Another One Bites The Dust

Steve

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. Its good that some clubs have branched out a bit and bought in people and their dogs which are not interested in showing and sometimes the breed politics and the egos make it difficult for some to feel they fit in or to feel appreciated .

There may be a case for having a club with sub group of those who arent interested in show dogs and are looking to be involved for fun days and social do's etc but the screaming reality is historically breed clubs are supposed to be about a focus on showing especially in breeds that dog have a working purpose. Its the breed club which is expected to communicate with the ANKC regarding issues in the breed - requirements for registrations etc . Ordinary stand alone breed enthusiasts cant communicate with the ANKC and expect much response without the club. Its the breed club which probide info regarding grooming and preparation for showing particular to the breed to new people, its the breed club which is supposed to provide social bonding at ringside and encourage those purchasing a main register dog to have a go and offer advice on breeding etc. Its the breed club and not the ANKC who are responsible for promoting the breed and the benefits of owning one.

There is no such thing as a club where everyone is going to get along - some will stay some wont .There is no such thing where everyone feels they are sharing in the work load equally - where some dont feel under appreciated or over worked. The basic structure and methology for selection of office bearers ensures that its a democratic choice and that will sometimes make people feel they have been ganged up on and voted out , and feel they have worked tirelessly for nothing. None of this is anything new or peculiar only to breed clubs. Its the way it is for all clubs

Its all well and good to stand back and assume its an endemic problem with the ANKC or whatever your personal belief is about what is wrong with the purebred dog world but its pretty difficult to see much evidence that anything much has changed other than there are less breeders. less being bred and less showing , less who are passionate enough for the future of the breed to put themselves out a bit or put up with someone they dont like much ,less coming into the breed to share the work load and take over when those before them burn out ,less who want to bring any kind of attention on themselves and less who feel like they are seen to be doing something worth while rather than being treated by animal rights loonies as pond scum.

We need more good purebred breeders, we need more purebred puppies being bred we need more pats on the back than stabs in the back ,we need a club room of breeders whether they decide to show or not or breed clubs and some breeds will be a thing of the past.

O.K. Its good that some clubs have branched out a bit and bought in people and their dogs which are not interested in showing and sometimes the breed politics and the egos make it difficult for some to feel they fit in or to feel appreciated .

There may be a case for having a club with sub group of those who arent interested in show dogs and are looking to be involved for fun days and social do's etc but the screaming reality is historically breed clubs are supposed to be about a focus on showing especially in breeds that dog have a working purpose. Its the breed club which is expected to communicate with the ANKC regarding issues in the breed - requirements for registrations etc . Ordinary stand alone breed enthusiasts cant communicate with the ANKC and expect much response without the club. Its the breed club which probide info regarding grooming and preparation for showing particular to the breed to new people, its the breed club which is supposed to provide social bonding at ringside and encourage those purchasing a main register dog to have a go and offer advice on breeding etc. Its the breed club and not the ANKC who are responsible for promoting the breed and the benefits of owning one.

There is no such thing as a club where everyone is going to get along - some will stay some wont .There is no such thing where everyone feels they are sharing in the work load equally - where some dont feel under appreciated or over worked. The basic structure and methology for selection of office bearers ensures that its a democratic choice and that will sometimes make people feel they have been ganged up on and voted out , and feel they have worked tirelessly for nothing. None of this is anything new or peculiar only to breed clubs. Its the way it is for all clubs

Its all well and good to stand back and assume its an endemic problem with the ANKC or whatever your personal belief is about what is wrong with the purebred dog world but its pretty difficult to see much evidence that anything much has changed other than there are less breeders. less being bred and less showing , less who are passionate enough for the future of the breed to put themselves out a bit or put up with someone they dont like much ,less coming into the breed to share the work load and take over when those before them burn out ,less who want to bring any kind of attention on themselves and less who feel like they are seen to be doing something worth while rather than being treated by animal rights loonies as pond scum.

We need more good purebred breeders, we need more purebred puppies being bred we need more pats on the back than stabs in the back ,we need a club room of breeders whether they decide to show or not or breed clubs and some breeds will be a thing of the past.

If you want more bums on seats for pedigree dogs you have have a higher ideal.

There ARE too many dangerous,nuisance dogs.Too many unplanned or poor planned litters with no ready homes or not suitable to be homed,and homes that shouldn't even consider a dog.

They don't come from backyard breeders OR pedigree breeders, or DD breeders,petshop or cross breeders.

They come from a community ill prepared to make choices in the best interest of mans 1st true companion species,with the ideal of KEEPING them a true companion species.

