Dogs In Front Yards

JulesP

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a little girl who lost 2 1/2 fingers I believe because she ran her hand along the front fence of a property and the dog inside caught her fingers as they popped through the gaps in the fence. It was pool fencing, I was told. People in animal management in local councils generally try to prevent disasters from happening if they can. In some areas kids are encouraged to report dogs that frighten them. I think it's fair that the kiddies should be able to walk to school or to the bus stop without being scared of someone's dog.

Incidentally, mine were in the backyard because I thought they'd be safer there. One day I came home to a traumatised dog panic barking himself hoarse. He did the same thing the whole of the next day, I am told. I do not know what happened to him in that yard, but to this day he panics if I shut him in there.

:(

As long as the fences are safe I don't see the issue. People should be allowed to have their dogs in the front yard. This has become the age of issues, everyone has a need for something to complain about. Getting barked at by a dog behind a secure fence is part of going for a walk, as long as the dog is secure then I don't see the problem. if the fence is shit or too low, then naturally there is a problem

My sister has an issue with one local dog that barks aggressively at her and her dogs every time she walks past that house. The yard is fenced but is only about chest high and has nothing to define front and back yards. It wouldn't matter if the fence was higher, the aggression from this dog has traumatised one of her dogs, to the point where she can't walk anywhere near that street anymore, as her dog puts on the brakes and will not go any further. This limits and restricts her to walking her dogs on the same route every day. It may be fine to keep a dog in the front yard if that dog does not react to the other dogs, but when they do, it can impact on others, especially those who have timid dogs that don't cope well with barking and aggression from other dogs.

Yes. There is barking and there is BARKING! BIG difference between "alert" barking and the salivating Baskerville type hound who wants to rip shreds off you and your dog.

As long as the fences are safe I don't see the issue. People should be allowed to have their dogs in the front yard. This has become the age of issues, everyone has a need for something to complain about. Getting barked at by a dog behind a secure fence is part of going for a walk, as long as the dog is secure then I don't see the problem. if the fence is shit or too low, then naturally there is a problem

My sister has an issue with one local dog that barks aggressively at her and her dogs every time she walks past that house. The yard is fenced but is only about chest high and has nothing to define front and back yards. It wouldn't matter if the fence was higher, the aggression from this dog has traumatised one of her dogs, to the point where she can't walk anywhere near that street anymore, as her dog puts on the brakes and will not go any further. This limits and restricts her to walking her dogs on the same route every day. It may be fine to keep a dog in the front yard if that dog does not react to the other dogs, but when they do, it can impact on others, especially those who have timid dogs that don't cope well with barking and aggression from other dogs.

Yes. There is barking and there is BARKING! BIG difference between "alert" barking and the salivating Baskerville type hound who wants to rip shreds off you and your dog.

I've had to change my route plenty of times. It comes with the territory of a dog owning society.

It seems a lot think it is normal dog behaviour to bark and charge a fence when someone walks by (with or without another dog)...

Is it 'normal' for dogs to do this?

My dogs don't bark or charge the fence when someone comes near it. (note when I say dogs, this includes the fosters we have had here as well as Ziggy now, also my gate is just near the front door, so they see people coming and going all the time)

The only time they have barked at the front door is of a night time, when someone knocks on the door..

Perhaps it is because I have my office at home - it is supposed to be by appointment but I still have clients turn up out of the blue to drop something off, so my dogs don't see people coming and going of a day as an issue??

I have quite a few tradies as clients, they all have dogs on/in their cars and often those dogs will come to the gate or a few come in and my dog still doesn't bark and charge the fence/gate...

Even my old boy never barked and carried on when someone walked past and he didn't really like other dogs.

Surely mine are not the only dogs that behave this way.

The 2 dogs next door to me are terrible for it and the guy doesn't have a closed gate - so we cross the road at his house and then come back across and into our yard once we pass his house...

It seems a lot think it is normal dog behaviour to bark and charge a fence when someone walks by (with or without another dog)...

Is it 'normal' for dogs to do this?

My dogs don't bark or charge the fence when someone comes near it. (note when I say dogs, this includes the fosters we have had here as well as Ziggy now, also my gate is just near the front door, so they see people coming and going all the time)

The only time they have barked at the front door is of a night time, when someone knocks on the door..

