Rescue Dogs - Clues To Their Lives Before You.

Wobbly

I think people read too much into their rescues behaviours. They attribute certain behaviours to neglect, abuse, poor dog ownership by the previous owners or whatever fits their theory on why the rescue acts the way they do.

Why not just deal with the behaviour and get on with life, rather than dwelling on the past and what could have and might have happened to the dog

why?

Is it hurting them?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my dogs I had while growing up, Riff, was rescued from the RSPCA at about 10 weeks. Dad took me to get him (I was probably around 8?) - the shelter was an hour's drive from home. We got there and picked another dog, and went to find someone to get her out of the cage. On the way to get her out the guy told us he had to let Riff into the yards first. He opened the run, riff jumped from the ground onto dads shoulder then on to me, knocking me flying onto the ground (covered in god only knows what). Apparently as I went catatonic with joy dad gave the man a filthy look and said we didn't want a puppy. He replied that Riff was next for the needle, and it was our choice :( We bought him, popped his new collar on and walked outside feeling all warm and fuzzy about saving a life. Riff then slipped his collar and ran back into the shelter, causing total pandemonium :laugh:

The next week dad took him to work. His office was on the local ferry wharf and apparently a fairy walked past, looked inside and walked in and told dad she had bred him and sold him to someone out west. As it turned out, she worked at the children's hospital. Thus the fairy outfit. The next day a clown walked into his office with 2 slightly feral dogs on leads. It was the same chick, with his parents. From the description dad gave, I'm pretty sure he was a pitty x cairn. Like all dogs bred on the island where she lived, Riff was batcrap crazy and swam like a water rat on steroids. Every time dad took a boat near the island where he was born Riff would throw himself off and it would take hours to find him. He was one of the most unique and special dogs I've met and I have a million insane stories about him but should probably stop now :laugh:

A Pitty X Cairn, although they are my two favourite breeds, I can't even think about that pairing. :eek:

Well to put him in perspective (I mean he was bred by a fairy so how bad could he be....)

The night we brought him home we had a friend of dads staying. His friends was coming home late and as we would all be asleep dad asked him to stick his head in and check I was ok before he went to bed. Forgot to mention riff. Apparently dad woke up to a massive commotion and came out to find our new black fuzz ball hanging from his mates leg. Riff took looking after me seriously from day 1 (and later, my stepsister).

He used to swim about 3 hours a day, he had an agreement with the local seagulls that they would swim to the middle of the creek (around 100m out) and they would dive bomb him while he would tread water and try to catch them. Every half an hour they would all come and collapse on our wharf together for a break. He didn't chase cars but did chase boats, and broke his leg once after a boat hit him, but still swam in and went on with his business. He took a dive off a third story verandah while chasing a possum and was totally fine after recovering from the shock of my terrified father picking him up off the path below. He loved beer and would carefully slurp out the top of each bottle he could reach, without anyone realizing! Every day our neighbours tied their GSD to his run, riff would go over half an hour later, chew through the rope, and hold the end in his mouth and drag the GSD with him everywhere till his owners came home.

Loads more but I don't want to hijack!!! :laugh:

I think people read too much into their rescues behaviours. They attribute certain behaviours to neglect, abuse, poor dog ownership by the previous owners or whatever fits their theory on why the rescue acts the way they do.

Why not just deal with the behaviour and get on with life, rather than dwelling on the past and what could have and might have happened to the dog

I dont think people are "dwelling" they just have an understandable interst in their dogs past. I have no references or expert knowledge but I deal with a number of rescues and often wonder why a dog is the way it is. I will meet a dog that has possibly suffered so much neglect, yet they are still so loving and affectionate, it just makes you wonder how or why a dog turns out the way it does.

I also think knowing a dogs history could assist with dealing with a dogs current behaviour, but in most cases this is not possible.

why?

Is it hurting them?

Many of the undesirable behaviours that have been described, especially nervousness, are probably much more likely to be inherent in the dog than being caused by past ownership. Plenty of dogs cope with terrible ownership very well.

