to the last line.. As I really didn't mean I would actually do it!

I am not violent and wouldn't throw rocks at someone.. My boofhead and I tend to leave situations that are uncomfortable very quickly as he is afraid of lots of things.

However throwing rocks at little dogs that are running away from you (whether you have had a bad experience or not) is animal abuse...

I have never been a great dog park fan but the last time I ever visited one confirmed it for me. I had my shelties over in the far corner of the park, well away from the any other dogs and was playing ball with them. One man kept letting his large breed dog run right across the park towards them so I had to keep putting them on lead which I would have though was a clear sign I didn't want his dog running up to me. I asked him politely to stop doing that and he proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't be at a dog park if my dogs didn't want to play and then his dog lunged at my dog who slipped his lead and then proceeded to chase my poor sheltie right on to a busy main road. The worst part of it was once I managed to get my dog and was trying to walk him back across the park to the car he still let his dog come running up to mine and when I lost the plot and yelled at him he said he was going to report me. Apparently the fact that he travelled all the way across town to come to this dog park where he could have a good run and lay gave him more rights than me.