How Much Is Fair To Board A Pup For 2 Weeks

mini girl

I was unable to pick up Stella until she was 12 weeks old. Her breeder made it quite clear that she didn't have a problem looking after her for that bit longer at no extra cost to me. I had already paid for her in full at 10 weeks of age.

If I did board my guys at our local establishment I think it is about $30 per day. $12 sounds suspiciously cheap to me.

Edited by BC Crazy

No boarding kennel will take the pup as its underage & not fully vacc so in this scenario there isn't alot of options .

We run boarding kennel s& wouldn't take a pup that age .

$12 may seem cheap to some but it isn't a boarding kennel .

I woud suggest though that the new owners sign a boarding agreement that covers the basics about payment & any vet bills etc etc

I was unable to pick up Stella until she was 12 weeks old. Her breeder made it quite clear that she didn't have a problem looking after her for that bit longer at no extra cost to me. I had already paid for her in full at 10 weeks of age.

If I did board my guys at our local establishment I think it is about $30 per day. $12 sounds suspiciously cheap to me.

Suspiciously cheap?

I foster rescue pups for nothing... *grin*

However, if we get new owners who are unable to take their pup at the time of adoption, I charge them $10/day for "boarding" - and the money goes to the rescue as a donation. This is mainly due to the fact that while an adopted pup is staying at my place, I may not be able to have more pups in my care for the rescue. I haven't had any complaints from adopters about the "boarding" fee either... in fact, I've been offered more for the "service"...

Quite frankly, you are going to have a young pup in your care over the Christmas period - a time when you probably will have to curtail your own celebrations in order to be available to feed and toilet the pup at regular intervals at the very least... no going out carousing until all hours of the evening, etc... $12/day is VERY reasonable I think!

T.

It is the breeders responsibility to keep the dog for the extra two weeks.

That would common practice.

My pups are not homed until 10 weeks anyway.

So, you should be negotiating with the breeder.

Personally I would not be charging a fee but I cannot see how the breeder would not give you something, gratefully.

What I would do is ensure there is a complete understanding that in the event of some misadventure you have covered all your bases. The puppy could fall, be stolen get lost, whatever.

And, since the breeder is a friend I don't think there should be a fee.

It is the breeders responsibility to keep the dog for the extra two weeks.

That would common practice.

My pups are not homed until 10 weeks anyway.

So, you should be negotiating with the breeder.

Personally I would not be charging a fee but I cannot see how the breeder would not give you something, gratefully.

What I would do is ensure there is a complete understanding that in the event of some misadventure you have covered all your bases. The puppy could fall, be stolen get lost, whatever.

And, since the breeder is a friend I don't think there should be a fee.

Your post seems full of contradictions Tralee. Many breeds go to their new homes at 8 weeks, so surely it is the new owners responsibility to have plans in place for the pups care from then onwards. In this case it sounds as though the breeder was due to go away after homing the puppies (heaven forbid a breeder should have a life). I know many breeders will accommodate helping out puppy buyers but in this case perhaps the breeder really can't?

In any case, Mini girl has offered to help out her friend and the puppy buyer by boarding the pup at a very reasonable rate. I think the puppy buyer should be grateful, I know I would be.

I do agree though that all bases need to be covered and there needs to be clear communication about responsibility for vet bills etc.