The stories people tell seem to propagate a harmful myth that all dogs are bred with equally stable temperaments and that bad ownership is the only problem. It ignores the fact that some dogs are well bred or fortunate enough to be a happy dog despite less than perfect owners. It ignores the fact that some people breed dogs with terrible nervy temperaments. Badly bred dogs with temperament faults are more likely to end up being dumped. Its not the dogs fault and it's good that they are happy in a new home, but why shouldn't crappy breeders get as much blame as anyone?

Obviously it can be difficult to separate genetics from environment sometimes - eg a dog may be nervous due to mishandling, but equally it may be nervous due to poor breeding, it's often difficult to tell why a dog displays a given behaviour, hence the caveat "this is speculation" needs to be applied, which it has been.

As I've said I don't know if my dog's happy, outgoing nature is a result of being handled a lot as a small pup and never being mistreated in her former home or whether it's just a happy result of good genetics. I happen to think all of the above applies. I may be wrong, but if so it does no one any harm to speculate. She is how she is, and I manage her in accordance with her current behaviour but that will never stop me wondering why she is like she is.

If you own an animal and love it, it's natural to wonder where it's been, what it's experiences have been and why it ended up needing a new home. Unless of course you lack all curiosity, and perhaps Pavlova you are completely lacking in all curiosity, so this probably isn't the thread for you, in which case feel free to not post in it. :)

Well to put him in perspective (I mean he was bred by a fairy so how bad could he be....)

Might explain a lot! XD

Loads more but I don't want to hijack!!! :laugh:

Hijack away! Your fairy dog sounds very awesome. XD

Another thing about Jarrah, she'd never been taught the joys of a good belly scratch. She was incredibly unwilling to roll on her back for a belly scratch at first, it took a while to habituate her to the idea that being rolled on her back was an awesome thing, but I won her over, she's completely addicted to belly scratches now. XD

Jarrah's reaction to guys who look like labourers - in work boots & shorts (and one of those fluoro council vests is a huge plus, but not strictly neccessary) is just hilarious. She sees them from a distance, and starts waggling, and if they start walking towards her she starts waggling ever more furiously, till I worry she's going to burst with pent up adoration. She doesn't do it for any other type of person, just labourer looking guys. I really have to get a video of it sometime to post, it's quite hilarious. The labourer-type guys who she targets are always pretty delighted with such a reaction so she generally gets a pat from them, which serves to reinforce the behaviour ever more firmly ofc. XD

There's a few other things I wonder about too, but am at a little bit of a loss to explain. She came with some propensity toward dog aggression, although whether that is nature or nurture I really can't say. It was certainly not fear driven though, and as soon as I became aware of it I booked a consult with a behaviourist, and all of his advice has been so supremely effective that I haven't really ever seen enough of that behaviour manifested to really extrapolate. As she's an Amstaff I'm kind guessing that one is more likely to be genetic than anything else.

I think that some people want to believe that their rescue dog has had a harder life prior to coming to them. It feeds their need to feel like they have done something great for the dog by adopting it, and are better owners than those the dog may have had previously. This is just human nature... and there's only something wrong with the notion if you allow the dog to continue inappropriate behaviours and use prior ownership as the crutch for doing so.

One of my foster failures is disabled from a scar in her brain she incurred as a wee pup in an Aboriginal camp. Evidence shows that this scar is most likely to have been caused by something physical, rather than genetic. Personally I don't care that she walks funny or is a complete turd with a strong will - she is mine and I love her to death - and she is awesome at helping me raise other foster pups. She is also well behaved when out in public.

Being involved in rescue has opened my eyes to exactly how many really nicely adjusted, healthy, and happy dogs can find themselves homeless - the actual number of "problem" dogs coming through rescue is not that large really.

T.

I have many but Tori is my heart rescue she came to me with her teeth snapped off n badly healed bridge of nose & these really cloudy eyes. She was terrified of big goofy males & to this day hates the smell of alchole n gets very nervous.

She was imported from Wales & an indoor loved pet till family had new baby n Tori would not get in pup so was moved into their boarding kennels down the back n forgotten it seems.

