Tragic Pool Accident

Mrs Rusty Bucket

My brother's SBT drowned today.

It's a bit of a shock as she was with us and enthusiastic about life, bones, digging in the garden at a family dinner only yesterday evening.

She was about 11 yo. Going a bit deaf and stiff but still had plenty of time yet.

My brother went to visit friends who were in the middle of renovations but the thing they left till last was the pool fence. All the regular children that visit can swim, but the dog cannot.

She went through the pool cover - so even tho my brother looked under there, he couldn't see her.

Unfenced pools and pool covers and dogs that swim like lead balloons. ARGH.

There are so many horrible ways to lose a dog. Mine could die because she likes to play with snakes, eats broken glass, would probably eat ratsack and my mum puts it out at her place, and she likes to chase joggers and bicycles. Mostly she remembers not to - but every now and again - forgets herself.

Guest Labradork

I overlooked this thread because I mistook the title for a news story. I'm so sorry to hear that it's about your brother's dog. How terrible for all of you :cry:

Edited by Labradork

news story...

I only hope that someone decides that pool fencing should come first when it comes to renovations or rebuilds after fires or whatever - my poor brother couldn't talk properly, he was that upset. I think I'm still in denial / avoidance.

It could have been a toddler. So maybe a teensy bit angry as well as sad/avoiding/denial.

I hate rainbow bridge posts. Sigh. Maybe I'm way too soft.

Guest Labradork

Sorry, I meant I mistook the title.

There's been so many horrible things about dogs killing people and stuff like that lately that I usually avoid the In The News forum. I didn't realise that this was in the Rainbow Bridge forum. I would have commented sooner. How very sad :(

Edited by Labradork

• 3 weeks later...