Parvo-virus In Yard And Wanting Another Puppy.

conztruct

Maybe I'm wrong, and please correct me if I am but I just saw an online ad selling 6 week old cross-bred puppies that the seller says they can't afford to vaccinate, with an interested person saying that they would have to save up for vaccs and can the seller hold because they have parvo in their yard..........

Is this just a whole lot of wrong?

it's an absolutely horrible disease, some how we got it in our yard as it was rife in our country town :cry: :cry: :cry: and lost puppies including 6 out of 7 of my darling girl's litter - first litter that i had ever bred in my 50 years of dog ownership :cry: :cry: :cry: The pup that survived was so sick for so long but now is going in great strides, he took awhile to start growing and developing but is now thriving in leaps and bounds although he keeps tripping over his feet because they are way too big for him but he will grow into them :laugh:

and to think all those pups would have been fine if people had just vacinated their dogs :cry: :cry: :cry: seriously it really is not that expensive for an annual jab, just over a $1 a week!

I only learnt that parvo virus survived for many years in the soil a while ago. Just made me wonder...when shifting house how would one know whats been going on there on that particular property in the last 10 years? There's also a bird disease and poultry diseases that pose the same problems. Previous owners or occupiers aren't obligated to divulge such things, and yet it may not have been them but the previous ones before them...and so on.

I think sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Vaccinate always to be safe...but even then I think dogs can still get parvo, the vaccine is not 100% apparently.

Parvo terrifies me. And to think it's so easy to prevent by vaccinating dogs :/

Doesn't it hang around for YEARS after it's been in an area?

About 7 year in the ground. VACCINATION SHOULD BE MANDATORY!

In NSW it it mandatory by state law that all puppies have to be vaccinated, wormed and microchipped before changing hands at no less than 8 weeks. Doesn't matter if they are free or not, it still has to be done and anyone not doing it should be reported to council.

Edited by dancinbcs

I only learnt that parvo virus survived for many years in the soil a while ago. Just made me wonder...when shifting house how would one know whats been going on there on that particular property in the last 10 years? There's also a bird disease and poultry diseases that pose the same problems. Previous owners or occupiers aren't obligated to divulge such things, and yet it may not have been them but the previous ones before them...and so on.

I think sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Vaccinate always to be safe...but even then I think dogs can still get parvo, the vaccine is not 100% apparently.

Yes I've seen vaccinated dogs get it, it's not as common but it can happen.

Parvo terrifies me. And to think it's so easy to prevent by vaccinating dogs :/

Doesn't it hang around for YEARS after it's been in an area?

About 7 year in the ground. VACCINATION SHOULD BE MANDATORY!

In NSW it it mandatory by state law that all puppies have to be vaccinated, wormed and microchipped before changing hands at no less than 8 weeks. Doesn't matter if they are free or not, it still has to be done and anyone not doing it should be reported to council.

I wonder if that's the same in Qld....the only thing I could find is that dogs or cats must be microchipped but was hoping to find vaccs and wormed as well. The number of numpties I see advertising around here saying they can't afford vaccs, it's up to the new owner to take to the vet and get wormed, immunized etc is more than I would have thought.

I've actually been emailing links of the ads to our local council - I can't see them doing much about it though.