She is now our nanny dog always with the youngest child n sound asleep at my feet now. Guy wanted 3 grand I paid 800 n said I'd try n breed a litter n he could have half the litter but after several attempts including AI I desexed her as that's what was in her best interest yet the stupid guy still demands I owe him. Yeah right between fixing her eyes n teeth then vet assisted matings a complicated spay & the hrs of training I have put in to get her family safe he can go jump.

I think that some people want to believe that their rescue dog has had a harder life prior to coming to them. It feeds their need to feel like they have done something great for the dog by adopting it, and are better owners than those the dog may have had previously. This is just human nature... and there's only something wrong with the notion if you allow the dog to continue inappropriate behaviours and use prior ownership as the crutch for doing so.

One of my foster failures is disabled from a scar in her brain she incurred as a wee pup in an Aboriginal camp. Evidence shows that this scar is most likely to have been caused by something physical, rather than genetic. Personally I don't care that she walks funny or is a complete turd with a strong will - she is mine and I love her to death - and she is awesome at helping me raise other foster pups. She is also well behaved when out in public.

Being involved in rescue has opened my eyes to exactly how many really nicely adjusted, healthy, and happy dogs can find themselves homeless - the actual number of "problem" dogs coming through rescue is not that large really.

T.

I fully agree many do read to much into behaviours.

When we adopted Honey we were told she'd had a rough life. Trained through beatings & left in a yard alone. She'd also had a litter or 2.

Her initial behaviour really reflected this. When called, she would come & hit the deck in full submission. Any attempt to pat her head & she'd drop as if you were going to hit her. Putting a lead on she'd do the same. Poor darling, she still maintained such a sweet loving temperament.

Those things improved fairly quickly with lots of love & kindness.

She is such a smoocher, as her rescuer said- desperately trying to catch up on those 2 years of no love! :laugh:

She still has some funny quirks that mystify me though- she is obsessed with & will chase sky writing & plane vapour trails. My only guess on that is that being a high drive gun dog (she is the same about seagulls too), perhaps it was her only entertainment while being left bored in her yard?

(Which may also explain her supreme ratting skills... ergh!)

Another is that she occasionally tries to protect me from dark men with hats on (with big woofs, she is a real sook for the most part). I do wonder if that's what her past owner looked like.

Oh and she is getting better at playing with other dogs now, when she can be bothered, previously she had no idea, so she'd perhaps been left alone from a very young age.

Generally though now she is pretty much well adjusted into her new life- it makes me happy that now she has been with us longer than her bad life.

Actually in a couple of weeks we will have had her for exactly 3 years! Aww my beautiful Honey dog, I can't imagine life without you!!

(so stop chasing those planes you goose!!)

why?

Is it hurting them?

Many of the undesirable behaviours that have been described, especially nervousness, are probably much more likely to be inherent in the dog than being caused by past ownership. Plenty of dogs cope with terrible ownership very well.

The stories people tell seem to propagate a harmful myth that all dogs are bred with equally stable temperaments and that bad ownership is the only problem. It ignores the fact that some dogs are well bred or fortunate enough to be a happy dog despite less than perfect owners. It ignores the fact that some people breed dogs with terrible nervy temperaments. Badly bred dogs with temperament faults are more likely to end up being dumped. Its not the dogs fault and it's good that they are happy in a new home, but why shouldn't crappy breeders get as much blame as anyone?

I agree GM..

But I think it is human nature (for a lot of people) to want to know why their beloved pets were found in a pound.. After all, we adore them, why didn't their first owners?

I know I look at Ziggy curled up in the middle of my bed an wonder how anyone could dump him in the pound (he was found in the cages out the front).. Sure he has his issues but he was only 6 months old..

Genuine question:

Should training a dog that has bad breeding be different to a dog that has had little human contact or a dog that was beaten every time the previous owner looked at it?

T.

An interesting post especially the last paragraph. Ownership of my rescue dog (See post 6) meant initially that I was often anxious that someone would stop me in the street and tell me I had their dog.

