Unpleasant Dog Park Experience.

Blackdogs

Really sorry that happened to you OP :( Glad your dog wasn't hurt, at least you will know to look out for him in the future.

BC Crazy, that guy sounds like a total fruitloop! I would have reported him to the cops for threatening you! What a wonderful father he will make :mad:

Sorry HW but will have to agree to disagree with ppl's 'right' to eat a picnic in a dog park. We have an enclosed area next to an absolutely massive human only/dogs onlead park with kids play equipment, bbq's ect yet a group of ppl decided to come into the dog park and sit down on their rug smack bang in the middle of the park and spread out their food. We called our dogs away and wouldn't let them go near the food ect, but it is one hell of a good way to rile the dogs up and start a dog fight. Esp when they could of used the normal park which is literally the entire area outside the fenced off dog park.To me it is just plain rude. We don't go outside near the bbq's and let our dogs sniff the family goers food or go into their picnic space. We only have that small area so for ppl to bring in a picnic when (i personally think)they should have their food outside the dog park is just nuts.

Not wishing to start a fight, just explaining a difference of opinion :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an incident years ago, resulting in the ranger waiting for me the next day :(

I was at the offlead park with my Dally and BT, most days a lady with 2 BC's would walk through the park, its unfenced, to the oval next to it, where there are big signs saying ' no dogs", to then 'work" her dogs on it.

I was always polite ,never let my dogs near hers.

One day my two were playing ,running side by side and wrestling as they ran, they stopped right as she was walking through near her, so stopped to sniff her dogs, i called them immediatley, they came straight back and we carried on.

The next morning the ranger was at the car park waiting for me , she watched me with the dogs for a while, then came over.

Apparently the lady had reported me for having a dangerous dog, my BT.

Luckily the ranger said she could see my dogs were under control, and that there was no problem.

i was furoius, she was the one on the oval everyday, offlead. :mad

I also wanted to add, that these days you have to be so careful, a dog 'rushing" is such a hard one to argue when you know its friendly, i take no risks anymore with mine. :(

I so wanted to say something the next time i saw her, but the ranger told me in confidence who it was, wasn't hard to work out, she was the only one there the day before.

Did you report her for being in a no dog area? I would have! I dont like people who play stupid games.

Our last dog was reported for being aggressive after he was rushed by another dog and my dad told the lady to control her dog (actually I believe that she was initially no where to be seen so dad put her dog on Jacksons lead - apparently when she realised she cracked it at him).

The council came around to our place after getting several 'anonymous complaints' and after meeting the Jackson immediately dismissed it. Then after hearing my dads side, the ranger staked out the park and eventually they caught her for not having effective control over her dog.

Guest Labradork

Whaaat?! That's terrible! Schipperkes are such sweet little dogs :(

I've had a few bad experiences in dog parks...

1. Two Miniature Schnauzers who appeared from behind some bushes and flew at my dog like the rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I secretly followed their owners to their car, got their number plate and rang the council (who weren't interested).

2. The owner of an aggressive Labrador... They were both so badly behaved that everyone would leave the dog park whenever they came. His dog rushed at me and my Lab one day and I confronted him about it. He replied that it was my dog's fault for not standing up for herself :confused:

3. A couple (a man and a woman) who walked hundreds of meters into an off leash dog park to swear at me because I had my Lab off lead. My Lab and I were the only ones in the park and it was 9am :confused: The woman was so angry she had a purple face and the man had his fist raised in the air. I was so shocked I let my dog jump up on the woman, getting dirt all over her white pants LOL.

The first and last Schipperke I met bit me on the calf muscle I have a scar there for life I needed 8 stitches, All I did was give my friend a hug goodbye and it latched onto me :eek:

Ouch :eek:

Well, yeah I was generalising :laugh:

Sorry HW but will have to agree to disagree with ppl's 'right' to eat a picnic in a dog park. We have an enclosed area next to an absolutely massive human only/dogs onlead park with kids play equipment, bbq's ect yet a group of ppl decided to come into the dog park and sit down on their rug smack bang in the middle of the park and spread out their food. We called our dogs away and wouldn't let them go near the food ect, but it is one hell of a good way to rile the dogs up and start a dog fight. Esp when they could of used the normal park which is literally the entire area outside the fenced off dog park.To me it is just plain rude. We don't go outside near the bbq's and let our dogs sniff the family goers food or go into their picnic space. We only have that small area so for ppl to bring in a picnic when (i personally think)they should have their food outside the dog park is just nuts.