Perhaps it is because I have my office at home - it is supposed to be by appointment but I still have clients turn up out of the blue to drop something off, so my dogs don't see people coming and going of a day as an issue??

I have quite a few tradies as clients, they all have dogs on/in their cars and often those dogs will come to the gate or a few come in and my dog still doesn't bark and charge the fence/gate...

Even my old boy never barked and carried on when someone walked past and he didn't really like other dogs.

Surely mine are not the only dogs that behave this way.

The 2 dogs next door to me are terrible for it and the guy doesn't have a closed gate - so we cross the road at his house and then come back across and into our yard once we pass his house...

I think that it is like a lot of dog behaviours, it depends on the dog.

I have been told, not sure how true it is, that barking at the fence is similar to leash reactiveness. And it is also a self rewarding behaviour, the dogs barks, the person/dog/thing goes away.

I personally would not leave my dogs in my fenced front yard if I was not out there with them. I know they would bark at passers by and we have a lot of people walk past so I don't think it would be fair on the neighbours or the walkers.

My closest neighbours don't/ choose not to have dogs so I try to be respectful of that and create as little impact on them from my dogs as I possibly can.

On the other hand, although I find it inconsiderate, it actually doesn't bother me personally if other people have their dogs rushing the fence and barking as I use it as a training opportunity for my dogs.

I just take the attitude its their house they can do what they want. If i dont like walking past a dog i walk a different way, no big deal.

Saves getting stressed and angry over nothing.

It does become a problem when it is more than one person and its on more than one route. Also, it's not always possible when you're halfway home or on your way there to know if a dog is properly contained on a regular basis. I've been caught out this way more than once. I live in an estate that has small front yards, in fact, not really large blocks of land TBH overall.

It's also about being considerate to the community at large; not just about yourself.

My dogs stay in my very secure yard - padlocks on gates etc. I have no back garden. I regularly ask my neighbours about my dogs- one didn't realise I had any and the other was glad the give a warning bark when someone walks down her driveway. Should I lock them in the house for 12+ hours a day when I'm at work lest someone walks down the street?

There are some cronic barkers in ourstreet - and theyre all in their backyards.

My dogs stay in my very secure yard - padlocks on gates etc. I have no back garden. I regularly ask my neighbours about my dogs- one didn't realise I had any and the other was glad the give a warning bark when someone walks down her driveway. Should I lock them in the house for 12+ hours a day when I'm at work lest someone walks down the street?

There are some cronic barkers in ourstreet - and theyre all in their backyards.

I think that is the key, though.........communicating with your neighbours and attempting to get a picture of how they behave whilst you are away. Not just throwing them in the front or back yard and not giving a hoot how often they are barking.

I don't think it is black or white and but I think it is better for dog ownership in general if people show a little consideration as to the impact their dogs have on others.

My Neighbours have 2 bigish dogs whom bark alot. They bark everytime we open our back door to enter our backyard, they bark at our dog (and she is pretty good about not responding to them). Our dog is inside all day but she does occasionally answer back to them.

If the neighbours dogs are barking at us "too much" they put them in the front yard - but then they just bark at everyone who walks past (or when we go into our front yard). :rofl:

Slightly annoying as I try very hard to keep Luna quiet, the area is mainly terrace houses so we are all close together, but she does sometimes respond to them scrambling against the fence or growling/barking at us/her. Her bark isn't as loud though. If she barks she gets sent inside and sometimes gets a squirt (she hates being squirted with water). If she is quiet I praise her!

I don't think their front yard is very secure which makes me nervous - fences are only 1-1.2 m high and the gate isn't locked.

We have yappy dogs next door, drives me nuts. I was always really worried they'd teach Jarrah to be a nuisance barker but I've really kept on top of her, so mercifully she only barks when appropriate.

IDK if you can claim it's "dogs being dogs" and give them a free pass on it. Rolling in dead stuff, eating poo, sniffing crotches - and so many other unacceptable habits are "dogs being dogs" but we train our dogs not to. For me, the noise pollution of my dog barking at passers by is every bit as unacceptable and I don't allow it.

I do cut my own neighbours some slack on it because I know they try their best to keep their dogs quiet, and I appreciate the effort I see them make.