That higher ideal is very complimentary to pedigree breeders.

I think you would find the biggest voices promoting cross breeding are commercial interests and their audience.

Pure breeds,historicaly sell themselves,or wouldn't be here but theres more to that higher ideal than pedigrees.Pedigree alone doesn't allow for that ideal.

While you deny that,you are not in a position to mentor or engage the community who so badly need it.

There ARE too many dangerous,nuisance dogs.Too many unplanned or poor planned litters with no ready homes or not suitable to be homed,and homes that shouldn't even consider a dog.

They don't come from backyard breeders OR pedigree breeders, or DD breeders,petshop or cross breeders.

They come from a community ill prepared to make choices in the best interest of mans 1st true companion species,with the ideal of KEEPING them a true companion species.

I think you would find the biggest voices promoting cross breeding are commercial interests and their audience.

Pure breeds,historicaly sell themselves,or wouldn't be here but theres more to that higher ideal than pedigrees.Pedigree alone doesn't allow for that ideal.

While you deny that,you are not in a position to mentor or engage the community who so badly need it.

Purebreeds still sell themselves and this isnt about higher ideals its about common ideals. It isnt about what is wrong with the community or where other dogs come from should or should not come from. They are whole other issues .This is about purebreds and pedigrees and dog shows and the need to realise the errors in limiting gene pools, and making it so difficult for new people to buy a purebred main register dog who may become passionate enough about the breed to have a go.

Stop expecting so much from them - its not their job to take on the bloody ills of society and the wombats who want to breed cross bred or any other dog. Its not their job to educate people on responsible dog ownership or any other higher ideal .Its enough for them to worry about their own dogs, their own breeds and their own decisions.

Purebreeds still sell themselves and this isnt about higher ideals its about common ideals. It isnt about what is wrong with the community or where other dogs come from should or should not come from. They are whole other issues .This is about purebreds and pedigrees and dog shows and the need to realise the errors in limiting gene pools, and making it so difficult for new people to buy a purebred main register dog who may become passionate enough about the breed to have a go.

Stop expecting so much from them - its not their job to take on the bloody ills of society and the wombats who want to breed cross bred or any other dog. Its not their job to educate people on responsible dog ownership or any other higher ideal .Its enough for them to worry about their own dogs, their own breeds and their own decisions.

I don't see them as whole other issues.

I see the same basic issues as tied to whats happening to the breed clubs.

I don't expect its the KCs job to take on the ills of society.

I do think they hold themselves apart and distinct in promoting pure breeds as the only responsible,ethical choice and that it alienates people who feel their choices are being eroded.

I think that alienation helps to keep us all unbalanced,and less able to tackle the problems you mention because of it.

I believe finding and working with the common ideals from the start would see more people gravitating back to the breed clubs.

I agree pedigree dogs still do sell themselves.Clubs don't,and thats what people feel they are being pushed into,before they have a chance to know if membership is even going to provide what they personaly want from their association with dogs.

Or maybe I've got this all wrong,but if you realy want to know what turns people away,its one answer.

If Its all about pedigrees,and dog shows and the need to limit gene pools,or the dificulty buying a pure bred main registered,then some of us hope for more than membership allows.

Edited by moosmum

I do think they hold themselves apart and distinct in promoting pure breeds as the only responsible,ethical choice and that it alienates people who feel their choices are being eroded.

I think that alienation helps to keep us all unbalanced,and less able to tackle the problems you mention because of it.

I believe finding and working with the common ideals from the start would see more people gravitating back to the breed clubs.

I agree pedigree dogs still do sell themselves.Clubs don't,and thats what people feel they are being pushed into,before they have a chance to know if membership is even going to provide what they personaly want from their association with dogs.

Or maybe I've got this all wrong,but if you realy want to know what turns people away,its one answer.

If Its all about pedigrees,and dog shows and the need to limit gene pools,or the dificulty buying a pure bred main registered,then some of us hope for more than membership allows.

I understand you feel its the same issue and I agree there are issues which need to be addressed separately and that of course each will impact but I think you miss the main issue and misunderstand what a breed club's purpose is. Some people will feel they are being alienated all groups will feel the need to justify and promote themselves over any other - thats the way of the world not just the dog world . They don't need to find and work with common ideals because those who have traditionally been involved in breed clubs already have common ideals .They breed and show a breed of purebred dogs ,they see themselves as the guardians of their particular breed. Some may be better business people, have more energy or time and encourage pet owners , have fun days, do a bit better at promotion etc etc but the basic core of a purebred breed club is the betterment and maintenance of the breed. Like it or not it is all about pedigrees and dog shows and closed gene pools and health and testing etc and its why I'm never likely to have another go at joining one but that doesnt mean I dont appreciate the need for them or the service they provide to their breed. I know what turns people away - it turned me away but its a numbers game . If there are less breeders, less people showing, less puppies being bred less people passionate enough for a breed to look outside their own back yard and work for it generally and less main register dogs available to enable new people to have a go then there are less likely to be suited to the job.