No apology required. However, as the law stands there is nothing I'm aware of precluding a person from having a picnic in a dog park. There are often, however, plenty of council regulations preventing dogs from entering picnic areas, playgrounds, school grounds etc. While people continue to pay rates and dogs don't, I'd not expect that situation to change.

The fact that something is ignorant, stupid or rude doesn't change the fact that folk can do it. :shrug:

No apology required. However, as the law stands there is nothing I'm aware of precluding a person from having a picnic in a dog park. There are often, however, plenty of council regulations preventing dogs from entering picnic areas, playgrounds, school grounds etc. While people continue to pay rates and dogs don't, I'd not expect that situation to change.

The fact that something is ignorant, stupid or rude doesn't change the fact that folk can do it. :shrug:

My local dog park has a cafe in it, people sit at the tables and chairs in the middle of the dog park and eat & drink - last weekend I watched one beagle come up and steal a piece of toast of a ladies plate whilst she was busy talking to her dining companion.

Everyone around saw it (the owner did call the dog and rush over, he was just wasn't fast enough) and cracked up laughing, she looked a bit bewildered and embarrased, but didn't seem to mind. She understood she was in the middle of a dog park!

I wouldn't sit on the ground and eat, but it's nice to sit and have a coffee while the dogs play.

My local dog park has a cafe in it, people sit at the tables and chairs in the middle of the dog park and eat & drink - last weekend I watched one beagle come up and steal a piece of toast of a ladies plate whilst she was busy talking to her dining companion.

Everyone around saw it (the owner did call the dog and rush over, he was just wasn't fast enough) and cracked up laughing, she looked a bit bewildered and embarrased, but didn't seem to mind. She understood she was in the middle of a dog park!

I wouldn't sit on the ground and eat, but it's nice to sit and have a coffee while the dogs play.

Haha true on both counts HW :)

Minimax - well thats what these guys did, throw their rug out on the ground and spread all their food out on it and got shitty when dogs wanted to sniff it. Its fine to bring drinks ect in, ppl do that all the time but to lay out an on the ground feast and expect the dogs not to react is a little much i feel. However this is now way :offtopic: sorry

I was a bad owner the other day too - I got yelled at by some people who were taking their DUCK out for a walk, in an on-lead area. My dogs were both on lead and my partner had one, I had the other. I dropped my toy poodle's lead for a minute while I was trying out some weird exercise equipment stuff there (I hadn't been to this place before, it was awesome - outdoor exercise equipment in the park! :thumbsup: ) and Maggie wandered a few metres away from me.

She only started walking towards the people when they started screaming at me (don't think she even noticed them or their duck before that!) to get my dog away from them etc. I was totally in the wrong and I felt really bad. But still.. it was pretty hilarious. Their duck (it was a drake, actually) was probably 3x the size of Maggie and she's scared of flying leaves so nobody was in any danger. :D

I was a bad owner the other day too - I got yelled at by some people who were taking their DUCK out for a walk, in an on-lead area. My dogs were both on lead and my partner had one, I had the other. I dropped my toy poodle's lead for a minute while I was trying out some weird exercise equipment stuff there (I hadn't been to this place before, it was awesome - outdoor exercise equipment in the park! :thumbsup: ) and Maggie wandered a few metres away from me.

She only started walking towards the people when they started screaming at me (don't think she even noticed them or their duck before that!) to get my dog away from them etc. I was totally in the wrong and I felt really bad. But still.. it was pretty hilarious. Their duck (it was a drake, actually) was probably 3x the size of Maggie and she's scared of flying leaves so nobody was in any danger. :D

That beats the rabbit I saw out walking on a leash the other day :rofl:

:laugh: Yeah my friends walk their ferrets! Actually, there used to be a girl who'd bring her duck to my dog park - that was asking for trouble. And a girl who lived up the road from me used to take her cat out on a harness too. :laugh:

I'm sorry but if you have an irrational fear of dogs that causes you to need to throw rocks at them as they are returning to their owner and clearly no threat to you any more (ie. It's an act of pure malice not fear, fear is if you do it when a dog runs towards you) then what the heck are you doing in a park where dogs are allowed off leash??!

