Chicken Frames

mantis

Since I moved to Vic, I have trouble buying chicken frames. Woolies & Coles no longer sell them, they said all their chicken comes already cut up. I refuse to pay $3.90 a kg for chicken necks, it's a rip off. Yesterday I went to my local butcher desperate to get them, I was so happy they sold them, only cost $1 for 3 frames. :thumbsup:

Just a heads up for anyone in the Kilsyth & surrounding areas who may be having trouble finding them. It's the butcher at Churinga SC, next door to the cake shop, don't be tempted to go in there though, you will gain weight just walking through the door. :rofl:

Edited by mantis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are chicken frames safe for a 16 week old puppy?

I was feeding chopped up marrow bones until my friend said she was FAR too young to be eating them :(

Yep, chicken bones are fine for any pup, just supervise closely the first few times to see how they eat it and if you need chunk it down a bit to start off with. They might take forever to eat them though (depending on the breed). Also depending on breed they might not need a whole frame just yet.

Edited by minimax

I was feeding chopped up marrow bones until my friend said she was FAR too young to be eating them :(

Yep, chicken bones are fine for any pup, just supervise closely the first few times to see how they eat it and if you need chunk it down a bit to start off with. They might take forever to eat them though (depending on the breed). Also depending on breed they might not need a whole frame just yet.

True, I give my girl who is 17kgs a 1/3 of a frame, my previous 45kg dog had a whole one.

Edited by mantis

Gosh I hope woolies don't stop selling them in NSW cause they are really meaty & its only 3 mins awat from home.

Minimax , Lenards are cheap, arent they? Wish we had one near us.

Yep, Lenerds are awesome! The first time I went there I had no idea how much they were as they were out the back with no signs. She said $5 and I said uh, what? I had a $20 note out ready and wasn't expecting her to say $5 :rofl:

I reckon if they didn't need to put something through the till they'd just give them away.

I get mine from Lenerds Chickens - 20 or 25 frames for $5 (they just chuck them in the bag, sometimes it's more like 30)

I get mine from Lenards too, but I pay $11 for five kilos.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is a good deal, though yours sounds WAY better!

I don't weigh mine - how many do you normally get in 5kg?

I go to Lenerds at Gladesville for mine.

Gosh I hope woolies don't stop selling them in NSW cause they are really meaty & its only 3 mins awat from home.

Yep, Lenerds are awesome! The first time I went there I had no idea how much they were as they were out the back with no signs. She said $5 and I said uh, what? I had a $20 note out ready and wasn't expecting her to say $5 :rofl:

I reckon if they didn't need to put something through the till they'd just give them away.

$5 for what quantity?

$5 for what quantity?

As said upthread - anywhere between 20 or 30 (and I ask for 20, always end up with more)

Edited by minimax

$5 for what quantity?

Sorry, I posted before I read how many.

I don't have a car, so have to use public transport & that would require me catching two buses both ways to my closest Lennards, unfortunately.

So I am glad I can get them at my local SC. Will ask my daughter if she is ever anywhere near a Lennards, to buy me 5kgs.

The ones I used to buy from the local Halal butcher in Perth, had heaps of meat on them, in winter I used to buy extra & make chicken soup. :thumbsup:

Guest Labradork

They have frames at Safeway where I live. Maybe contact the head office and ask when/if they're going to get more in at your local store?

I'm paranoid about bones and supervise my Lab eating them every time :)

Edited by Labradork

Lili was sent home from her breeder with a massive chicken thigh piece and she was only 11 weeeks :laugh: So yeah chicken bones are fine for pups!

Sometimes the bigger piece, even if a bit big, are better as they're less likely to gobble and choke. We freeze bones too as it slows them down.

We get bags of chicken frames, probably with about 5 or 6 frames for $2 at a butcher near us. Both dogs get one each and they luuuuurve them :)

True, I give my girl who is 17kgs a 1/3 of a frame, my previous 45kg dog had a whole one.

I am giving my 17 kg girl roughly the same about one third.

With frames always remember to remove the wishbone. There was a Bullmastiff puppy on here a while back who died from the wishbone piercing his intestines.

Geez dancinbcs, lucky I always chop mine up

I never knew that. Thanks for the "heads up".