Last night I had an awful dream that I lost him and after weeks of searching I located him in someone's yard and I was then told that he was no longer my dog because he was now microchipped in their name. I do recognise lots of past issues coming up in my dream of course which I won't bore you with and I hope this is not too off topic but how safe is it posting on here about your dogs? Some DOL posters never talk about their dogs and others talk about them at every opportunity.

ETA Wobbly I am happy to delete if you want me to. Just pm me.

Edited by nawnim

Nawim your post is great, I too have worried that Jarrah's former owner will see her and demand her back. Although I think I have a pretty strong case for keeping her given the fact that he left in the pound for an entire month. I remember a newb in the Amstaff piccys thread once asked me where I'd got Jarrah, that poster only had the one post on the entire forum, and I was so worried he was her old owner wanting her back. Probably wasn't, but I couldn't help worrying about it.

Genuine question:

Should training a dog that has bad breeding be different to a dog that has had little human contact or a dog that was beaten every time the previous owner looked at it?

Management & training would be on a case by case basis ofc. I do think your expectations as to how much you're going to be able to rehab the dog might differ tbh. I've seen some quite miraculous recoveries of dogs who've been beaten coming right out of their shells (it does seem to happen fairly often that dogs ARE mistreated a few of my friends' have had dogs who plainly had terrible histories), but I'm not sure you'd be able to get such dramatic recoveries with a genetically bad dog?

I think my favourite story of a dog who did the hard yards but recovered amazingly well was Little Leo the poodle, who many here will remember. Leo was bred by a member here called Sivaro, she found out he was being used interstate as breeding stock at a puppy mill, and after her frantic request for help for him here, another member called Ambervale rescued him. Leo was so terrified and beaten down when Ambervale first got him, but with her care he blossomed into a really happy, smiley little guy who led (and presumably continues to lead) a full life, not unduly affected by his previous rotten circumstances. I'll see if I can find the thread for anyone who's newer and hasn't read it, it used to be a sticky, it's a really amazing story and definitely worth the read.

Sometimes I do think people don't know the procedure to look for a lost dog or where to look. Perhaps elderly people have no transport, are unaware of where a dog may be taken, especially in the cities. I know I would move heaven and earth to look for mine, but I have the means and the information to do so. I remember working with a lady who had lost her dog and was totally clueless of what to do, and I suggested the pound (frequently), every vet clinic in town, the local radio station's pet service, etc. The dog was handed in to a vet clinic who she had subsequently contacted and left a description, thank goodness, but this was a professional person who just didn't know where to look.

Nawnim, I'm sure your dog is very happy with her second home :)

I'm equally sure that if we knew our dogs' past, it would help to understand some behaviours, but wouldn't explain everything. I know mine was neglected and that's all I needed to know - she was safe and loved for as long as I had her.

why?

Is it hurting them?

It can certainly hurt the "getting on with life" part. I'd not mind $10 for every time "he's a rescue" got trotted out in class as an excuse for poor behaviour or lack of progress in training. A fair bit of the time the training issue is at the other end of the leash.

Feeling sorry for your dog shouldn't be a convenient cop out or an excuse for not dealing with issues.

I think there are quite a few issues caused by lack of socialisation or timidity that get written off as "abused dog". Headshyness is one.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

An interesting post especially the last paragraph. Ownership of my rescue dog (See post 6) meant initially that I was often anxious that someone would stop me in the street and tell me I had their dog.

Last night I had an awful dream that I lost him and after weeks of searching I located him in someone's yard and I was then told that he was no longer my dog because he was now microchipped in their name. I do recognise lots of past issues coming up in my dream of course which I won't bore you with and I hope this is not too off topic but how safe is it posting on here about your dogs? Some DOL posters never talk about their dogs and others talk about them at every opportunity.

ETA Wobbly I am happy to delete if you want me to. Just pm me.