Exercising your right to be there. If you want to have a picnic in the middle of a dog off leash area, like it or not, dog owners have to deal with it. "Off leash" doesn't equate to "no dog haters allowed".

I don't like it when loud noisy little kids run around me when I'm sitting in the park - I know that if I'm in a park I'm going to encounter noisy children, I most certainly wouldn't THROW ROCKS at them. And If my fear or dislike of children or dogs or what ever was so bad that I felt the need to throw rocks at them - throwing rocks, hitting with a stick, kicking, yelling, abusing etc.... is all just as bad as one another. If you think this is an acceptable way to deal with someone dog that's no longer a threat to you - ie. Returning to its owner... its plain old unacceptable. I'm scared of Rotties - But I know I might meet one in a dog park, but I still wouldn't throw rocks at one.

Which is pretty much the whole point of what I said - If your fear/hatred/dislike etc of dogs is SO BAD that you cant just ignore them and keep walking - that you feel you need to THROW ROCKS at them... then you shouldn't be around a place where there are dogs, If this guy was afraid of buses for example but chose to walk on a footpath next to a bus route and a bus came to close to him.. would we accept him throwing rocks at the bus? nah don't think so. It does not equate to "Dog haters not allowed" but it should equate to "people who cant control their acceptable behaviour in public" not allowed.

It wouldn't be acceptable for someone to let their fear aggressive dog off in an offlead park and have it attack someone else's dog... a human should know better.

I'm sorry but if you have an irrational fear of dogs that causes you to need to throw rocks at them as they are returning to their owner and clearly no threat to you any more (ie. It's an act of pure malice not fear, fear is if you do it when a dog runs towards you) then what the heck are you doing in a park where dogs are allowed off leash??!

Exercising your right to be there. If you want to have a picnic in the middle of a dog off leash area, like it or not, dog owners have to deal with it. "Off leash" doesn't equate to "no dog haters allowed".

I don't like it when loud noisy little kids run around me when I'm sitting in the park - I know that if I'm in a park I'm going to encounter noisy children, I most certainly wouldn't THROW ROCKS at them. And If my fear or dislike of children or dogs or what ever was so bad that I felt the need to throw rocks at them - throwing rocks, hitting with a stick, kicking, yelling, abusing etc.... is all just as bad as one another. If you think this is an acceptable way to deal with someone dog that's no longer a threat to you - ie. Returning to its owner... its plain old unacceptable. I'm scared of Rotties - But I know I might meet one in a dog park, but I still wouldn't throw rocks at one.

Which is pretty much the whole point of what I said - If your fear/hatred/dislike etc of dogs is SO BAD that you cant just ignore them and keep walking - that you feel you need to THROW ROCKS at them... then you shouldn't be around a place where there are dogs, If this guy was afraid of buses for example but chose to walk on a footpath next to a bus route and a bus came to close to him.. would we accept him throwing rocks at the bus? nah don't think so. It does not equate to "Dog haters not allowed" but it should equate to "people who cant control their acceptable behaviour in public" not allowed.

It wouldn't be acceptable for someone to let their fear aggressive dog off in an offlead park and have it attack someone else's dog... a human should know better.

Your analogies are flawed. Unless i'm psychotic, I don't expect to be attacked by children or buses. This person was simply going out his business. Yes rock throwing is unacceptable but the responsibility for preventing the triggering this kind of response lies with US as dog owners.

WE have to take the initiative to protect our dogs or we reap the consequences. I suggest the best thing to do with the OP's experience is take it as a precautionary tale, not character assassinate the rock thrower or defend our right to exercise our dogs where we like. It's pointless.

I'll repeat my first point. Those who allow their dogs to approach strangers are fools. You simply cannot predict how people wiil respond. That goes double for parents with children

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Someone brought their cat on leash to a local off leash park here - he couldn't see that this was endangering his cat!

You can't fix stupid. :(

You got that right HDW . Stupid is as stupid does.

Edited by BC Crazy