Dog Proofing Your Christmas Tree

lululove

Hi. We have an 8 month off French bulldog and this will be her first Christmas. Has anyone had any problems in the past with Christmas trees and their pups? I can just imagine doing the Christmas tree up and coming in to find it all in tatters. Our frenchie lives inside with us and isn't crate trained as she is just a member of the family. Our lounge room cannot be blocked off either. Any recommendations?

Guest RANDCMOORE31

Either block off the tree by putting some sort of playpen/barrier around it and the presents - or put the whole thing up on a table.

Crate training/crating a dog doesn't make it any less of a member in the family??

I assume that the OP means that she doesn't want the dog to be in a crate every time he/she is in the house. She wants the dog to be able to walk around and be with the family without the tree being destroyed.

Crate training/crating a dog doesn't make it any less of a member in the family??

I assume that the OP means that she doesn't want the dog to be in a crate every time he/she is in the house. She wants the dog to be able to walk around and be with the family without the tree being destroyed.

That;s how I took it too.

OP, I would do as was said, either block it off from pup or have a small tree up high where pup can't get to it.

Oh and watch out for tinsel poo! :laugh:

Oh I took it as leaving the dog alone with the Christmas tree, my bad :)

LOL tinsel poop, I have yet to see that.

Edited by Mashlee08

Teach the dog to 'leave it'...

Zig was about the same age last Xmas and was most excited about the tree with all the balls on it..

It was a good opportunity to teach leave it..

But what about if you aren't home? The buggers have free rein, to redecorate the tree. :rofl:

I suggest either blocking it off, or putting it out of reach as well.

Play pen.. And make sure your dog can't get in it.. Our tree goes in a corner and we put two sides of the play pen round it, so it was blocked. our girl pushed the sides off the wall and raided the tree... So this year the tree is getting put in the middle of the pen with all four sides joined..

Zig was about the same age last Xmas and was most excited about the tree with all the balls on it..

But what about if you aren't home? The buggers have free rein, to redecorate the tree. :rofl:

They never touched it when they were home alone..

I guess I am lucky, I taught the same thing to my old Stafford to. He never touched the Christmas tree either...

I can get Ziggy to leave the Xmas tree but can't seem to stop him digging.. Go figure...

Playpen the tree or put it up high.

It isn't just about them trashing the tree it is some of the presents and decorations that they can get into that are dangerous to their health if they ingest them. Chocolates etc are a major cause of Xmas heartache, as is bowel obstruction and perforation from decorations etc. :(

So if you cannot block off the room at least enclose the tree.

They never touched it when they were home alone..

I guess I am lucky, I taught the same thing to my old Stafford to. He never touched the Christmas tree either...

I can get Ziggy to leave the Xmas tree but can't seem to stop him digging.. Go figure...

You are definitely lucky, no way I could have trusted Kenny alone with a tree, I used to shut the lounge room door when I was out.

I'm wondering how my new girl Cougar will go with a Xmas tree. I think she should be OK, as she is such a laid back girl, as long as there is nothing edible on it.