What's Wrong With My Girl?

A week after Bella's second chemo treatment, she was at the Emergency vet with a high fever. Apparently her white blood count dropped dramatically and some infection took hold of her. After 36 hours in hospital and countless different tests, they still don't know what the infection was. She was treated with a broad spectrum anti-biotic and after a day and a half her fever was back to normal and I took her home with more anti-biotics. This was last week Saturday. She has slowly regained some strength and most of her appetite but there is something wrong and I was wondering whether any of you had any ideas.

Her right eye is not normal, she holds it wide open when trying to focus, especially when someone's moving towards her. It's also quite light sensitive. She cocks her head to the left, again when trying to focus on something. When taking a treat out of my hand, she's off centre, ie she tries to take it a little to the left of where it actually is. She doesn't walk totally straight and when she gets excited she's clumsy, tripping over things or slipping to the floor. She has also not wagged her tail since she fell ill. It's almost as though something happened in her brain or is affecting her equilibrium. It's very hard to describe but this is not my girl.

Does anyone have experience with this? She is due back to the oncology dept for follow up tests which I'm dreading as I don't want to put her through more discomfort.

It's so hard seeing a bouncy, full of life dog like this. It breaks my heart.

Thanks guys!

We spent 6 months doing chemo for Ollie and there were ups and downs and plateaus.

Did they test her white blood cell count the day before doing the chemo?

Our vet used to test the day before chemo and if all was well, chemo went ahead - if not, we missed a session until his cell count was at a suitable level for treatment.

Are you supplementing her with anything or is she just doing the chemo protocol?

We saw a holistic vet at the same time a the oncologist. Ollie had a few supplements that helped him cope with the rigors of chemo.

If in doubt, call the vet - waste no time. You know her better than the vets, if she doesn't seem right, don't wait..

I hope she feels better.

We spent 6 months doing chemo for Ollie and there were ups and downs and plateaus.Did they test her white blood cell count the day before doing the chemo?Our vet used to test the day before chemo and if all was well, chemo went ahead - if not, we missed a session until his cell count was at a suitable level for treatment.Are you supplementing her with anything or is she just doing the chemo protocol?We saw a holistic vet at the same time a the oncologist. Ollie had a few supplements that helped him cope with the rigors of chemo.If in doubt, call the vet - waste no time. You know her better than the vets, if she doesn't seem right, don't wait..I hope she feels better.

Hi Staffyluv, you and Ollie certainly did have a tough time of it. Yes, they test the white blood cell count before each treatment and it was perfect last time. I asked them about supplements and I was told that nothing has been proven to help. I do have her on a multi-vitamin, liver detox tablets, and fish oil capsules. I have also upped the amount of tuna and sardines she gets and she has yoghurt to help her stomach.

:( sorry.i don't know much about chemo ..or where your dog's cancer is , but it does sound like something has happened brain wise.A vet appointment fairly soon would be my suggestion

Hi pers, her cancer is wherever there is a blood supply. The last ultrasound found lesions in her lungs and kidneys which is why we started the chemo.

I mentioned the eye thing to the oncologist and he basically told me to bring her in if she doesn't improve. The other symptoms have become more noticeable as she has gained strength and is trying to do more. I will make an appointment for tomorrow.

I appreciate your input.

Our vet and oncologist told me the same thing but in all honesty, Ollie lived more than 5 years longer than they said he would.

I do believe the chemo is what gave him that longevity but I also believe that the supplements are what helped him stay well during the treatments.

What you have her on sounds fine but I would suggest at least talking to an holistic vet and discussing her chemo protocol as they might have even better suggestions for you.

Ollie's cancer was also systemic and found in his lymph nodes away from the main tumour site.

There is always hope..

I agree with pers - the eye thing could be a brain issue so back to the vets asap.

Our vet used to call us for a few days after each treatment to see how he was going.

He even resorted to giving me his mobile number once (bet he wishes he didn't do that) and said to call anytime if Ollie goes downhill over night..

hi sl, Bella's oncologist also phones a couple of days after treatment to check up on her. Her turn for the worse came a week after treatment. I got home at 5:15pm from work and by 5:45pm I had her at my local vet. She saw Bella's temperature (41.5 instead of the normal 39) and sent me to the Emergency vet (which is also where the oncology dept is). They suspected pneumonia because she was struggling to breath but x-rays showed her lungs were clear so they did heaps of other tests.

I don't have the onco's mob number (he's smarter than that :) ) but the emergency vet would be able to get hold of him if necessary.

I have made an appointment to take her in tomorrow evening. Time to look up some holistic vets too.

I'll post an update when I have it.

We were always told if anything was going to happen (temp and infection) it would be between 3-5 days after treatment.

Good luck with the vet visit, I hope she feels better soon.

