Nz Rescue Dogs Learning To Drive

Perry's Mum

Jodie would go through every red light just to get from A to B because B means BALL.

Stevie would get stuck at KFC drive-through.

Max would be "ooh flashy light, must chase" to every headlight and tail light and brake light and traffic light and Boston would be causing all sorts of accidents with his lack of attention span and "look over there, shiny thing!" *swerveCRASH*

I love the premise behind this 'stunt'..showing that abandoned dogs have a purpose..what a lovely thing to flag and to do it so publicly is so clever. It clearly shows that dogs are not disposable entities....but clever, wonderful beings, which us well-advised DOLers knew already!

i am the fun police on this because i saw the story a few days back and just thought why? out on a farm this would be handy but other than that what is the point? we already know some dogs are amazing. if their spca is anything like our rspca i'd much rather those workers spent all that time and money helping more than 3 dogs. maybe if a farmer had taught his dog to drive the ute while he fed the sheep off the back i'd be excited by it but i'd hate to think of the spca diverting funds from saving and rehabilitating more animals for this. sorry everyone.

i am the fun police on this because i saw the story a few days back and just thought why? out on a farm this would be handy but other than that what is the point? we already know some dogs are amazing. if their spca is anything like our rspca i'd much rather those workers spent all that time and money helping more than 3 dogs. maybe if a farmer had taught his dog to drive the ute while he fed the sheep off the back i'd be excited by it but i'd hate to think of the spca diverting funds from saving and rehabilitating more animals for this. sorry everyone.

Oh I'm with you and think it's ridiculous and still can't believe the article is actually not a joke - it's just comical to think about it.

They're not into the serious business of teaching dogs how to drive so they can do driving 'work' somehow. They're rescue dogs and the SPCA is doing it as a once-only demonstration that abandoned dogs are as smart in learning, as any others.

It's showing potential to learn & be biddable, rather than potential to join humans as serious drivers.

SPCA Auckland Chief executive Christine Kalin said: ‘I think sometimes people think because they're getting an animal that's been abandoned that somehow it's a second-class animal.

‘The dogs have achieved amazing things in eight short weeks of training, which really shows with the right environment just how much potential all dogs from the SPCA have as family pets.’

The point is to show shelter dogs aren't thick, they're train-able animals.

Instead of being dirty about it, why not actually praise that promotion of shelter dogs is occuring even if it takes something quirky to get peoples interests.