Velcro Dog

One of my dogs is a "Velcro" dog. I move...he moves. Not 100% of the time, but if he isn't soundly sleeping, he will follow me from room to room, even to the bathroom.

I'd like to understand better the motivation for this behaviour as well as t&t methods for changing it? I feel it's a security thing and would like to increase his confidence to negate it, but would love some fresh thoughts :)

My nine year old Aussie is a velcro dog. He follows me everywhere although I do have a no dogs in the bathroom rule. He isnt needy and I dont have a problem with it, although I do tell him sometimes its not worth getting up as I will be back in a sec :) I take it as a compliment :D

I feel it's a security thing and would like to increase his confidence to negate it, but would love some fresh thoughts

Teach him a place command and/or a down stay. Gradually work the down stay into a stay out of sight, gradually increase the duration. Most kinds of obedience training (e.g. walk at heel, sit, drop, recall etc) will help your dog gain confidence.

Edited by itsadogslife

Yeah I have one the same. It makes me feel guilty leaving a room that he has just settled down in, so I invent reasons to stay in that room longer so I don't disturb him as often. Pathetic!

Same here. My girl is the same. Follows me everywhere all the time. So glad I'm not the only one that finds things to do in the room she has settled in so as not to disturb her donski. I'm pathetic too then :)

Lili (Aussie) follows me EVERYWHERE. Even if she is fast asleep, if she hears even the tiniest bit of movement she's up and following. I also try not to move rooms so she will stay asleep :laugh: :o

I frequently step bacwards and almost fall on her when she sits behind me while I'm cooking in the kitchen, she comes to the bathroom with me and when I take a shower she sits right outside the door waiting.

It doesn't bother me, I kind of like it, I always have my mate with me and I talk to her a lot too :)

Yeah....I'm crazy :laugh:

ETA: It seems Border Collies and Aussies are bad for this, is it a breed thing?

Edited by Aussie3

Lili (Aussie) follows me EVERYWHERE. Even if she is fast asleep, if she hears even the tiniest bit of movement she's up and following. I also try not to move rooms so she will stay asleep :laugh: :o

I frequently step bacwards and almost fall on her when she sits behind me while I'm cooking in the kitchen, she comes to the bathroom with me and when I take a shower she sits right outside the door waiting.

It doesn't bother me, I kind of like it, I always have my mate with me and I talk to her a lot too :)

Add pugs to that list!

My two have the nicknames shadow and velcro for a reason :laugh:

When they are asleep on the lounge at night, I hate getting up to go to the bathroom or something coz I know it will disturb them and they will get up and follow me.

Add pugs to that list!

My two have the nicknames shadow and velcro for a reason :laugh:

When they are asleep on the lounge at night, I hate getting up to go to the bathroom or something coz I know it will disturb them and they will get up and follow me.

Yes! I avoid it like the plague...

My dogs are both velcro dogs, but the JRT x more so than the poodle x.

I don't see it as an issue though. He doesn't have SA, he's fine being left outside for a little while without trying to break through the door or make noise, he waits quietly outside the bathroom door, he will wait wherever I tell him to, etc.

Velcro dogs are awesome, you just need a few basic rules regarding personal space :)

I don't see it as an issue though. He doesn't have SA, he's fine being left outside for a little while without trying to break through the door or make noise, he waits quietly outside the bathroom door, he will wait wherever I tell him to, etc.

Velcro dogs are awesome, you just need a few basic rules regarding personal space :)

And learn to walk without lifting your feet too much so you don't step on them :laugh:

And learn to walk without lifting your feet too much so you don't step on them :laugh:

Lili gets so close to the back of my legs that sometimes I kick her in the face just from lifting my foot :eek: She doesn't care, just keeps on following *Rolly eyes*

Yep, that an accepting that it will take twice as long to get anywhere inside the house due to the dogs in front of my feet :)

:laugh: Sometimes it takes me a full minute to step through a doorway, weaving around an Aussie who is trying to weave around ME bahaha

Because I have small dogs, sometimes when we do that dance, I literally pick them up and move them so I can get where I need to go :laugh:

Same Aussie3, it's a full time job dodgeing Stella. I have taught her to wait at the side of doorways when I need her to.

Honestly, never had a dog like her. I have to check behind me where ever I am as I will end up treading on her otherwise. When she is outside, no matter what room I am in I can look up at the window & guess who's cute, little face I see looking back at me LOL :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Mine sleeps either between me and my OH on the bed or on the floor next to my side of the bed.

In the morning, she waits for ther alarm and as soon as it goes off she's in between us wriggling madly and licking us to death.

And yes when they're outside Mosley will be off sniffing, doing his thing, but Lili? No, she's standing at the screen door, staring intently at me :laugh:

ETA: Pic of velcro dog lying next to me in bed.

post-25556-0-45534600-1354164366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aussie3

Same Aussie3, it's a full time job dodgeing Stella. I have taught her to wait at the side of doorways when I need her to.

Honestly, never had a dog like her. I have to check behind me where ever I am as I will end up treading on her otherwise. When she is outside, no matter what room I am in I can look up at the window & guess who's cute, little face I see looking back at me LOL :)

Maddie is the same. Her little white face is the last thing I see at the window when I drive off and the first thing I see when I come home. She is always following me around. I have trod on her toes a million times and quite often elbow her in the head as I'm pulling the toilet paper off the roll. Stan on the otherhand is not concerned about where I am or where I go. As I type this he is still in my bed with the fan on him :)

Stan sounds like my Sonny. He does like to know where I am however once he has that sorted he will go off & have another sleep again in the air con naturally.

Stella has to be right near me. If that isn't possible she just stares at me. You'd think after numerous accidental bumps in the head, toes trodden on & being tripped over would deter her from being so Velcro but it hasn't. Just totally different natures my 2. Sonny is more confident & comfortable in his own skin where as Stel is quite insecure but settles the moment she is next to me :)

I'm on a mission not to change her because it doesn't bother me that she is Velcro but I'd like to increase her confidence. Don't know how but I will do some homework & see what I can come up with. Maybe it might help her :)

Edited by BC Crazy