Cool fluids (chicken stock iceblocks) are a great idea when they don't feel well.

well that vet visit was a waste of time. I have been emailing the oncologists that I was concerned about Bella's eyes and balance and they basically brushed it off until they saw her on Tuesday. That's when they realised I wasn't just a panicky, over-sensitive owner. So it could either be the aftermath of the infection she had or the cancer has spread to her brain. Apparently the chemo drugs she is on do not cross over to the brain so if it is cancer, chemo won't help. The only way to know what this is for certain is to put her through an MRI which includes having her anaesthetised for over an hour or letting them do a series of neurological tests on her which would take half a day of pestering and prodding her.

I think she's had enough. If this is from the infection, it might improve on its own. If it's the cancer, it will kill her, haemangiosarcoma is a painless cancer, I've been told. I see no point in putting her through senseless tests. I will make her life as good as I can, I will work with her to see if we can improve her cognition. Hopefully she will regain the missing part of her vision, otherwise we will all learn to live with it as it is.

For all I know, she picked something up from the emergency vet when her immune system was so suppressed. I guess I'll never know. I have been feeling really cross today, after all the surgeries and tests and chemo she's endured these past 8 months, now she has to deal with this.

I'm rambling. I'm sorry. I just wish I knew how to help her. At least she still loves her food...that's my girl!

Oh poor girl. Hopefully it is an infection and she will improve.

You have every right to be angry - I would be furious over the way you were fobbed off.

I thought that chemo just bombarded the whole system, killing any fast growing cells whereas radiation was a targeted treatment, aimed directly at the tumour site..

I am so sorry for you, Hemangiosarcoma is a very nasty aggressive cancer and there are no symptoms till it's too late and is always fatal. I lost my beautiful Tara to this bastard of a cancer just over a year ago and it was so quick,she was only 8yrs 7mths old.

You must not blame yourself because there's nothing you can do, this cancer is common in GSD's and when they get this the kindest thing to do for her is put them to sleep.

Tara was healthy all her short life and I still can't believe she's gone and I still miss her and always will,but I know I did the right thing for her.

Edited by tarope

thank you all for the advice, wishes and hugs.

Unfortunately my girl is with the angels tonight. It all got too much for her. The lovely vet and equally lovely vet nurse came to the house, they reckon she didn't appear to have much time left in her anyway. We are devastated and the tears are flowing. The house is just so empty without her.

Thanks again, DOL is a great support.

Rest in Peace my beautiful princess.

well that vet visit was a waste of time. I have been emailing the oncologists that I was concerned about Bella's eyes and balance and they basically brushed it off until they saw her on Tuesday. That's when they realised I wasn't just a panicky, over-sensitive owner. So it could either be the aftermath of the infection she had or the cancer has spread to her brain. Apparently the chemo drugs she is on do not cross over to the brain so if it is cancer, chemo won't help. The only way to know what this is for certain is to put her through an MRI which includes having her anaesthetised for over an hour or letting them do a series of neurological tests on her which would take half a day of pestering and prodding her.

I think she's had enough. If this is from the infection, it might improve on its own. If it's the cancer, it will kill her, haemangiosarcoma is a painless cancer, I've been told. I see no point in putting her through senseless tests. I will make her life as good as I can, I will work with her to see if we can improve her cognition. Hopefully she will regain the missing part of her vision, otherwise we will all learn to live with it as it is.

For all I know, she picked something up from the emergency vet when her immune system was so suppressed. I guess I'll never know. I have been feeling really cross today, after all the surgeries and tests and chemo she's endured these past 8 months, now she has to deal with this.

I'm rambling. I'm sorry. I just wish I knew how to help her. At least she still loves her food...that's my girl!

What kind of 'chemo' are they using?

the nano cell therapy is far less damaging to your dogs body and FAR more damaging to the cancer. Ive seen the results for brain tumours and its extraordinary.

theres a vet near them who has done a lot of work with brain cancer and non hodgsons lymphoma. its been so successfull in remission in dogs its now been released for human trials.

a friends oncolagist told her he cant wait for the day its the first line of defence instead of the last.

they had had dogs with clear MRI'S after treating them for brain cancer and still in remission 12 months later and still clear. amazing and two aussies discovered it..

yay.

http://www.engeneic.com/edv_technology.html

here is australia's very own dynamic duo Jenny and Himanshu

http://www.engeneic.com/profile.html

Australian Story , has done two about them and their discovery.

best wishes for your girl.., are you in sydey? the vet who has done a lot of work with the nanocells is in land cove I understand Not too far from their lab.

Edited by asal

thank you all for the advice, wishes and hugs.

Unfortunately my girl is with the angels tonight. It all got too much for her. The lovely vet and equally lovely vet nurse came to the house, they reckon she didn't appear to have much time left in her anyway. We are devastated and the tears are flowing. The house is just so empty without her.

Thanks again, DOL is a great support.

Rest in Peace my beautiful princess.

OH am so sorry, I put my previous post not realising you had lost her. We are in mourning tonight, our daughters horse benny had to be put down, at only 23, we could see something was wrong but not what, the vet said his system was shutting down, better he be put down before he began to suffer. lots of tears here tonight. RIP benni