Advocate

BT-Argo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use advocate for fleas & will be using advantix as well whenever we head to tick areas (usually only during holidays).

I recently tried to use just Advantix & it made my GR's fur greasy after absorption- for weeks! :confused: . Anyone else find this?

It has never happened with the Advocate, so I've decided to go back to it.

I use Advocate or Revolution. Both of mine have had the heartworm injection, but the vet said it was ok to double up on heartworm treatment, and I worked out that it would cost the same to buy flea treatment and wormer separately, so I use the spot ons because they're easier.

I treat both dogs and all 5 cats monthly now. I used to only do it when I saw fleas, but one of my dogs is allergic to fleas now, so if so much as one flea bites him (even if I haven't actually seen any fleas on any of them) he will scratch and scratch and scratch for 2-3 weeks.

I used to use Frontline every 2 weeks for ticks, but stopped doing that over winter. Last year my vet told me they were expecting a really bad tick year, but I've never seen ticks in the nearly 6 years we've lived here.

Edited by fuzzy82

I use Advocate or Revolution. Both of mine have had the heartworm injection, but the vet said it was ok to double up on heartworm treatment, and I worked out that it would cost the same to buy flea treatment and wormer separately, so I use the spot ons because they're easier.

I treat both dogs and all 5 cats monthly now. I used to only do it when I saw fleas, but one of my dogs is allergic to fleas now, so if so much as one flea bites him (even if I haven't actually seen any fleas on any of them) he will scratch and scratch and scratch for 2-3 weeks.

:eek::eek::eek:

You're brave! That's definetly not something I'd be doing!

I thought it would be bad too, because the pet store person told me you can't double up. So I specifically asked the vet, and she said it was fine.

Other than slightly more chemicals than necessary, I don't see how it would be bad? (Not saying it's not, if someone could explain it that would be great). They wouldn't have heartworms, because they've had the injection, so there will be no dead heartworms floating around causing clots....

Edited by fuzzy82

I thought it would be bad too, because the pet store person told me you can't double up. So I specifically asked the vet, and she said it was fine.

Other than slightly more chemicals than necessary, I don't see how it would be bad? (Not saying it's not, if someone could explain it that would be great). They wouldn't have heartworms, because they've had the injection, so there will be no dead heartworms floating around causing clots....

well as someone who does everything, heartworm, flea, intestinal worm treatments seperate, I am horrified that anyone thinks it's ok to double up on chemicals. Just goes against the grain. I'd never go to that vet again. It may not be bad for them, have never looked into it, but I would never ever do it. With all the stress on the body nowadays why add to it?

well as someone who does everything, heartworm, flea, intestinal worm treatments seperate, I am horrified that anyone thinks it's ok to double up on chemicals. Just goes against the grain. I'd never go to that vet again. It may not be bad for them, have never looked into it, but I would never ever do it. With all the stress on the body nowadays why add to it?

Yes, I'm shocked a vet would say that was ok to do. I would never double on any chemicals.

I'd never do the annual injection to begin with, just for the sheer overload of chemicals in one hit. But then to add to that extreme chemical overload but doubling up again :eek:

It's more than "slghtly more" chemicals than necessary - it's double.

Yes, I'm shocked a vet would say that was ok to do. I would never double on any chemicals.

That's the reason I wouldn't have the yearly heartworm shot either. 12 months worth in one lot. No thanks.

Guest Labradork

Years ago, I used to treat for fleas at the start and in the middle of summer. But now I don't treat at all (and I live in a sandy area and I have never had a flea problem).

And I used to de-worm twice a year, but now I'm planning to stop that completely and have faecal testing done.

And I don't use any Heartworm treatment at all because I live in a low risk area.

If there's no proof that it's bad and it's all just your personal opinion, then I see no reason to change it (nothing wrong with your personal opinion, it's just not scientific and proven).

My dog's bodies aren't under "a lot of stress already". I probably put more chemicals on my own body than theirs, in the form of shampoo/conditioner, moisturisers, skin scubs, sunscreen, makeup, over the counter painkillers, antihistamines etc. The dogs get one dose per month, and maybe a bath per month. Their bodies aren't stressed as far as I can tell. I don't quite understand why their bodies would be stressed?

I know two dogs personally who have ended up with health issues after the heartworm vaccination (one with autoimmune issues and the other with chronic muscle issues). Maybe it wasn't caused by the injection in either case but it was too soon afterwards for both dogs for me to ever trust it again!

Plus why pay the extra costs to give the injection if you are going to give the tablet anyway though?

Their bodies aren't stressed as far as I can tell. I don't quite understand why their bodies would be stressed?

My guess is that they need to metabolize chemicals that actually damage/kill other living beings.

Small doses , yes , however the chemicals are still 'poisons' and need to be processed by the liver & other organs, plus stored in bodyfat or wherever. ..and this a biological fact ...

I probably put more chemicals on my own body than theirs, in the form of shampoo/conditioner, moisturisers, skin scubs, sunscreen, makeup, over the counter painkillers, antihistamines etc

Using these is Your choice , though, and I guess you are aware of how your system is dealing with it all .

:)

I know two dogs personally who have ended up with health issues after the heartworm vaccination (one with autoimmune issues and the other with chronic muscle issues). Maybe it wasn't caused by the injection in either case but it was too soon afterwards for both dogs for me to ever trust it again!

Plus why pay the extra costs to give the injection if you are going to give the tablet anyway though?

Exactly - why bother with the injection in the first place if you know you're going to give heartworm tablets?

Edited by minimax

I give my guys Inteceptor monthly for worms and treat fleas only if they have them (not often) with Comfortis. I don't give them anything for ticks - they are staffords and have short hair and easy to look through and feel - which I do often. Have never seen a tick :)

Thanks for all the replies.

I read in another post that your dog wont get tapeworm if it does not have fleas so does that mean you don't need a tape wormer in the case you do use a product like advocate? I will treat for all worms to be safe.

Regarding ticks I am in the Bondi / Centennial Park area in Sydney.. I have tried to Google to see if it is a tick area.. I did not really find anything.. does anyone know if this area is affected by ticks?

Thanks for all the replies.

I read in another post that your dog wont get tapeworm if it does not have fleas so does that mean you don't need a tape wormer in the case you do use a product like advocate? I will treat for all worms to be safe.

Regarding ticks I am in the Bondi / Centennial Park area in Sydney.. I have tried to Google to see if it is a tick area.. I did not really find anything.. does anyone know if this area is affected by ticks?

Ring the Vet nearest to your home residence and ask how many cases of Paralysis tick poisoning they have treated in the past 12 months and enquire whether there is tick pressure in your immediate area. This will give you an accurate guide as to the tick pressure for your locality. If the number of cases is low, enquire whether these cases were from dogs that may have travelled away from the immediate area where they could have/would have acquired the ticks.