What to do about the bigger picture is needing to be addressed as well but to start with we need more purebred breeders breeding more purebred dogs and selling them to more people on main register.

Of course they hold themselves apart and distinct in promoting pure breeds as the only responsible ethical choice .If they didn't believe it they wouldn't breed them .Why on earth would you expect them to consider what they do equal to and not better than what others do ? It is them that are feeling their choices are being eroded ,them that are feeling under attack and people who don't have a clue what it takes to consistently generation after generation breed dogs which are predictable,well temperament ed and which are tested and surveyed and scored and prodded and poked to try to make every generation healthier than the last others don't have to agree with them or want to do what they do but surely you aren't asking that they let people in who have a radically different philosophy and pretend they see them as equals to get bums on seats? If you want to join a club you either have the same interests and beliefs or you start your own club or join a different club - that's what I did - and if some clubs weren't seen to be better than others by different people why would we need them?

Many of us can agree with every thing the breed clubs are trying to do and stand for and would happily work tirelessly for a breed,and promote pedigrees above all else.They certainly consider them equal,and mostly better.

They just don't believe pedigrees are always THE only ethical,responsible choice.What will be the opposite reaction? Is the opposite reaction maybe whats causing some of those problems within?

They believe from looking out side their out their own backyards that pedigrees can't be truely appreciated,or their qualities recognised by discarding every thing else out of hand before that half of the science is understood or even recognised, and that new breeds,created by communities for current needs are necessary for evolution of the partnership.

They don't believe dog breeding is always better if its overseen by committes from the start,so that experimentation and individual choice is stiffled.

That throwing away the root stock will ensure success,especialy considering the problems within that you mentioned.Or that pedigree dogs with ever decreasing gene pools are always going to be the likely source for finding any new qualities or traits to value.

So it becomes a conscience decision and every one looses.

If it about promoting pedigree dogs,We're all for it,but not if that means destroying every thing else and that seems to be whats asked. Its all or nothing and that vision isn't enough.

Edited by moosmum

Many of us can agree with every thing the breed clubs are trying to do and stand for and would happily work tirelessly for a breed,and promote pedigrees above all else.They certainly consider them equal,and mostly better.

They just don't believe pedigrees are always THE only ethical,responsible choice.What will be the opposite reaction? Is the opposite reaction maybe whats causing some of those problems within?

They believe from looking out side their out their own backyards that pedigrees can't be truely appreciated,or their qualities recognised by discarding every thing else out of hand before that half of the science is understood or even recognised, and that new breeds,created by communities for current needs are necessary for evolution of the partnership.

They don't believe dog breeding is always better if its overseen by committes from the start,so that experimentation and individual choice is stiffled.

That throwing away the root stock will ensure success,especialy considering the problems within that you mentioned.Or that pedigree dogs with ever decreasing gene pools are always going to be the likely source for finding any new qualities or traits to value.

So it becomes a conscience decision and every one looses.

If it about promoting pedigree dogs,We're all for it,but not if that means destroying every thing else and that seems to be whats asked. Its all or nothing and that vision isn't enough.

If they didn't believe pedigrees were THE only ethical and responsible choice then why would they be interested in being a member of a breed club? Why would you want anyone who didnt think that being anywhere near something thats set up to protect that?

Why would they care what anyone else looking outside of their back yards think and you're talking about general attitudes to new breed development, cross breeding, closed stud books, etc which is a totally different issue to what the purpose of a breed club is. Why would a rugby player want to work to make an AFL club successful? why would the AFL club want them if they were only there to get everyone to play their game?

Honestly, moosmum, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

:laugh: Oh well,questions were asked and I stuck my neck out to try and give my answer.

I'll leave it there.

Which tells me nothing ... You seem to be saying registered breeders should shoulder responsibility for every dog and I find that confusing.

Me either. I want my breed clubs to focus on the breed and nothing else. Not on all pure breeds, not on all dogs, just their own responsibilities, the breed community, the breed as a whole and any individual of the breed that needs help, breed health, history and expertise, a voice for the breed, a public face for the breed and an organiser of breed events. Done well, that is a great deal.

