New Rescue

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is concerning to see these dogs being shuffled so soon after arriving and while they both have health issues, but more concerning that they are being advertised as adoptable in this condition, and have not been tested yet with small dogs.

and Lucky hasn't yet been desexed.

She was going to do it privately though, and just take on a dog or a few at a time, without actually registering an organisation. But come on - I'd ask my neighbours before even getting another dog, let alone operating a rescue (even if it was "private").

Things aren't always rosey. Good intentions and a love for dogs isn't enough, I wish people would bloody understand that. The dogs are the ones that suffer in the end.

Poor bloody dogs being moved around again - back and forth in Sydney with pound rounds, then down to Melbourne then moved back and forth - what a shame.

I really hope that's not true

Me too. :(

Well according to facebook, which as you know is gospel for everything :laugh: , Ina was saved from a Sydney pound by pound rounds, went to Amy's Angels, who then had fences blown down so pr took 'some greyhounds back' including Ina.

Then she came down last Thursday to this person in Melbourne, and then today

"We have had an emergency situation happen and are looking to see if anyone without cats has room for a greyhound to stay with them for a bit She is currently in a kennel but at $30 a day its going to be very expensive to keep her there. I am very upset about this situation and can just scream please let me know if you guys know of anyone we are in Victoria."

and from there it seems like she has gone to a local rescue group here in Melbourne.

And the other one Lucky is 'staying with a friend".

She was going to do it privately though, and just take on a dog or a few at a time, without actually registering an organisation. But come on - I'd ask my neighbours before even getting another dog, let alone operating a rescue (even if it was "private").

Things aren't always rosey. Good intentions and a love for dogs isn't enough, I wish people would bloody understand that. The dogs are the ones that suffer in the end.

Perhaps it's too breed specific? And a very sensitive and experience owner breed at that. Maybe they should have gone more generic mutt type rescue or littlies? Greylvr if you return to this thread, what was your reasoning behind a greyhound rescue and not an non breed specific rescue?

I think there are myriad things. I don't think it would have been any different if it were any other breed, or a more general rescue. You need to think things through before embarking on these things. Assuming everything will be ok isn't enough. It's not like there wasn't significant amounts of advice given here, or questions to think through - this forum can be such a great resource, but you have to actually use it.

It's making me angry just thinking about it. I just went and bathed a dog to distract myself from this thread. Sigh. I still really hope Greylvr comes in here and we're all mistaken and it was actually a different dog, or something. And that she's still got them and is going to rehome them.

I think there are myriad things. I don't think it would have been any different if it were any other breed, or a more general rescue. You need to think things through before embarking on these things. Assuming everything will be ok isn't enough. It's not like there wasn't significant amounts of advice given here, or questions to think through - this forum can be such a great resource, but you have to actually use it.

It's making me angry just thinking about it. I just went and bathed a dog to distract myself from this thread. Sigh. I still really hope Greylvr comes in here and we're all mistaken and it was actually a different dog, or something. And that she's still got them and is going to rehome them.

if what was said on FB was true then no, Greylvr does not have the dogs anymore. Ina is with another person/rescue? Lucky with a friend of Greylvr's while another rescue/foster care is found for her. Both are not cat friendly and Ina is also not safe with small dogs, not sure about Lucky. Lucky is still entire. Both have health issues from what was said here and no paperwork.

It just makes it harder :/ It limits the number of homes they can go to, and where you can take them etc. Particularly when there is no shortage of greyhounds, and many ARE fine with small dogs. "Cat friendly" greys are snapped up much quicker, and some rescues seem to have waiting lists for them.

Some rescues won't adopt out greyhounds that aren't ok with small dogs, and some I'm sure don't even test properly.

It takes time to assess and rehab an ex-racer mup. They were never bred or raised to be a pet and some are not suitable to be adopted out. Older greyhounds especially need to be checked out thoroughly by a vet familiar with the breed. They come out of a kennel and can be quite institutionalised. Good greyhound foster programs allow the dog to make the transition with the minimum of stress.

