Dog Going Crazy Over Next Door Noises

have a Maltese female who is almost 2 years old

I live in one side of a house and another family occupys the otherside.

As it was once one whole house - there is a door that brings in more noise from them than usual

It has been empty for sometime, but now a family has moved in last sunday (4 days ago), they are not excessively noisy

but my dog is going crazy

The tiniest noise that not even i can hardly here, she starts pacing and painting and being really stupid, trying to dig her way behind the couch and tv

Of a night, she is continually under my bed, walking around moving everything, scratching boxes, the walls, doors anything.

No matter how much i tell her off and put her on her bed, she immediately begins doing it again.

She usually sleeps on my bed the entire night with no problems, but now she is too busy being silly and keeping me awake all night, to the point where i just

want to put her in the backyard and let her run away

I tried tying her on her leash so she couldnt move around everywhere, but this just made her worse. i tried putting her in the bathroom, but she starting yelping and destroying everything in there also

Please help as i dont have any idea what to do

It is a rented premises and i cant have her ripping up the carpet, doors and walls

She is not home alone during the day, she comes to work with me, she is walked every day, so is not lacking exercise

Also she is not really afraid of anything else, thunderstorms, trains (we live next to a train line)

Help!

Have you introduced her to the new neighbours? Maybe that will stop her curiosity about the new sounds and smells coming from over there...

T.

Yes she did meet them and went crazy - jumping all over them, yelping etc (thats another problem altogether - haha) as i hate her greeting people like this

Get some DAP - you can plug it in to the area where she's sleeping. You can also get a spray and put it on a bandanna.

I'm sorry you feel you want to let her outside to run away - that's not going to be dealing with the problem - would you do it to a crying child? I doubt it. When problems like this crop up they are annoying but you are doing the right thing by asking for advice, it's an adjustment period. I'm sure she will get better but are you shouting at her or punishing her in some way? This would increase her anxiety.

It sounds like you need to train your dog better, have you done any formal training?

Is your behaviour creating further anxiety for her (separation anxiety etc). It's often our behaviour that creates issues with our dogs.

Edited by dogmad

she starts pacing and painting and being really stupid,

:( Not stupid .. very scared and stressed. It sounds difficult for you both .

With this behaviour, and her way of greeting people ..it sounds like you may benefit from seeing a good recommended professional behaviourist , who will be able to assess her , and then give you ideas/skills to help manage :)

if you let us know where you live (city/town) I'm sure someone can give you a name or two to contact..

You could try some counter-conditioning to the noises neighbours are making, such as this vid where they work with the other dogs barking.

http://http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%26v%3DDd7DagsIUvE&h=4AQGgPlHjAQGke7YYx6Jv47iePePMMqeBqFXJEQOnLmsJBw&s=1

Edited by Jigsaw