Bear

Although I have mentioned Bear here on DOL before, I don't think I have ever introduced him properly. Bear (aka Rex by Mum) was one of my very first rescues from Blacktown pound back in Feb of 2009. I went to the pound to find Mum a new companion after she lost her 16yr old chi and came home with a dingo and a shepherd. :o

Little I knew that trip to the pound that day would change my life forever. It was the day I began rescuing. :)

Bear went straight to live with Mum and has spent the past 4 years (well almost 4 yrs) being spoiled a little too much, and loved by Mum.

Sadly Mums circumstances changed (long story) and she was unable to care for Bear anymore. :( So I bought him home about 4 or 5 weeks ago.

I was a little worried at first that Alaska wouldn't take to another dog living in her quarters but they took to one another as though they'd known each other forever and have been getting on great ever since. :) And although they are both 9 years old, they play and carry on as though they are pups. :laugh:

He loves to play fetch, loves water and is fantastic with the kids. I knew that already though as the kids got to see a fair bit of him while he lived at Mums. He is also a very smart boy and very affectionate too, and loves cuddles.

Bear became extremely overweight living with Mum though. :( I begged Mum more than once not to overfeed him, but he reguarly dined on cooked steaks, roast chicken and the like.

I asked her time and time again to just feed him raw meat and to cut down on his meal sizes but she'd never listen. :( It was so frustrating. Everytime I would visit he would be getting fatter and fatter. I honestly thought his belly would explode in the end or that his hips or heart would give way. :( Mum may of meant well but in reality she was slowly killing him with kindness.

I am happy to say though that the weight is coming off. :thumbsup: I have had him on a strict diet and can see a waistline now and can finally feel his ribs! :)

Mum would also tell me that he would turn his nose up to raw meat/bones, (no wonder when he's got a never ending plate of cooked steak sitting there!), but he has eaten raw for me from day 1, and loves it. :)

Anyways, without further ado, here is Bear. :)

When he first came home last month.

8210049473_815a1c85ed.jpg

8210049509_0e7e8e34e4.jpg

8210049537_87ea37033f.jpg

8210049565_5121b7b14a.jpg

8210049605_e9174efc54.jpg

8206974543_f65ac54cd9.jpg

Taken about a week ago. You can see his waist!

8244288784_ae5db418ea.jpg

And this one taken this afternoon. :)

It's easy to feel his ribs now. :thumbsup: I have also had to re-adjust his collar twice these past couple weeks because it was getting too loose on him.

8277267428_5688eab7c0.jpg

Edited by k9angel

What a gorgeous looking dog, he doesn't look 9 years at all!

He looks like a totally different guy in the last photo, well done on getting him into ship shape so quickly, I'm sure he feels 100% better not having to lug the extra chub around.

he's a beauty! we just realised my sister's husky/gsd cross is 9 and not 8 and she has not had any health niggles and i put it down to her always being on the lean side. no hip or joint probs and she still zoomies with the others. i really think weight is a big issue for a lot of dogs. good on you for getting on top of bear's weight so quickly! :thumbsup: