Keeping An In-heat Kelpie Amused

mixeduppup

So Torque is in season and is house/yardbound for the coming week or two. I have an agility set up but she's not very interested, all she wants to do is go for a walk or run but that's not happening. What activities can we do to keep her occupied during this time? Something that will wear her out a bit and keep her entertained?

Edited by mixeduppup

didn't you say you take the dogs to a friends farm for a run? No reason you couldn't take her on her own, put her on a long line.

Just had the car cleaned for a wedding so on-heat dogs are banned until after that, otherwise I'd be there in a shot :laugh:

Hide and seek with a toy is a favourite with the foxdog on rainy days :)

Is she clicker-savvy? Teaching handy household jobs like closing the fridge door for you or putting away toys is also fun!

Haha good idea. I could teach her all sorts of fun things

didn't you say you take the dogs to a friends farm for a run? No reason you couldn't take her on her own, put her on a long line.

Just had the car cleaned for a wedding so on-heat dogs are banned until after that, otherwise I'd be there in a shot :laugh:

put some blankets down, a wedding is one day, a season 3 weeks

put some blankets down, a wedding is one day, a season 3 weeks

Yeah it's not happening, it's not my car and she's been banned. Looking at things I can do in the yard until early next week when my friend can put her in the ute and take her out for me, but still I don't have much time int he next weeks and the farm is half an hour away so there'll be many days where I'll only have the yard. I think the trick training is a good idea.

Edited by mixeduppup

Use newborn baby tab type nappies to stop any possible mess in car just cut a hole for the tail to go through :D they work really well.

As for distraction therapy frisbee is always good I have several and as one is brought back I chuck the next can do it while I read paper etc this is a guaranteed wear out activity.

If she is seriously food orientated freeze a small container of water with several chicken necks wings or other tasty morsels in it, then place out on grass and watch her go as she licks and chews to get to the treats, I call them doggie licks :)

Use a rope tie a largelong leg meaty bone from a tree branch or post etc so dog has to really work to figure out how to get it down, you hang it just so they can just reach it when standing on hind legs, make rope in a loop around one end so eventually dog can pull it through.

same way you'd keep any dog amused we had all 3 bitches here come in within a week of each other... bones were great amusements as was loose treats in a water bottle which they had to work to get them out, new toys particularly interactive ones that squeaked they got hours out of driving us insane.. apart from that excesice in the backyard, plenty of games with us and crate rest, ours all curl up and switch off in the crates.. why not teach crate games and other interesting games and tricks..

it's really not that hard it's more about being vigilante about where you go and other dogs around. in our case it was easier to crate our boy and keep him happy and let the girls have their usual roam

I still walked and trained mine right through her season. Don't visit dog parks, off leash areas or group training and it's not an issue.

Are you on a property or any grassed areas nearby? Take her out early mornings and teach her to track. smile.gif

there's a grassed area up the road but the amount of loose dogs makes me not walk through town anymore, hence my conundrum as I have no car to drive her to the property, so it's the backyard for another 6 days or so, until my friend takes her out to his property for a few days whilst I'm at the wedding and then he'll work her twice a day and she'll be happy. :D

She's currently learning how to close the fridge door as Weasels suggested and today we have to go out so she'll be kenneled with a huge frozen femur bone :D

:thumbsup:

That trick has actually increased overall harmony in my house: now instead of OH getting annoyed at me for not closing the fridge properly, I just say I'm doing it deliberately to train the dogs ;)

And yes bones the size of my forearm are the other option we use for bored kelpies :D

Edited by Weasels

I still walked and trained mine right through her season. Don't visit dog parks, off leash areas or group training and it's not an issue.

Are you on a property or any grassed areas nearby? Take her out early mornings and teach her to track. smile.gif

So did I, i have a working girl also so its almost impossible for her to sit still. She goes nuts if she doesn't get out at least once a day.

MUP Is there room enough in your yard that you could do training with her? Mental stimulation can be just as exhausting as physical exercise, at least in my experience lol :) All the best :)

I've got a bit of a schedule for tomorrow. Just my luck I'm not having a very well week but the dogs needs her stimulation :laugh:.

Tomorrow she's learning how to stop on command from anywhere. It's essential that she learns this as a working dog and she has been taught but it's not yet established and is proving a challenge for her so it will be the perfect time to knuckle down. then we might do some more fridge door training. :D

This could work wonders! I might teach her to put dirty clothes in the hamper next :)

I know someone who taught their dog to pick up any loose clothing lying around (especially socks) and put them in the laundry hamper. It had the two-fold effect of keeping the dog occupied and getting the teenagers no to leave clothes lying on the floor of their bedrooms.

So Torque is in season and is house/yardbound for the coming week or two. I have an agility set up but she's not very interested,

Just curious...but why can't you use this time to get her interested? Especially if you are considering agility in her future...

Edited by Vickie