I love it when dogs are able to be out in their front yards. It means they are getting stimulation and exercise and not shut up in a four walled backyard while their owner is away. It's bored dogs who cause lots of the problems that are discussed on this forum eg. digging holes, destroying things. At least when a dog is in the front yard it can watch what is going on a

round it and have some mental variation in their day.

And yep, I'm another one who is so wholeheartedly sick of nervous nellies and report-happy people who really need to not sweat the small stuff in life. Dogs bark, deal.

I live in a rural area on an acre and have on a corner block. There is a front yard as such , so no dogs have access to the drive or front door. But the rest of the front of the section enables them to have access to the street frontage. It is fenced but farm fencing (gates are padlocked). I have run a hot wire just back from the fencing. My female does bark but as I am home 24/7 she is not usually outside alone for more than a few minutes. If I hear her nutting off I call her inside. I hate how she carries on but I cannot afford to put 6' solid fencing around the whole section :( It doesn't thrill me how she is but I have apologised to the neighbours who walk their dog and Molly will bark.

Guest Labradork

I haven't read the whole thread (only the first post).

I think it's fine to keep your dogs in the front yard - if you live in the middle of nowhere on a decent sized acreage and not in suburbia where everybody lives in everybody else's pockets.

Edited by Labradork

There is a difference between dogs in front yards not contained, the op was about a dog that was behind a fence.

I have no problem at all with this, and as i said, one day when i retire i would a little house where i can sit out front with my dogs. :)

I love it when dogs are able to be out in their front yards. It means they are getting stimulation and exercise and not shut up in a four walled backyard while their owner is away. It's bored dogs who cause lots of the problems that are discussed on this forum eg. digging holes, destroying things. At least when a dog is in the front yard it can watch what is going on a

round it and have some mental variation in their day.

And yep, I'm another one who is so wholeheartedly sick of nervous nellies and report-happy people who really need to not sweat the small stuff in life. Dogs bark, deal.

I would never leave my entire Cavalier Bitches in the front yard when I am away just to stop them getting bored! Only when I am there with them. I would not depend on the passing by of randoms as stimulation for my dogs.

There are too many non trustworthy people out there!

some days ago, i saw for the first time a young woman [late teens, early 20s perhaps] walking this gorgeous collie --- i'd not seen her or her dog before but we've had several homes go on sale and sold lately and i came upon the collie just this past week. i didn't even notice it as i walked past it until my boy pulled on the leash behind me and when i saw this beautiful dog, it made no sound nor did it appear defensive --- it casually trotted to the front gate just to have a look. beautiful!

unfinished post

for all the dogs i see behind gates on my walks, i would likely see only .1% [that's zero point one percent] being walked. very sad to say the very least...

Not having a go but would like to say that if you walked passed my house you would see my dogs in the (fenced) front yard and you also wouldn't see them being walked.

I drive my dogs to where I walk them and quite often I take one at a time as I do one on one training, so I am driving back and forward twice.

Sorry, just want to put it out there that just because you don't see dogs walking in your area, doesn't mean that they aren't being walked somewhere. I have a SBT and a rescue mutt and live in a house we are renovating, so people often think that young 'bogans' live at the house, when we are a middle aged couple whose kids have left home. People are very quick to judge. :laugh:

My dogs are kept out the back when we aren't home and left to roam around the whole house when we are there. We do lock the front gate. Quite a few people here leave the dogs out the front for security and I can understand why, but my dogs are too important to me to risk anything happen to them.

my apologies korbin. i made an unsubstantiated remark without thinking too deeply about it; i guess because i don't do as you do, it didn't occur to me that others might do what you do. i'd be hard pressed tho to be convinced otherwise for let me say therefore, a *reasonably high percentage* of dogs residing in my area.

Sorry, just want to put it out there that just because you don't see dogs walking in your area, doesn't mean that they aren't being walked somewhere.

Exactly. But maybe scruffy n flea has been sitting outside these houses for 24 hours otherwise how else could she make such an assertion? :D :D

ya know, at first i just wanted to right here right now post a :raspberry: or maybe just flick you the bird or remark quite glibly in some other way, but i decided you're remark isn't worth any more of my time...

perhaps if you were to offer something constructive rather than provoke with such nonsense i'd have some respect for you!