I used to wonder about that with my older girl, whether someone would recognise her, because she came from a shelter not too far away. I have spoken to the owner of my boy that I have the history for, and she didn't want him hence why he was surrendered. My other two dogs came from a completely different area. What worries me more, for rescue dogs of certain breeds/looks, is the disturbing lengths that some people will go to after being rejected for that dog, but that's OT.

Sometimes I do think people don't know the procedure to look for a lost dog or where to look. Perhaps elderly people have no transport, are unaware of where a dog may be taken, especially in the cities. I know I would move heaven and earth to look for mine, but I have the means and the information to do so. I remember working with a lady who had lost her dog and was totally clueless of what to do, and I suggested the pound (frequently), every vet clinic in town, the local radio station's pet service, etc. The dog was handed in to a vet clinic who she had subsequently contacted and left a description, thank goodness, but this was a professional person who just didn't know where to look.

Yes, this is exactly what worries me, what if he did genuinely try to find her, but for whatever reason was looking in the wrong places? It's not a really serious fear of mine, but I have to say it has occurred to me. I never answered that guy who asked me where I got her. XD

It can certainly hurt the "getting on with life" part. I'd not mind $10 for every time "he's a rescue" got trotted out in class as an excuse for poor behaviour or lack of progress in training. A fair bit of the time the training issue is at the other end of the leash.

Feeling sorry for your dog shouldn't be a convenient cop out or an excuse for not dealing with issues.

I think there are quite a few issues caused by lack of socialisation or timidity that get written off as "abused dog". Headshyness is one.

I would hope people don't use the past to justify not fixing problems of today. Both in respect to their own lives now, as well as their dogs. That's a very self defeating attitude to life.

I couldn't find Leo's full story, but here's a thread of how well he turned out with Ambervale's nurturing and care: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/126835-leo-the-lion-heart-poodle/page__p__2397332__fromsearch__1#entry2397332

Edited by Wobbly

I recall Leo's story, it was so sad yet heartwarming.

I agree that the ability of a rescue dog to recover from bad experiences is in a large part due to the dogs genetics.

I know for a fact my dog was beaten & that her initial flinching behaviour was due to this, but it's testament to her essentially good nature that she was able to recover & now you'd never know she'd had such a bad past if you met her.

Sure she is overly sooky & puts on the big pat-me eyes, but that's because she is spoilt, not because she is sad. :laugh:

But i dont think its just genetics, I think rescue dogs often find it harder to move on from their (possibly) sad pasts when their new owners cave at the first sign of odd behaviour.

I found the advice in here invaluable when I first got Honey & made an effort not to mollycoddle her from sympathy whenever she exhibited nervousness. That combined with her good nature got us where we are now.

T.

I fully agree many do read to much into behaviours.

+1

I know the background of our 4 rescued dogs and their behaviours do not always give a good indication of their previous lives.

Anyone seeing our little Chi x would think she'd been terrorised within an inch of her life. Fact is, she was idolised by her previous owner, went everywhere with him, shared his toast and tea for breakfast, was his companion for 9 years. She came to us when he died. She is not comfortable with strangers hence her cowering and shaking. She is a different dog when it's family.

You'd be amazed at how many people WILL excuse poor behaviour by saying "he/she is a rescue"...

I certainly don't raise my fosters to have bad behaviour, and they are only rehomed when I'm happy with such. Dog knows that prospective adopters aren't really looking for a rescue with issues - they want a dog that they can feel comfortable with under all sorts of conditions... with family, with guests, on a walk, etc...

Any rescue that rehomes a dog without having a full understanding of that dog's nature is playing with fire, and every problem dog released into the community by such rescues only gives bad press to all of those perfectly "normal" dogs available from reputable rescues - not to mention reinforcing the myth that all dogs from pounds, shelters, and rescue have "issues" - the stark truth is that there are MANY more dogs available from those sources that DON'T come with issues.

Dogs AREN'T human - they don't really think too hard about the past, but usually live in the here and now. As soon as we stop trying to project our own human feelings and emotions upon them, the better it is for the dog.

Basically - just enjoy your new best friend in the here and now, and don't fantasise about it's past.

T.