Off To The Vet Tomorrow

Well it looks like I'm off to the vet tomorrow with Jasper and I'm wondering if this could be related. I posted a couple of days ago that Jasper had a seizure after having 2 late last year. He came out of it and was back to his usual self again and which seemed like no ill effects. The vet's office suggested to bring him in for a blood test which may shed some light on what is causing the seizures, but not as a mater of urgency.

This morning, he ate his breakfast with his usual gusto and then about 30 minutes later noticed him looking hang dog. He has been eating grass today. Since then he has vomited several times, the first of course all his breakfast and then on yellow watery muck. I am hoping it is not pancreatitus, even though I am very careful not to feed my boys any fatty foods. He is not on any medication so if it is indeed pancreatitus then it is not caused by that. All in all, looking at him he doesn't seem critical otherwise he would be off to emergency. Why do these things always seem to occur out of business hours? He is not looking for food, so I'm not offering and I wouldn't anyway.

I personally wouldn't be waiting until tomorrow with a dog vomiting like that. They can go downhill very quickly. :(

I agree, a couple of chucks is one thing but if he has been vomiting all day (not sure how long he has been vomiting for? Is he still doing it?) then I would be taking him in.

My boy Jasper went into emergency yesterday, after starting up his vomiting again. They actually started smelling like poo. Just spoke to the vet and he's stopped vomiting but is in obvious pain. The bloods came back as pancreatitus but they suspect there may be a blockage as he still has a painful tummy and panting most of the night. He's off to xray soon to see if they can find anything there. When we came home yesterday after the vet visit, our young pup was looking for him and crying. Those two are inseparable. Keep us in your thoughts please.

Hello, everbody and thanks for your kind thoughts and wishes. Well, I just heard from the vet and thankfully, there is no obstruction and he was diagnosed with pancreatitus. This truly floored me because I am so vigilant with the way I feed my boys, knowing Schnauzers are not to have fatty foods. He of course is still in emergency on a drip and still needs to be closely monitored and they will attempt to feed him tonight. If he keeps that down he may be coming home late on Thursday. Fingers crossed all will go well.

TwoDoggies.

there are other causes for pancreatitis.

My 2 old dogs (mini schnauzer Zeppi, and standard schnauzer Lui, now both gone to the bridge) both had attacks of pancreatitis from anti-inflammatories (previcoxx and rimadyl). In both cases, they were on regular daily doses for arthritis. Lui ended up not being able to tolerate any anti-inflammatory at all but he was elderly. Zeppi could tolerate one day on and one day off.

Also, infection can cause pancreatitis. If Jasper ate something bad and vomited it, it could put bacteria in the wrong area internally and whammo pancreatitis or a whole range of -itises. Max (my mini in my avatar) had ascending choleohepatitis (sp?) from this which was incredibly scary.

Point being, fat content is only one part of the picture.

Fingers crossed :crossfingers: that Jasper is OK.

Pleased to hear he has no obstruction, hope he is home with you soon two doggies. Could anyone else in the household be giving him sneaky treats? I have to watch OH more closely than the dogs!

No Coogie. The only other permanent member in our household is my husband and he knows not to feed the dogs anything they shouldn't have.

TwoDoggies.

there are other causes for pancreatitis.

My 2 old dogs (mini schnauzer Zeppi, and standard schnauzer Lui, now both gone to the bridge) both had attacks of pancreatitis from anti-inflammatories (previcoxx and rimadyl). In both cases, they were on regular daily doses for arthritis. Lui ended up not being able to tolerate any anti-inflammatory at all but he was elderly. Zeppi could tolerate one day on and one day off.

Also, infection can cause pancreatitis. If Jasper ate something bad and vomited it, it could put bacteria in the wrong area internally and whammo pancreatitis or a whole range of -itises. Max (my mini in my avatar) had ascending choleohepatitis (sp?) from this which was incredibly scary.

Point being, fat content is only one part of the picture.

Fingers crossed :crossfingers: that Jasper is OK.

I know. The vet explained to me that it is not only through eating too much fat. She also said it could be through just having a tummy upset and it just progresses. My first mini now departed had a dreadful bout of pancreatitis a few years ago which I believe was brought about by Prednisol. Schnauzers apparently predisposed to this horrible affliction. Hubby says it's time to change breeds but I won't hear of it.