Edited by Diva

Me either. I want my breed clubs to focus on the breed and nothing else. Not on all pure breeds, not on all dogs, just their own responsibilities, the breed community, the breed as a whole and any individual of the breed that needs help, breed health, history and expertise, a voice for the breed, a public face for the breed and an organiser of breed events. Done well, that is a great deal.

If a breed club focuses on all breeds then what is the point of it being a breed club?

Or are we not to have breeds? Is that what moosmum is saying? confused.gif

If a registry doesn't have a breed club to liaise with on what is to be mandatory/ recommended testing, changes to breed standard interpretations registration requirements etc then their ability to keep up with what is needed and required is non existent. With no breed club who is watching out for genetic issues that may show up or may need to be addressed etc? Think it through the registry cant just take notice of what everyone who has an idea or belief or interest has to say - there has to be some kind of protocol and system or the registry would blow up and be beaten by breed politics and the like. If you want to see change and promotion and advocacy of a breed the only place thats ever going to come from is the breed clubs .The registry is there to promote the concept of pedigreed dogs in general not to go out and work their heart out for each individual breed - it makes no sense to ask that of them.

Being an active member of a breed club is good for some and not good for others but the only way we can get enough that its good for is to have more involved in the breed in the first place and numbers are dropping - that is numbers of breeders and numbers of puppies being bred and therefore new faces for the future.

I understand you feel its the same issue and I agree there are issues which need to be addressed separately and that of course each will impact but I think you miss the main issue and misunderstand what a breed club's purpose is. Some people will feel they are being alienated all groups will feel the need to justify and promote themselves over any other - thats the way of the world not just the dog world . They don't need to find and work with common ideals because those who have traditionally been involved in breed clubs already have common ideals .They breed and show a breed of purebred dogs ,they see themselves as the guardians of their particular breed. Some may be better business people, have more energy or time and encourage pet owners , have fun days, do a bit better at promotion etc etc but the basic core of a purebred breed club is the betterment and maintenance of the breed. Like it or not it is all about pedigrees and dog shows and closed gene pools and health and testing etc and its why I'm never likely to have another go at joining one but that doesnt mean I dont appreciate the need for them or the service they provide to their breed. I know what turns people away - it turned me away but its a numbers game . If there are less breeders, less people showing, less puppies being bred less people passionate enough for a breed to look outside their own back yard and work for it generally and less main register dogs available to enable new people to have a go then there are less likely to be suited to the job.

What to do about the bigger picture is needing to be addressed as well but to start with we need more purebred breeders breeding more purebred dogs and selling them to more people on main register.

youve got to be kidding I hope?

that is exactly what got me targeted for elimination.

unless you can change the mindset of the self proclaimed ethicals. no one can sell a main register puppy to a non showi without becoming a target for elimination.

At present that is exactly what will get you labled unethical as you are perceived as pandering to supplying to the puppy farmers. No thought of encouraging newbies. well unless they are prepared to pay for the pup but not actually own it, have to agree to co-ownership with the breeder who will make all decision regarding to breed or not, with that animal or not, for starters. many would rather not have one on those terms so head to the plenty available without pedigrees or all the belly crawing first.

how to change the mindset? the libbers have done a good job, its going to be very hard to turn that around, back to encouraging newbies like Phil Burgess and her Elfreda kennels, did. so successfully.

Edited by asal

asal, you are extrapolating what happened to you out to the entire pedigree dog world. Your troubles seem to have been caused, by your own account, by people in your own breed not by AR activists. Didn't people in your breed club make the complaint?

And Steve, not all breeds have a breed club. Are you suggesting breeds can only survive if there is one? I'll point out that not all breeds have the numbers to have a club. Even if they did, there's little to attract the average pet owner, particularly for those outside capital cities. I can't imagine someone in Broken Hill travelling to a breed day that's held in Sydney.

If a breed club focuses on all breeds then what is the point of it being a breed club?

Or are we not to have breeds? Is that what moosmum is saying? confused.gif

No. I'm not saying that pedigree breeders should be responsible for all dogs either,quite the opposite.

I will try to find a better way to explain, Asals experiences are relevent,but P.C.time is limited ATM.

Edited by moosmum

Yep. So why does intolerance to anything else have to be made a condition of membership?

Its been made a condition of membership that they don't tolerate diversity.Then you ask for that within the breed clubs.

Yep. So why does intolerance to anything else have to be made a condition of membership?

Its been made a condition of membership that they don't tolerate diversity.Then you ask for that within the breed clubs.

I don't recall 'must be intolerant of diversity' as a condition of my breed's club but again, perhaps you mean something else?