Well either way at least they will be rehomed eventually as it's been said that they won't be PTS.

maybe, maybe not, who knows.

Do greys that are not good with little dogs usually get adopted?

I wouldn't adopt out a greyhound that was not tolerant of little dogs. It is too important to the greyhounds to take the chance. This is going to sound really harsh but, for the greater good, I'd PTS any greyhound that is not ok with little dogs. They don't have to live with one but you must be able to walk your greyhound down the street without it wanting to kill the little dog on the oppoiste side.

To me, greyhounds are up against it, though GAP, GSN, etc have done an huge job, plus all the other reputable rescues and their foster carers and the owners of these beautiful dogs. As a greyhound owner, even though not of adopted race dogs, I am always aware that my dogs behaviour is most likely being judged and commented on by the general public while we are out and about.

Well either way at least they will be rehomed eventually as it's been said that they won't be PTS.

I wouldn't adopt out a greyhound that was not tolerant of little dogs. It is too important to the greyhounds to take the chance. This is going to sound really harsh but, for the greater good, I'd PTS any greyhound that is not ok with little dogs. They don't have to live with one but you must be able to walk your greyhound down the street without it wanting to kill the little dog on the oppoiste side.

To me, greyhounds are up against it, though GAP, GSN, etc have done an huge job, plus all the other reputable rescues and their foster carers and the owners of these beautiful dogs. As a greyhound owner, even though not of adopted race dogs, I am always aware that my dogs behaviour is most likely being judged and commented on by the general public while we are out and about.

I agree with you 100% Rebanne. Great post.

Lord have mercy can you guys please please just stop with your hearsay. We have had an emergency and it is dealt with. We did talk to a ranger as a matter of fact one came to the house to talk with us. The neighbors are idiots and threw up a big stink shit happens right? Both dogs are safe. Ina is going to a greyhound rescue that I had networked with and she is happy to take her. Ina is desexed and on medication which this rescue knows about. Ina is not good with cats and hasnt been tested with small dogs the rescue knows this.

So tell me the problem with letting another rescue help you when you get into trouble. I am glad that you guys are so entertained at our stress.

We had a bad situation happen but between the tears, frustration and stress we made sure that the dogs came first and are ok.

Those that want to down us because of something that happened fine go for it I hope it makes you feel good about yourself and you can run around pounding your chests that you are the best thing since sliced bread good for you. The dogs are very important to use that is why Ina is going to another rescue that I can trust to do the right thing by her.

I hope nothing ever happens to those that are being so nasty and you ever need help because who knows maybe you will then be kicked around on the net.

Lucky is fine and the vet thinks she has been desexed due to the stitches she has.

I guess the next step is for you guys to run around and talk crap about us go for it we dont care. We wont stop helping the dogs because the drama queens want to start trouble. We are moving soon and will resume our rescue. Why dont you guys grow up and get off our facebook page because your only there to spy like little children then go tattle on us for anything we do to DOL

That's very true. Kind of like bull breed owners and rescuers. As one lady who works with bullies said to me a while back "There's too many good bulls breeds that need a home to focus on trying to fix a very DA one. While everyone is trying to fix this dog, there's one with perfect manners on the kill list being ignored."

No - it wasn't that post Rebanne was referring to.

It was posted in a greyhound FB group that there were issues with a neighbour and the dogs had to be moved ASAP, one was already in at boarding kennels - but the cost was an issue. My understanding is one is with a different neighbour or a friend, and one is going to another rescue. But that may be incorrect.

Oh, right.

We've also taken on dogs from other Rescues when they've felt they weren't properly equipped so I don't see a huge issue with that either. Whatever's best for the dog.

Ah but Plan B the drama queens just suck this up and I hate to think that people with so little compassion are working with rescues