Why Am I Seeing This Un-doglike Behaviour

shirra

because she doesn't want the other dog to sniff her that's why. She is uncomfortable with the other dogs approach and this is her way of saying so.

I would bet the dog is also sending off other signals as well, the OP Probably isn't noticing them.

She meets other dogs almost every day when we are out walking in a riverside park that is very popular with dog walkers, and It's different dogs each day.

I tend to assess the other dogs as we are approaching and I make the decision on whether she is allowed to meet and greet or not, so she hasn't had any negative experiences.

She seems happy to meet other dogs, sniff their butts, and attempts to initiate play, but for the last few weeks the second the other dog heads for her butt she sits.

I wonder if it's because she's never had a play session with another dog? My friends dogs are old and don't want to play. We don't go to the off-leash park following one nasty experience when she was a pup.

Should I not allow meet & greets if she is doing this because she is uncomfortable?

Is she only doing it with male dogs? It is normal behaviour for entire females who are not in season or do not wish to be mated if they are in season, to do this when a male makes advances to them. No idea if desexed ones also do it but is possible the same instinct to protect their rear end is there.

I would let her continue to meet friendly dogs if she doesn't really seem scared of them. BTW a lot of adult dogs have no interest in "playing" with other dogs so don't feel that it is necessary.

Is she sore around that around, so that it might hurt when they touch her? Or has she recently been bitten or had a run-in with a dog that might leave her a bit "bum shy"?

My girl is often "bum shy" when my boy has been harrasing her and biting her tail a lot (because he knows it annoys her and he's currently a bratty 7 month old :laugh: )

Edited by minimax

Is she sore around that around, so that it might hurt when they touch her? Or has she recently been bitten or had a run-in with a dog that might leave her a bit "bum shy"?

My girl is often "bum shy" when my boy has been harrasing her and biting her tail a lot (because he knows it annoys her and he's currently a bratty 7 month old :laugh: )

No run-ins or recent bites, but she does have ongoing anal gland problems. Perhaps her anal glands are sore? :confused:

My almost five year old dog does this. She was desexed at four months. I think it's just that she is wary and does not want other dogs where she can't see them. She does not enjoy playing with other dogs. She doesn't sit down she just swings her bum away. If they persisted depending on their size she would either tell them off or come to me for protection.

No run-ins or recent bites, but she does have ongoing anal gland problems. Perhaps her anal glands are sore? :confused:

If the behavior has only been recent, might be worth getting the glands checked out.