Dr Karen Overall's Protocol For Relaxation

I am working through some reactivity issues with my young lad at the moment, and have just picked up on the Relaxation Protocol as something to help us structure work in some increasingly distracting environments. He is not aggressive, but does get over-excited, especially by dogs that are in high drive, chasing balls etc.

We have just started. We are using the recordings I found on the web through my headphones which makes it very easy. He seems to be very comfortable with it at home, at the park and now also down at the beach (started there this morning - but we're only just starting).

The beach is a very distracting place for him, and we really need to work on his state of mind in that environment which is why I have started it there as well.

Has anyone else used it? How did you find it?

I get the impression that the idea is to do it ALL at home first, then ALL at a mild environment like a quiet park or the backyard, then start again and do it ALL in more distracting places etc. But I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly.

I've bent the rules a bit and have started (at day 1 and 2 etc.) in various environments. He finds it incredibly easy at home and in the yard and pretty easy so far at the park as well if no dogs are about. He did it fine, but I could tell he found it a lot harder at the beach with other dogs around the place (some of them off-lead, but none coming right up to us). We have only done day 1 at the beach. I don't want to push him too hard until he looks really comfortable.

Is it ok to reinterpret things in this way do you think? Or should I finish the whole thing at the park before I start working with him at the beach?

Just bear in mind it is absolutely GORGEOUS at Adelaide's beaches at present... :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did most of the steps at home. I found it good for improving their sit/stays around distractions, but not sure how it's going to help reactive dogs out in the real world. Even if you can get them to sit around other dogs, then what? The dog can't sit every time there's something scary around, or if he can, it will have fixed the problem only while he's sitting. Most dogs are more reactive when they're moving than when they're put in a stationary position.

So I don't get how it's supposed to work (but that could just be me). I would use it for obedience work, but for a reactive dog I would be using desensitisation and BAT.

I found it very good for my DA dog, it took me about 35 days at home as he has major separation anxiety and no previous training. I do some of the excercises out and about,luckily Jakes rubbish at reading so he doesn't know I'm not following in exact order. I think the rule would be to let your dog tell you what he's ready for, if he's doing it easily at the park then go the beach and just repeat the days he struggles with. I was really happy with it because it helped with the lunging, can't lunge whilst sitting and staying and I think by engaging a bit of self control you interrupt the escalating excitement. Lucky you with a beach to go to, I have beach envy now.

In some ways perhaps there is some cross-over with desensitisation, in the sense that it is giving him something else to focus on while he is near (but not too near) things that might otherwise distract him...?

Could it be part of a desensitisation approach do you think?

Or is this just me needing 'something to do' all the time? :o

It is a vey good protocol and if your dog gets stuck (I'm talking generally for anyone's dog), you can just keep on say Day 1 or Day 4 until the dog is more comfortable. I like it as it does give a good breakdown of what to do and how to do it, which makes it easier for compliance. Yes, doing it in different environments is ideal but it's important not to push too hard too quick in an environment the dog has been reactive in previously. It's a good exercise for self control especially as you start to work to moving out of sight and adding noise.

Thanks for your replies - yes we are lucky to have a beach to go to (we do have to drive there, but it's only 15 minutes away and well worth it - one of the joys of life)

Which is why I'm so keen for him to learn to like it as well. But it is always full of dogs having fun, most of them nice dogs but some of them a bit pushy and some downright rude, so it's quite a challenging environment really.

Glad to hear you've found it useful. And also that a bit of reinterpretation seems ok.

It reminds me of the 'couch to 5k' running program I did this year. You just download the audio, and do what you're told, when you're told. It makes it so easy!

Took Izzi to our vet/behaviourist & she put me onto that & it's working well, started with looking at me then rewarding any relaxed behaviour at home. She worries about other dogs so even took her to the vets waiting room & did some relaxation training there with good results. Trying to get the deep breath relaxation, her not me LOL, it hard to see her breath in so that's a work in progress, as you can guess I'm all for it :D .

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I thought it silly to create another.

I need to start this program. Any tips? I am finding it very daunting and I'm not quite sure why. ????

I think I'm mainly worried about inadvertently stuffing it up and not training the actual relaxation part. That and it looks like a massive undertaking. ????

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I've done this with a few clients. One thing I tell them to do is NOT over think it. Also go at your own pace - if it takes 3 days for you both to get through Day 1 that's perfectly OK. Start in a quiet room and then practice in different rooms. I really liked it as a structure to follow for some owners, particularly where the owner or dog couldn't leave the house. Good luck!

I read about it almost a year ago and have cobbled together bits and pieces of it into our daily life. I didn't follow the step-by-step of each day, but what I do use has been invaluable. Maybe I should go through the whole protocol, I can see lots of value in it.

I read about it almost a year ago and have cobbled together bits and pieces of it into our daily life. I didn't follow the step-by-step of each day, but what I do use has been invaluable. Maybe I should go through the whole protocol, I can see lots of value in it.

The nice thing about the protocol is that it builds layers of understanding, splitting behaviours down into their smallest parts - it's the way I love to train!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I gave it a go last night, but made mistakes before I even started.

1. Choosing the wrong place and time. Malcolm is more anxious at night and downstairs where he can see light reflections. I thought the treats would negate that but it probably wasn't enough.

2. Starting at all. It says to stop if the dog is concerned, but Mal was trembling before we even started. I thought he'd stop shaking as we got going but no.

Sorry Mal. :(

We got to the first of the 15 second stays, so about 1/3 way through Task/Day 1 (they are called task sets in my handout). At that point he kept readjusting his sit thinking that it wasn't good enough to earn the reward. He knows stay though, so I'm not sure why that happened. Perhaps it was all just too much. I stopped it there and asked him for a high five. He thinks (well I assume from body language) that high fives are a lot of fun, so we ended on a good note and with a bunch of treats. :)

I'll try again today during be daytime as see how we go, and get back to our VB if still struggling. I did learn that the shaking lessened if I talked and gave him more feedback/reassurance.

We've done a bit better today. To start he was a bit jack in the boxy, but then he got so bored he went and sat in his bed and then laid down. :laugh:

He only started trembling at the stage of counting out loud to 20, so I back tracked, did some easy things and stopped.

I need to re-read the handout another 5 times so so. It's a lot to take in and remember, and my brain is a little foggy as it is.

I'm also a bit confused because it says if your dog is laying down that's a good thing, but if you're telling him to sit doesn't that confuse the dog about what the word sit means? I substituted 'stay'. But that's probably doing it wrong. I guess it's time to re-read the handout again, lol.

We did it! We completed Task/Day 1. It took three attempts — I wasn't able to do it yesterday due to business.

I am going to repeat it again tomorrow as I'd like him more relaxed before challenging him further. He was not quite as relaxed today as we were out of good-but-not-overly-exciting treats, and I was using the best treat in the world.

Fifth go at Day 1 today. I'm not sure if my criteria to move on is too high, but there was zero shaking today and only maybe 5 or 6 instances of getting up (some were my fault). I want to see less breaking and a little more of a relaxed expression before going up a level.

He's feeling a little heavy, lol. I think I need to cut back on kibble.